Sainsburys Returns Policy on Laptops?

Found 24th Aug 2011
Has anyone returned a laptop/netbook to Sainsburys and been given a full refund?

I emailed them inquiring about this but wanted a more immediate response so i ended up calling them, over the phone i was assured that i could return it even once the seal has been broken. (i luckily recorded the phone call)

Having been assured, i then placed my order. The next day i got an email response to my initial inquiry informing me the item is not returnable.

The laptops due to arrive today, im not in the habit of returning goods, but to myself a laptop is an item you have to use to find out if it is any good.

---------------------------------------
Their policy exception:

Exceptions: for reasons of hygiene, safety and copyright, we cannot refund or exchange the following products unless they are faulty or were not described properly on the website:

• Security sealed items that have had the seal broken.

---------------

15 Comments

Sloth/Mod

You can return it if it is defective. However if you decide to play with it for a while and then change your mind it's tough luck.

You can return if faulty but I don't think you can 'try at home'. You have 14 days I believe to change your mind but breaking the seal will invalidate any 'change of mind' policy.

Original Poster

does the recorded call stand for anything? i did mention to the person that the policy reads broken security sealed items are non-returnable, and that i presumed the laptop box would have a seal, despite of which he told me confidentially that i could still return it within 28 days.

Sloth/Mod

m27try

does the recorded call stand for anything? i did mention to the person … does the recorded call stand for anything? i did mention to the person that the policy reads broken security sealed items are non-returnable, and that i presumed the laptop box would have a seal, despite of which he told me confidentially that i could still return it within 28 days.

Did you advise him you were recording the call? If not then i wouldn't mention it as you have broken the law.

Also did he confirm that it could be returned even if it wasn't faulty?

norfolk_enchance

You can return if faulty but I don't think you can 'try at home'. You … You can return if faulty but I don't think you can 'try at home'. You have 14 days I believe to change your mind but breaking the seal will invalidate any 'change of mind' policy.

Correct its called the 14 day 'cooling off period' and is covered by the sale of goods act on non perishable items.

Op, if you open it why do you think you shoud be able to take it back just because you don't like it.

Recording the telephone is still not going to help you get your refund.

If you dont want it, return it sealed.

Original Poster

Syzable

Did you advise him you were recording the call? If not then i wouldn't … Did you advise him you were recording the call? If not then i wouldn't mention it as you have broken the law. Also did he confirm that it could be returned even if it wasn't faulty?

No i didnt advise him, but yes he said i could return even if it wasn't faulty, i did mention to him that its one of those products you have to use to find out if any good, he agreed.

Sloth/Mod

m27try

No i didnt advise him, but yes he said i could return even if it wasn't … No i didnt advise him, but yes he said i could return even if it wasn't faulty, i did mention to him that its one of those products you have to use to find out if any good, he agreed.

Your best bet would be to ask them for a recording of the call as they log all calls on a server.

However i think you'll be ok with the laptop as they are all much of a muchness.

Original Poster

Syzable

Your best bet would be to ask them for a recording of the call as they … Your best bet would be to ask them for a recording of the call as they log all calls on a server.However i think you'll be ok with the laptop as they are all much of a muchness.

Haha, your probably right

Syzable

Did you advise him you were recording the call? If not then i wouldn't … Did you advise him you were recording the call? If not then i wouldn't mention it as you have broken the law. Also did he confirm that it could be returned even if it wasn't faulty?

No he hasn't.

Sloth/Mod

Benjimoron

No he hasn't.

He has if he wants to play it back to anyone other than himself or the employee at Sainsbury''s.

If he provided it to their line manager for proof (who is a third party) then it would be illegal.

Syzable

He has if he wants to play it back to anyone other than himself or the … He has if he wants to play it back to anyone other than himself or the employee at Sainsbury''s. If he provided it to their line manager for proof (who is a third party) then it would be illegal.

Yep, so he hasn't broken the law by recording the call.

Sloth/Mod

Benjimoron

Yep, so he hasn't broken the law by recording the call.

True........but it's a moot point unless he intends to use it.

A lot of supermarkets take things back within 28 days but like software (ie console games) they often cannot be returned unless faulty.

I agree you shouldn't need to try out the laptop for a bit when ya get it. If you want to try one out don't they have one in store you can try?

Or in another store?

Original Poster

so you can tell the manager youve recorded the call but can't play it back, unless of course your in court. Probably best just asking them if they recorded the call, don't recall hearing any automated message of the call being recorded.

not to worry, just needed a bit a advice, chances are i wont need to return it anyway
Edited by: "m27try" 24th Aug 2011

Sloth/Mod

m27try

so you can tell the manager youve recorded the call but can't play it … so you can tell the manager youve recorded the call but can't play it back, unless of course your in court. Probably best just asking them if they recorded the call, don't recall hearing any automated message of the call being recorded.

It's a really grey area. Law states that unless they have been notified of the recording then it's illegal to play it back to a third party.

However, do you remember who you spoke to? Ring up and ask to double check with him as it may have been a genuine mistake/misunderstanding and you wouldn't want to get the poor bloke in trouble. He's doing a crappy job listening to complaints galore for no doubt crap wages as it is.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants