Sainsbury's Self-Checkout Issue

Found 30th Jan 2013
I have noticed an issue with Sainsbury's self-checkouts which isn't necessarily a deal, but could save you paying more than you
re supposed to for promotional items, so if this isn't suitable for HUKD, then fine, but thought I'd try....

So when you use a self-checkout machine and you're buying items that are on a promotion (such as 2 for £2), when you scan them through the machine and you press 'Pay Now', then scan at full price and no discount is taken off. HOWEVER, if you press 'Go back' and then 'Pay Now' again, it takes off the discounts!

Not sure if Sainsbury's are aware of this. I spoke to the store manager the first time I noticed and they insisted this wasn't the case, despite discounts on my receipt having not been taken off, but have noticed since in different stores. Both stores were in South West London.

Just thought people need to be aware of this and maybe give some feedback if anyone else has experienced this, as if it is an issue, I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to be pressing 'Go Back' and then 'Pay Now' for a second time hence not getting their discount.
Community Updates
27 Comments
In my experience it does give you the discount both ways, but only shows you it if you do back then pay now.
notice this as well, however, I think the discount will be applied anyway (when you insert a card/money without go back).
1) this is not a deal,
2)the discount is taken off after a second or three-but always taken off in my experience.The amount to pay is then reduced to show the discounts.
Theyre just slow. Discounts come off at the end but you gotta give it a second before the total gets updated.
Hi, i do this also to make sure the discount has come off but I do note that most of the time it does anyway. EG if you have 2 items which are 1 pound each or 2 for 1.50 i note when you scan both they say 1 pound and 1 pound but when you say pay now the total is 1.50. If you then "go back" on the screen it shows the 50p discount.

it is about deals though
Ok fair enough, seems like people have confirmed that the discount is taken off when you pay despite it not immediately showing on the screen.

Just wanted to check with a large audience, feel free to remove if needed.
they are similar notices on the machine in stafford
It's a lag on the machines. Not really a deal.
When you scan your nectar card or insert a cc card it usually shows the reduced price anyway.
It takes the discounts off when you select the payment type... no idea how many times I've actually told & shown customers this!
Thanks for sharing op, I have moved from deals to misc
I don't think this is true, the price is still the same but it just shows the applied discounts on the screen if you go back. When I have done this they haven't shown until I have paid and then they are on the receipt. The price was still correct.
wishihadadonkey

Thanks for sharing op, I have moved from deals to misc

we get all the fun threads
I'd rather be sure of the total amount before putting my card in.

Also, these days check the amount it says is going on your card ~ I've heard stories about people being given cashback and then charged for it ~ even if they didn't want it.
TangoTemptress

Likewise.
Are people abusing substances in here?!
Im out.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/3723435_o.gif
TangoTemptress

I think it does tell you the total, the OP is talking about it listing the BOGOFs etc on the screen for you to see which were on promotion.
I have noticed in the past that the sainsbury self service checkouts don't take the discount off. It's happened at various sainsbury stores where i live. It's only when you press go back and then total again that the money seems to come off. I noticed this week at my local branch (Worthing) that they have tiny little information stickers above the till telling you to press go back and then total again. These stickers are tiny, about 5cm by 3cm. Even with the stickers there, they are easily missed. Sainsburys must be aware the machines are over charging customers so why aren't they programmed differently?
Hawks123

I have noticed in the past that the sainsbury self service checkouts … I have noticed in the past that the sainsbury self service checkouts don't take the discount off. It's happened at various sainsbury stores where i live. It's only when you press go back and then total again that the money seems to come off. I noticed this week at my local branch (Worthing) that they have tiny little information stickers above the till telling you to press go back and then total again. These stickers are tiny, about 5cm by 3cm. Even with the stickers there, they are easily missed. Sainsburys must be aware the machines are over charging customers so why aren't they programmed differently?

Interesting. So maybe it is an issue?!
Hawks123

I have noticed in the past that the sainsbury self service checkouts … I have noticed in the past that the sainsbury self service checkouts don't take the discount off. It's happened at various sainsbury stores where i live. It's only when you press go back and then total again that the money seems to come off. I noticed this week at my local branch (Worthing) that they have tiny little information stickers above the till telling you to press go back and then total again. These stickers are tiny, about 5cm by 3cm. Even with the stickers there, they are easily missed. Sainsburys must be aware the machines are over charging customers so why aren't they programmed differently?

Consider it karma for the job losses you cause by using self service.
The first time it I noticed the problem was in the Rustington branch, I knew the total wasn't right so i pressed go back to see what i had scanned, in case something scanned the wrong price, or maybe i had scanned something twice. There was nothing wrong with my scanning, just that one of the reduced items hadn't had the amount taken off. When i pressed total again, the amount to pay changed. From then on, i always did this whenever i used a self service checkout in sainsbury.
Hawks123

From then on, i always did this whenever i used a self service checkout … From then on, i always did this whenever i used a self service checkout in sainsbury.

Ditto.
dxx

Consider it karma for the job losses you cause by using self service.

Think of the job losses you cause driving round in a car made by robots, or using a cash machine to withdraw money, or shopping online.

Edited by: "spaceinvader" 30th Jan 2013
yes there's little stickers on my local Salisbury but i sometimes still forget
daturastorm

I think it does tell you the total, the OP is talking about it listing … I think it does tell you the total, the OP is talking about it listing the BOGOFs etc on the screen for you to see which were on promotion.

Yes, the total it shows at first press of pay now is an amount not indicating the deal discounts, etc. going back and then forward again shows a lesser amount. As I said rather be certain...
larrylightweight

yes there's little stickers on my local Salisbury but i sometimes still … yes there's little stickers on my local Salisbury but i sometimes still forget

Bloody vandals!
I'll bet they're promoting the next concert at the Cathedral, or sunrise times for the druids for Stonehenge?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions