EXPIRED

Sainsburys - No date on cans of tomatoes

What should I do I bought 4 cans of tomatoes and 3 hasn't got any date on. What is my rights?

30 Comments

take them back and ask to exchange them for ones with dates on, it shouldn't be a problem

Eat them they will be fine

Original Poster

ok, can i take them to trading standards or environmental health? because they should not be selling things without date on?

were they in a 4 pack?

What is my rights?

You can has cheezburger

does it really matter?

sharonwai;5113793

ok, can i take them to trading standards or environmental health? because … ok, can i take them to trading standards or environmental health? because they should not be selling things without date on?

Probably but is it really worth the effort?

Original Poster

i bought them each for 33p

Your rights are that you should take them back to the retailer for an exchange or refund. If someone bothered me at my work with such a trivial complaint, I'd show them the door (I work in EH).

sharonwai;5113793

ok, can i take them to trading standards or environmental health? because … ok, can i take them to trading standards or environmental health? because they should not be selling things without date on?

What is the world coming to?

Original Poster

moob;5113839

Your rights are that you should take them back to the retailer for an … Your rights are that you should take them back to the retailer for an exchange or refund. If someone bothered me at my work with such a trivial complaint, I'd show them the door (I work in EH).

oh ic....but i know if they sell goods that has not got dates or expired they get fined thousands..is that true?

Original Poster

ok thanks for the help also thanks for just expiring my post!!!!

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5113873

Oh point proven, said as I was typing, compensayssshun. :x:roll:

lol some ppl get annoyed because i said all this, but they don't realise it's hassle for me who buy it ...

sharonwai;5113845

oh ic....but i know if they sell goods that has not got dates or expired … oh ic....but i know if they sell goods that has not got dates or expired they get fined thousands..is that true?

No. This would only happen if they had a track record of selling foods that were out of date and that were a risk to the health of those consuming said foods.

Canned foods tend to last for 10yrs plus - and don't come into that category.

Banned

sharonwai;5113891

lol some ppl get annoyed because i said all this, but they don't realise … lol some ppl get annoyed because i said all this, but they don't realise it's hassle for me who buy it ...

grow up and move on.

what a pathetic post

sharonwai;5113793

Jesus Christ. People like you should be shot. Trading Standards and Environmental Health operate to do useful things to help people out when large sums of cash or their health are in danger. Y'know, serious stuff that actually matters. No Best Before dates on a tin of tomatos? Oh no! Waaa! Waaa! Waaa! Mummy!

Look, tinned tomatoes don't even need dates. They will not go off inside that sealed tin, they just might start to degrade and not taste as nice anymore. That's what the Best Before dates that you usually get on these things mean. And while the food inside the tin might taste its best before that date passes, you can quite happily and healthily eat it afterwards. This is why it's traditional to take tinned food into the nuclear bomb shelter with you, rather than, say, three tons of freshly cooked lamb casserole in a really really large pot. You see, the date really doesn't matter.

I shudder to think at how petty and compensation-clawing a person you must be if you genuinely would rather take Saisnbury's to EH and TS because the date didn't print properly rather than simply go to the customer service desk and get new tins as LastLastStar suggested. Jesus.

sharonwai;5113891

lol some ppl get annoyed because i said all this, but they don't realise … lol some ppl get annoyed because i said all this, but they don't realise it's hassle for me who buy it ...

Next time if it really bothers you, make sure you can is dated before buying.

why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholders

they are bound by consumer law - they shouldnt be allowed to get away with anything

you tell that to pensioner who goes to prison because they object to paying council tax - so they can use that money on projects they disagree with etc - they take the consequences

or the depressed man / woman who shoplifts a stupid item - they get done

people over the years have fought for rights - lets not throw them away so tesco can rule the country

you all think its ok for tesco to flaunt the laws of this country - so long as they do cheap beer etc

come on - so easy to shout compensation culture -

had my rant!!

Banned

"what should i do?"

watch Jeremy Kyle and see if you are on it?

holly100;5113987

why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are … why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are bound by consumer law - they shouldnt be allowed to get away with anything you tell that to pensioner who goes to prison because they object to paying council tax - so they can use that money on projects they disagree with etc - they take the consequencesor the depressed man / woman who shoplifts a stupid item - they get donepeople over the years have fought for rights - lets not throw them away so tesco can rule the countryyou all think its ok for tesco to flaunt the laws of this country come on - so easy to shout compensation culture - had my rant!!

It was Sainsburys :whistling:

dxx;5113962

Jesus Christ. People like you should be shot. Trading Standards and … Jesus Christ. People like you should be shot. Trading Standards and Environmental Health operate to do useful things to help people out when large sums of cash or their health are in danger. Y'know, serious stuff that actually matters. No Best Before dates on a tin of tomatos? Oh no! Waaa! Waaa! Waaa! Mummy!Look, tinned tomatoes don't even need dates. They will not go off inside that sealed tin, they just might start to degrade and not taste as nice anymore. That's what the Best Before dates that you usually get on these things mean. And while the food inside the tin might taste its best before that date passes, you can quite happily and healthily eat it afterwards. This is why it's traditional to take tinned food into the nuclear bomb shelter with you, rather than, say, three tons of freshly cooked lamb casserole in a really really large pot. You see, the date really doesn't matter. I shudder to think at how petty and compensation-clawing a person you must be if you genuinely would rather take Saisnbury's to EH and TS because the date didn't print properly rather than simply go to the customer service desk and get new tins as LastLastStar suggested. Jesus.

Man, you're in a right ranting mood these days dxx - saw your Alex Salmond post yesterday. :lol:

I agree with what you're saying however, except the them not needing a date code.

Original Poster

dxx;5113962

Jesus Christ. People like you should be shot. Trading Standards and … Jesus Christ. People like you should be shot. Trading Standards and Environmental Health operate to do useful things to help people out when large sums of cash or their health are in danger. Y'know, serious stuff that actually matters. No Best Before dates on a tin of tomatos? Oh no! Waaa! Waaa! Waaa! Mummy!Look, tinned tomatoes don't even need dates. They will not go off inside that sealed tin, they just might start to degrade and not taste as nice anymore. That's what the Best Before dates that you usually get on these things mean. And while the food inside the tin might taste its best before that date passes, you can quite happily and healthily eat it afterwards. This is why it's traditional to take tinned food into the nuclear bomb shelter with you, rather than, say, three tons of freshly cooked lamb casserole in a really really large pot. You see, the date really doesn't matter. I shudder to think at how petty and compensation-clawing a person you must be if you genuinely would rather take Saisnbury's to EH and TS because the date didn't print properly rather than simply go to the customer service desk and get new tins as LastLastStar suggested. Jesus.

Don;t use the name of Christ in Vain.
lol
This all just question so i dunno why you guys take it so seriously, don't take it out on me just because you are having a hard time with life.

Try shooting me you will go to jail!!!!

Banned

holly100;5113987

why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are … why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are bound by consumer law - they shouldnt be allowed to get away with anything you tell that to pensioner who goes to prison because they object to paying council tax - so they can use that money on projects they disagree with etc - they take the consequencesor the depressed man / woman who shoplifts a stupid item - they get donepeople over the years have fought for rights - lets not throw them away so tesco can rule the countryyou all think its ok for tesco to flaunt the laws of this country come on - so easy to shout compensation culture - had my rant!!

Whats Tesco got to do with this post?

The point being made is that any sane normal person of reasonable intelligence would return the cans to the store if they thought it was that big a deal. No crime has been committed, no-one has been hurt.

The OP is blatantly looking for something for nothing.

Original Poster

J.Dance;5113985

Next time if it really bothers you, make sure you can is dated before … Next time if it really bothers you, make sure you can is dated before buying.

i trust them that's why i did not look isn't that their job rather than the consumers????

LaoTzu;5114001

It was Sainsburys :whistling:

apologise -

same difference not as big

holly100;5113987

why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are … why all these negative comments - are you all tesco shareholdersthey are bound by consumer law - they shouldnt be allowed to get away with anything you tell that to pensioner who goes to prison because they object to paying council tax - so they can use that money on projects they disagree with etc - they take the consequencesor the depressed man / woman who shoplifts a stupid item - they get donepeople over the years have fought for rights - lets not throw them away so tesco can rule the countryyou all think its ok for tesco to flaunt the laws of this country - so long as they do cheap beer etccome on - so easy to shout compensation culture - had my rant!!

It's because the matter in question is so trivial, and as dxx said, we in EH have significantly more important issues to deal with than a can of tomatoes being sold without a date code on them.

The issue folk have with this is that everyone seems to want their pound of flesh these days, it's turning our society into that of the USA, where folk are scared to take risks in fear of being sued. It's pathetic.

Original Poster

Calm down everyone at the end of the day it's just a discussion , I wanted to know what are ppl thoughts.

So Shut UP now.

sharonwai;5114017

i trust them that's why i did not look isn't that their job rather than … i trust them that's why i did not look isn't that their job rather than the consumers????

No its whoever puts the product into the can, so thats some factory in China

Banned

what sif the tomatoes in the no-date cans have Swine Flu??

sharonwai;5114034

Calm down everyone at the end of the day it's just a discussion , I … Calm down everyone at the end of the day it's just a discussion , I wanted to know what are ppl thoughts.So Shut UP now.

Well peoples thoughts seem to be that you are a bit of a money grabbing plonker.

I'm with the people

So Shut UP now.

thanks.

xxx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764006
    2. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??66
    3. What an absolute disgrace2157
    4. Weekly game codes giveaway 182720

See more discussions