Sainsburys New Opening Time & 1hr for elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers, NHS and Social Care workers on Mon, Wed & Fri 8am - 9am

Posted 21st Mar
I wanted to write to you again to update you on the steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to food and essential items. I'm also sharing more information about how we are supporting our colleagues in these challenging times and how you can help.

An increasing number of you have told me that you're not always able to get the items that you need when you need them. We are working with our suppliers to get even more stock of essential items and we are adding warehouse capacity on a daily basis. You will have seen that we put restrictions in place this week to ensure that more products are on shelf for longer. From Monday 23rd March, we are consolidating our opening hours and all our supermarkets will be open from 8am to 8pm, Monday-Saturday, including those with an Argos store. Sunday opening, Sainsbury’s Local and petrol station opening times will stay the same.

This means we can focus our store colleagues’ time on keeping shelves stocked and serving our customers well during the times that most of you are already shopping.

Last Thursday, we set aside an hour for elderly and vulnerable shoppers in our supermarkets. Many of you have told me how much you appreciated this and that you would like this to become a regular event. Some of you also said we should extend this to members of our hardworking NHS and Social Care workers. And we will be doing just that.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, all our supermarkets will dedicate 8am - 9am to serving elderly, disabled and vulnerable customers, as well as NHS and Social Care workers. They will just need to show us their pass or ID when they visit. Some of you fed back that you couldn’t find what you wanted during that hour, so we will try our best to have essential items on shelf for these customers. We will be working to keep our shelves well stocked and would encourage customers to arrive throughout the hour to prevent queues forming and to help everyone keep a safe distance.

Hundreds of you have written to me to thank our amazing colleagues who are working around the clock to serve our customers. A number of you have also shared your concerns for the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues. I want you to know that we are doing all we can to support everyone who works in our business. We have committed to paying all colleagues who are unwell or need to self-isolate for the full period of fourteen days. We have also committed to paying vulnerable and elderly colleagues in full if the government decides they should isolate for 12 weeks. We hope this will go some way to helping our teams through this uncertain time and we are looking at other ways to thank our colleagues for their extraordinary efforts.

To keep our colleagues safe, I need to ask again for your help. Please do your best to stand one metre away from colleagues in our stores where you can. And we would prefer you to pay with card rather than cash at our tills. Please also treat our colleagues and other customers with kindness and respect. These are unprecedented circumstances and our colleagues are being asked to come to work every day while so many others are being asked to stay at home. We all need them to keep coming to work to feed the nation – a small thank you goes a really long way.

I hope you will join us in looking out for each other and the communities that we serve.

From

Mike Coupe
CEO Sainsbury's
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
moh_mons21/03/2020 04:14

The CEO is a clown, glad he is leaving Sainsbury's

wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and theres gonna be chaos and panic. And mistakes. Its a massive problem to navigate. Plus its customers being greedy & selfish thats caused the shortages.
44 Comments
The feedback from their first opening for the elderly was very poor.

I hope they think this out, implement it properly and actually have stock on the shelves for them this time
Edited by: "Gollywood" 21st Mar
If you have elderly friend/relative/neighbour then offer to shop for them. They are very vulnerable right now. No time is a good time to shop.

wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and theres gonna be chaos and panic. And mistakes. Its a massive problem to navigate. Plus its customers being greedy & selfish thats caused the shortages.
Quad21/03/2020 04:23

wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and …wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and theres gonna be chaos and panic. And mistakes. Its a massive problem to navigate. Plus its customers being greedy & selfish thats caused the shortages.

Tottaly agree mistakes happen in sudden crisis like this why these people are being selfish and stock piling I will never know..
Gollywood21/03/2020 03:47

The feedback from their first opening for the elderly was very poor.I hope …The feedback from their first opening for the elderly was very poor.I hope they think this out, implement it properly and actually have stock on the shelves for them this time

Give them a chance will you
Quad21/03/2020 04:19

If you have elderly friend/relative/neighbour then offer to shop for them. …If you have elderly friend/relative/neighbour then offer to shop for them. They are very vulnerable right now. No time is a good time to shop.

Agreed. I'm doing all my Nan's shopping. Not sure how they're going to police this protected hour as when I went yesterday there were still people doing as they pleased and buying multiples of everything.

It's a logistical nightmare. Placement is still open for university (social work) and then I work in the care sector, where some of the duties are to buy groceries for those who can't get to the shops. People just need to calm down and think of others as honestly, the impact this is having on the elderly is horrendous and I see it every day.
Quad21/03/2020 04:23

wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and …wish people would stop with these harsh judgements its a sudden crisis and theres gonna be chaos and panic. And mistakes. Its a massive problem to navigate. Plus its customers being greedy & selfish thats caused the shortages.

enn1921/03/2020 04:26

Tottaly agree mistakes happen in sudden crisis like this why these people …Tottaly agree mistakes happen in sudden crisis like this why these people are being selfish and stock piling I will never know..

To be fair to the Op they probably aren’t talking about his recent work during the virus but the fact he sang we are in the money live on tv when he thought no one was listening when he announced the Asda merger then got it kicked out later after wasting millions.

browne8121/03/2020 04:29

Agreed. I'm doing all my Nan's shopping. Not sure how they're going to …Agreed. I'm doing all my Nan's shopping. Not sure how they're going to police this protected hour as when I went yesterday there were still people doing as they pleased and buying multiples of everything.It's a logistical nightmare. Placement is still open for university (social work) and then I work in the care sector, where some of the duties are to buy groceries for those who can't get to the shops. People just need to calm down and think of others as honestly, the impact this is having on the elderly is horrendous and I see it every day.

totally agree, and it’s only going to get worse now the restrictions coming into force, we have ourselves to shop for, and two sets of parents ideally we now have to do three separate shops as a household and imagine how that’s going to work and that’s without offering help for elderly neighbours.

War time rationing will have to come into play can’t see any way round it.

Saying that my 70 year old Mam is adamant she still wants to do her own shopping in her own!
This was started by a small store in NI
Months ago.
Sainsbury's are not a charity like Tesco etc a lot of prices have gone up.
Remember the "We,re in the Money ".
Nothing has changed.
eslick21/03/2020 04:45

totally agree, and it’s only going to get worse now the restrictions c …totally agree, and it’s only going to get worse now the restrictions coming into force, we have ourselves to shop for, and two sets of parents ideally we now have to do three separate shops as a household and imagine how that’s going to work and that’s without offering help for elderly neighbours.War time rationing will have to come into play can’t see any way round it. Saying that my 70 year old Mam is adamant she still wants to do her own shopping in her own!

Exactly. I didn't and couldn't get anything for my home yesterday morning, so had to go shopping again last night and make do with what was left... luckily it was a frozen pizza and red wine. No staples like bread, eggs, meat.

Stay safe
malm21/03/2020 04:55

This was started by a small store in NIMonths ago.Sainsbury's are not a …This was started by a small store in NIMonths ago.Sainsbury's are not a charity like Tesco etc a lot of prices have gone up.Remember the "We,re in the Money ".Nothing has changed.

Was shocked at the till receipt that the paracetamol were 70p per packet
If everyone knew just how invasive the treatment for this Virus can be they would all be at home self isolating.
But the big companies don't make enough money delivering groceries so wont be putting
The time and effort in to them they really should be.
My local Asda is insanely busy but hasn't done anything about new staff.
browne8121/03/2020 05:52

Was shocked at the till receipt that the paracetamol were 70p per packet

My local Pharmacy has taken all the paracetamol off the shelves and selling them in a plain box with his Pharmacy label on, Yes you guessed it triple the price now, Its profiteering on a humungous scale.

Dirty robbing thieving B******
Fox_meister21/03/2020 06:08

My local Pharmacy has taken all the paracetamol off the shelves and …My local Pharmacy has taken all the paracetamol off the shelves and selling them in a plain box with his Pharmacy label on, Yes you guessed it triple the price now, Its profiteering on a humungous scale.Dirty robbing thieving B******

Grr... it's a disgrace. I appreciate that people have to compensate for staff sickness etc, but the difference in profits should come from government strategies not from the pockets of individuals
It would be better if the times were staggered. I work for the NHS and will be at work all them times. Nice gesture though
Does anyone know what documents they will accept to enter at this time. I've three special needs kids and have been struggling to get foods they can eat for a couple of weeks now. Would dla or diagnosis letters be suitable?
lynne19221/03/2020 06:21

Does anyone know what documents they will accept to enter at this time. …Does anyone know what documents they will accept to enter at this time. I've three special needs kids and have been struggling to get foods they can eat for a couple of weeks now. Would dla or diagnosis letters be suitable?

Yes I'm sure it will as that's what I will take with me, if you are classed as a carer take the letter with you hope this helps
scottydogg8121/03/2020 06:31

Yes I'm sure it will as that's what I will take with me, if you are …Yes I'm sure it will as that's what I will take with me, if you are classed as a carer take the letter with you hope this helps

Thank you. Wasnt sure how it worked as dont fancy trekking my 3 disabled kids with me to a store that early.
Where is the source? I can't find the original letter or announcement from Mike coupe anywhere.
So if I do shopping for my nan. Who's ID do I need to show. Also can I buy stuff for myself and kids or just for older people
There is a simple solution to this.....people STOP panicking buying, and STOP stockpiling. There is no shortage of food. It’s just the supply chain can’t cope with all this selfish inconsiderate action. Supermarkets can cope with the 25% uptake in sales due to people not being able to eat out.
Is it really a good idea to have the vulnerable and NHS workers shopping at the same time? It helps them get stuff but NHS staff are much likely to have been exposed to the virus. Could this be increasing the risk for the vulnerable? Maybe Tuesday and Thursday could be used for one group instead.
adic21/03/2020 07:03

There is a simple solution to this.....people STOP panicking buying, and …There is a simple solution to this.....people STOP panicking buying, and STOP stockpiling. There is no shortage of food. It’s just the supply chain can’t cope with all this selfish inconsiderate action. Supermarkets can cope with the 25% uptake in sales due to people not being able to eat out.

The weirdest thing I've seen sell out is stuff that doesn't have high volumes of sales. It's not on the shelves anymore. Makes me think the stockpiling idiots will end up throwing these things away because they will not have any clue what to do with them
Ash.Partridge21/03/2020 04:51

Where is the source? I can't find the original letter or announcement from …Where is the source? I can't find the original letter or announcement from Mike coupe anywhere.

It's an email. I have recieved it too.
19DembaBa1921/03/2020 04:57

So if I do shopping for my nan. Who's ID do I need to show. Also can I buy …So if I do shopping for my nan. Who's ID do I need to show. Also can I buy stuff for myself and kids or just for older people

That's despicable if you want to buy things for yourself at the times allocated for the elderly and vulnerable.
19DembaBa1921/03/2020 04:57

So if I do shopping for my nan. Who's ID do I need to show. Also can I buy …So if I do shopping for my nan. Who's ID do I need to show. Also can I buy stuff for myself and kids or just for older people

I doubt anyone would police your trolley. However, the fact you ask the question perhaps tells you it would not be very moral to do the family shop as well.
Based on European neighbours, their shops were empty for a period and now back to normal.
Morrisons are also opening 8am to 8pm except Sunday from the 23rd of March with a dedicated hour for NHS workers.
I have just come back from Sainsbury's and it was empty. They didn't bother to stock up and their was only 10 customers in there
I’m trying to find out who falls into the criteria of being vulnerable or disabled...my son has asthma and food allergies and finding it impossible to source the only items of food he’s relied on for the last 9 year and I have a disabilities also...I don’t think supermarkets are explaining who all comes into these criteria’s enough!
Hi would it be reasonable to give the local store a call some of my patients with” invisible illness” like mild MS and early Parkinson’s are the same
alternatively go in and ask the store manager HTH
Such a shame that my first order on Sainsbury's online groceries ordered on 03rd March supposed to be delivered on 18th never got delivered. After a hopeful text on 17th I stayed home for getting the delivery. I get a email on 19th that my order is cancelled. No apologies no reason whatsoever. If they wanted to modify or cancel my order they should have informed me earlier not after delive date. Sainsbury's poor management. Was on phone for almost an hour without any one picking up. Shame. We'll remember this in good times.
Edited by: "tcotpatpwtcot" 21st Mar
19DembaBa1921/03/2020 10:12

I have just come back from Sainsbury's and it was empty. They didn't …I have just come back from Sainsbury's and it was empty. They didn't bother to stock up and their was only 10 customers in there

You seriously think that they “didnt bother” to stock up..... or its all been bought and more lorries didn’t magically appear. I can assure you there is nothing being kept out the back.
tcotpatpwtcot21/03/2020 10:48

Such a shame that my first order on Sainsbury's online groceries ordered …Such a shame that my first order on Sainsbury's online groceries ordered on 03rd March supposed to be delivered on 18th never got delivered. After a hopeful text on 17th I stayed home for getting the delivery. I get a email on 19th that my order is cancelled. No apologies no reason whatsoever. If they wanted to modify or cancel my order they should have informed me earlier not after delive date. Sainsbury's poor management. Was on phone for almost an hour without any one picking up. Shame. We'll remember this in good times.

I am in the Same situation as you. Ordered on 12th March for delivery on 18th March. No calls or text just cancelled and got 2 emails on the day and also a text to confirm the order. Phone line is so busy waited 5 hours on 3 separate calls and it isn't worth ordering from them again. I placed my order and didn't bother buying anything because I thought it would be delivered but now I got no delivery and there is no stock anywhere. It's a double blow and I should be compensated for this kind of treatment
Do folks not realise that shops only sells what's available? I'm sure suppliers are struggling to keep up with the demands. A truck can only hold so much of everything that it brings into stores.
You can actually feel the panic in this thread, you need to relax.
JamieBeveridge21/03/2020 10:56

You seriously think that they “didnt bother” to stock up..... or its all be …You seriously think that they “didnt bother” to stock up..... or its all been bought and more lorries didn’t magically appear. I can assure you there is nothing being kept out the back.

IMO Sainsbury's have shown poor management. And I'm pretty sure they are not going to survive for long on their own. All other supermarket have just scathed through.Proper rationing, Two 1 hour slots for elderly and essential service sector, letting a batch of customers enter at specific intervals. Food and other essential food items to be allotted more shelf space etc. Would have stopped panic buying.
1 hour!!!! really, by the time I get to the back of the store, an hour has already gone
Should have been 3 hours or still better 1st half of the day.
Rugrats21/03/2020 16:35

1 hour!!!! really, by the time I get to the back of the store, an hour has …1 hour!!!! really, by the time I get to the back of the store, an hour has already gone Should have been 3 hours or still better 1st half of the day.

I tell you what. You can send someone to do your shopping and they can get it done faster
STRICKIBHOY21/03/2020 12:19

Do folks not realise that shops only sells what's available? I'm sure …Do folks not realise that shops only sells what's available? I'm sure suppliers are struggling to keep up with the demands. A truck can only hold so much of everything that it brings into stores. You can actually feel the panic in this thread, you need to relax.

The truck has been bringing everything to store but the staff are too lazy to stock up and that's the reason why shelves are empty. I was told by a worker who works in Sainsburys
19DembaBa1921/03/2020 23:11

The truck has been bringing everything to store but the staff are too lazy …The truck has been bringing everything to store but the staff are too lazy to stock up and that's the reason why shelves are empty. I was told by a worker who works in Sainsburys

If you believe that, then that's hilarious
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants