Expired

Sainsburys petrol pump car damage, where do I stand?

Found 28th Feb 2012
The other day I went to Sainsburys and they only had 2 lanes open with a long queue. At the entry to each lane there is a big banner in front of the pumps saying To avoid waiting fill up at either side of pump. Extra long reach hoses.

So I did just that (I have done this before at morrisons and Tesco with no problem) but the Sainsburys hoses have this rather rigid U shaped rubber sleeve over the hose and basically this has ended up putting deep scratches into the boot lid AND the rear Glass.

I went back today and spoke to their manager who said the pumps are designed to be usable with a Tank on either side of a car. Yet when I took a quick look over the pumps it seems that the hose on this pump only was so long that the bottom of the hose was touchiong the floor, whilst all the others were off the ground.

I would presume the extra length is what has allowed the hose to get grit embedded into it and thus caused the deep scratching.

I know Misc is full of legal/consumer rights experts and would like to ask you guys were I stand on this one (esp bearing in mind the signs suggesting filling from the other side of the pump at busy times).

fuelled egos burnt, epic reverse-backfire, GJBSM
- v5535

BSc student with no common sense cries about his own stupidity when let loose in the real world.

- dga
Community Updates
MiscCarPetrolPumps
109 Comments
btw I took the liberty of getting photos of the offending pump/hose and the other pumps with "off the ground hoses" as well as the signs promoting this use of their extra long hoses.
So YOU damaged YOUR car but its the garages fault? oO
cdm22

So YOU damaged YOUR car but its the garages fault? oO

Yes, the forecourts badly designed "extra long hoses designed for filling up from the other side" caused the damage.
So you acknowledged that the hose wasn't long enough, then decided to rest it on the boot/rear window of your car?
bargain surfer

Yes, the forecourts badly designed "extra long hoses designed for filling … Yes, the forecourts badly designed "extra long hoses designed for filling up from the other side" caused the damage.

No you caused the damage by allowing the hose to rub on your car.
the dandy p

So you acknowledged that the hose wasn't long enough, then decided to … So you acknowledged that the hose wasn't long enough, then decided to rest it on the boot/rear window of your car?

The forecourt banners AND manager acknowledged the hoses are long enough but then the **** who designed the hoses decided that a rigid U shaped cowl over the hose would be a good idea, this is what caused the damage, had the hose not been encased thus it would have been easily long enough not to have caused damage. Literally a case of BAD DESIGN.

sheesh where are the real Misc legal eagles when you need them?
bargain surfer

Yes, the forecourts badly designed "extra long hoses designed for filling … Yes, the forecourts badly designed "extra long hoses designed for filling up from the other side" caused the damage.

do they tell you to drag them right over your car?

if i ever use these kind of hoses i position my car so i dont have to damage the paintwork

i thought most people did the same
Inactive

No you caused the damage by allowing the hose to rub on your car.

Hi Smarty pants, seeing as you are such a lateral thinker tell answer this:
How would you know if the hose is going to reach without trying it first?
casparwhite

do they tell you to drag them right over your car?if i ever use these … do they tell you to drag them right over your car?if i ever use these kind of hoses i position my car so i dont have to damage the paintworki thought most people did the same

It's a saloon.
bargain surfer

The forecourt banners AND manager acknowledged the hoses are long enough … The forecourt banners AND manager acknowledged the hoses are long enough but then the **** who designed the hoses decided that a rigid U shaped cowl over the hose would be a good idea, this is what caused the damage, had the hose not been encased thus it would have been easily long enough not to have caused damage. Literally a case of BAD DESIGN.sheesh where are the real Misc legal eagles when you need them?

If you clearly saw that the 'cowl' meant the hose wasn't long enough, then why did you use it?
bargain surfer

It's a saloon.

so i ask a question "did they tell you to drag the hose over your car?"

then you answer with

"its a saloon"

very strange......
Edited by: "casparwhite" 28th Feb 2012
bargain surfer

The forecourt banners AND manager acknowledged the hoses are long enough … The forecourt banners AND manager acknowledged the hoses are long enough but then the **** who designed the hoses decided that a rigid U shaped cowl over the hose would be a good idea, this is what caused the damage, had the hose not been encased thus it would have been easily long enough not to have caused damage. Literally a case of BAD DESIGN.sheesh where are the real Misc legal eagles when you need them?

google.co.uk/sea…ump

Doesn't seem anyone else had this problem. Use it correctly next time.
casparwhite

so i ask a question "did they tell you to drag the hose over your … so i ask a question "did they tell you to drag the hose over your car?"then you answer with"its a saloon"very strange......

With the positioning of the cowl in relation to the nozzle there is no way any saloon/estate car is going to have that nozzle reach the fuel cap unless it goes over the boot lid, either way they should not be advising customers to use the pump from the other side. Even a hatchback would have the hose going accross the back of the car.
t0mm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1MDND_enGB451GB451&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sainsburys+badly+designed+fuel+pump#hl=en&rlz=1C1MDND_enGB451GB451&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22sainsburys+badly+designed+fuel+pump%22&pbx=1&oq=%22sainsburys+badly+designed+fuel+pump%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1978l3852l0l4044l4l4l0l0l0l0l100l337l3.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=bf56d27dba7e0d1b&biw=1366&bih=667Doesn't seem anyone else had this problem. Use it correctly next time.

No, but then no other petrol stations blatantly suggest using the pump from the oipposite side, Your text here
bargain surfer

With the positioning of the cowl in relation to the nozzle there is no … With the positioning of the cowl in relation to the nozzle there is no way any saloon/estate car is going to have that nozzle reach the fuel cap unless it goes over the boot lid, either way they should not be advising customers to use the pump from the other side. Even a hatchback would have the hose going accross the back of the car.

in your opinion......

we'll just have to take your word for it

nobody forced you to do it and if you saw it was going to drag on your car then you should have used your brain for a second and either not used it or put something underneath to protect it

either way you did the damage noone else
just because a banner suggests it, doesn't mean you should do it

did you not see that it wasn't going to reach properly without **** up your paint?

"deep scratches into the boot lid AND the rear Glass"

for that to happen, you must have been swinging it around on your car, where were you looking while this was going on, why not stop what you were doing?
casparwhite

in your opinion......we'll just have to take your word for it nobody … in your opinion......we'll just have to take your word for it nobody forced you to do it and if you saw it was going to drag on your car then you should have used your brain for a second and either not used it or put something underneath to protect iteither way you did the damage noone else

You are right I wasn't forced to use the pump, either way there are solid banners ahead of each pump advertising the extra long reach hoses which are designed to allow filing from either side of a car.

Unfortunately on this occassion I filled up from the ONLY pump which had a hose that was TOO LONG meaning that a section of it was always dragging and collecting grit. Of the 18 pumps normally operational this was the only hose touching the floor like this. As far as I can tell the cowl is designed to make sure that the hose DOESN'T damage vehicles, as it is from a softer grade of rubber. The extra length has allowed the otherwise "protective" cowl to become embedded with grit.
I park my car well forward of the pump so the hose doesn't even touch my car because I KNOW there will be grit on it. I fuel from the right...so I use my left hand to hold the hose out away from the boot of my car, right hand to fill up. Granted it is a MPV/Hatchback but don't see how it would be different for a Saloon. Hold it up.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 28th Feb 2012
bargain surfer

You are right I wasn't forced to use the pump, either way there are solid … You are right I wasn't forced to use the pump, either way there are solid banners ahead of each pump advertising the extra long reach hoses which are designed to allow filing from either side of a car.Unfortunately on this occassion I filled up from the ONLY pump which had a hose that was TOO LONG meaning that a section of it was always dragging and collecting grit. Of the 18 pumps normally operational this was the only hose touching the floor like this. As far as I can tell the cowl is designed to make sure that the hose DOESN'T damage vehicles, as it is from a softer grade of rubber.

so now youre saying it was too long......

if it was too long surely it was long enough to trail on the ground and not your car.....make up your mind
casparwhite

so now youre saying it was too long...... if it was too long surely it … so now youre saying it was too long...... if it was too long surely it was long enough to trail on the ground and not your car.....make up your mind

Never said it was too short.

These pumps are similar to how the jetwash hoses and have their hoses coming from a raised pole, like I said this particaular hose was badly designed. I have been driving for over 20 years and have never had this happen before.

I could put pictures up to show you guys the setup but can't be bothered. The manager was quite surprised and in agreement that the hoses are designed for use from either side and that the hose was too long by touching the floor (the other were about 6-12" off the deck), had I parked any closer to the pump I would have hit it. He did log the complaint and I am waiting for a call from Sainsburys CS.
bargain surfer

Never said it was too short.

ok so what did you mean by this?

had the hose not been encased thus it would have been easily long enough … had the hose not been encased thus it would have been easily long enough not to have caused damage

Edited by: "casparwhite" 28th Feb 2012
Where's your petrol cap? On the roof of your car?
Someone should know when to stop digging themselves a crater.
It's not sainsburys fault that you are the one in a million who couldn't use the pump correctly.
bargain surfer

...sheesh where are the real Misc legal eagles when you need them?

They have been assimilated into the "mod team":

[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/magicjay1986 ]

bargain surfer

...I would presume the extra length is what has allowed the hose to get … ...I would presume the extra length is what has allowed the hose to get grit embedded into it and thus caused the deep scratching...

I would say that until you can prove what caused the scratching your case isn't going to get off the ground (regardless of hose length).

Do you also have photographs of your car's bodywork prior to, during, & just after fuelling?

BFN,

fp.
I dread to think what damage you would have done if you had been let loose at 1 of the other pumps with a short hose.
I think you must be getting the message by now.

Operator error.

Stop looking for someone else to blame.
You probably 'stand out' as a whinin' jobsworth
Epic thread fail

What the hell were you doing to scratch the glass?

If you kerbed an alloy would it be the councils fault for installing higher kerbs?
Don't think you will get my empathy here. Are you sure the marks won't just polish out?

There is usually like a harder pvc/plastic u bend. I have filled up literally hundreds of times cars, vans, my car, works vehicles, here cars and have never had such an issue and I use both sides of the pumps. Typically you would be a little careful dragging the hose over your vehicle but even so I have never scratched mine but there have been one or two marks in dust or that just polish off, but never scratches.
self service? self responsibility
I cannot understand in any shape or form that once you had picked up the pump and saw the hose touching your car, you didn't place it back and move your car to a better position so the hose did not touch your car?

What on earth possessed you to continue filling up your car when the hose was on your car and liable to dirty up, let alone scratch your paintwork?

Glass is much tougher, the only way there are deep scratches is if the hose was 'grinding' into it and would have been blatantly noticeable and therefore you should have stopped what you were doing.

You had the choice not to fill your car up if the positioning of your car was awkward with the positioning of operating the pump and you could have driven around and queued up for a different pump where your fuel cap is adjacent to the pump.
Just be more careful next time.
Oh Hi there! I've worked in motor claims for years and have seen cases like this before. Unfortunately you haven't really got a leg to stand on.

You have to prove that the other party (Sainsburys) was in some way negligent in causing the damage to your car. You could argue that the hose was faulty / badly maintained etc....however....here comes your problem......

You CHOSE to stretch that hose over your car. You CHOSE not to wait until a pump was free or to come back later. No one from Sainsburys forced you to use a pump that day.

In 10 years of working in motor claims I've seen a few cases similar to this and not one of them has succeeded.
I'm not gonna bother reading this thread, only what you did. It's your fault for dragging a large rigid hose over your car because that's pretty bloody obvious as a bad idea.
Maybe the people who thought of the banners assumed you'd possess common sense but obviously you don't.
bargain surfer

No, but then no other petrol stations blatantly suggest using the pump … No, but then no other petrol stations blatantly suggest using the pump from the oipposite side, Your text here

Tesco do and quite a few others

Hope you get it sorted but dont think sainsburys will do anything

Edited by: "deanos" 28th Feb 2012
Someone pranged my car door with theirs when they opened it in an asda car park, should I complain to them saying that their spaces are too narrow, if they were larger it never would have happened....

...live in the real world, it was clearly your own fault.
I never fill up on the wrong side. When I worked in shop/petrol station, I saw plenty of people try it without the longer hose and fail miserably and simply don't like having to stretch it over for many reasons including this one.

I did it once right enough, because I forgot which side of my car the tank was on Easily done when you've spent the last 5 years filling up on the left then the new car has it on the right... grr.
bargain surfer

You are right I wasn't forced to use the pump, either way there are solid … You are right I wasn't forced to use the pump, either way there are solid banners ahead of each pump advertising the extra long reach hoses which are designed to allow filing from either side of a car.Unfortunately on this occassion I filled up from the ONLY pump which had a hose that was TOO LONG meaning that a section of it was always dragging and collecting grit. Of the 18 pumps normally operational this was the only hose touching the floor like this. As far as I can tell the cowl is designed to make sure that the hose DOESN'T damage vehicles, as it is from a softer grade of rubber. The extra length has allowed the otherwise "protective" cowl to become embedded with grit.

so let me get this straight, the sign implied that you could fill your car from either side..............and you did...........
Whether grit was on the hose or not is irrelevant. You allowed the hose to come into contact with your car.

There maybe would be a very small chance of a sucessful claim if there was a Sainsburys employed petrol attendant that filled your car for you. But you did it. So YOU caused whatever damage is now on show.

Learn from your mistake so you dont need to have a complete respray at some point in the future. Or take your mum with you when you fill up next time
Edited by: "WoolyM" 28th Feb 2012
http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/T-CUT-328x367.jpg

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants