Sainsbury's will raise basic hourly pay to £9.20 from September

Found 8th Mar
We had a briefing with the store manager the other day and the company has a few new proposals for all colleagues.

They want everyone to be on the same type of contract.

I'm not in London so I will just refer to what concerns me specifically. People living in London get a premium for living there too.

Basic pay will go up quite a bit above the minimum wage.

We on the night shift will get a night premium of £2.20 from midnight till 5am, including this time online shoppers, who were previously excluded even if they start at 4am.

On the night shift (10 hours) we get paid breaks (one 30 minutes and a 15 minutes one) but with these changes not anymore.
Community Updates
Misc
16 Comments
That's good, I saw sainsburys also employed a lady with dementia in a BBC story earlier this week.

The sad thing is, sainsburys is now pretty expensive and the quality of its meat as one example has not improved.

Most of the fruit and veg is flavourless out of season imports, unless you buy "taste the difference". Yet Waitrose and a greengrocer will sell you; eg. grapes for same or less as there normal ones that taste better.

Plums and other soft fruit that never really gets soft or juicy. The skin turns dull and they are remain hard, I presume sprayed with something to preserve there look for the shelves while in transit?

Lots of products are now "own branded", stores seem to miss obvious things like big boxes "hard water" tea in areas where there is hard water. No pearl barley. Instore bakery does make bread/rolls fresh in the morning so at 9:00 its whats left over yesterday.

I hope they sort themselves out for your jobs sake! But enjoy the pay raise!
Edited by: "groenleader" 8th Mar
Original Poster
They are intending to become more competitive they said.
They intend to bring down the prices for essential stuff people buy.
That's what we were told.
That's great news for anyone working there Minimum wage still where I work as cant see it changing
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 8th Mar
Original Poster
LeahsMintytoutou6 m ago

That's great news for anyone working there Minimum wage still where …That's great news for anyone working there Minimum wage still where I work as cant see it changing

That sucks for you
They are gonna give us more per hour but they are taking away our paid breaks on the night shift so I think it will work out we get paid about the same
hearts229 m ago

That sucks for you They are gonna give us more per hour but they are …That sucks for you They are gonna give us more per hour but they are taking away our paid breaks on the night shift so I think it will work out we get paid about the same

Yeah we don't get paid breaks either.. grrr. Looking for another company to work for. Would be much easier if I drove. Good that sainsburys show they appreciate their workers
This might force other retailers to increase their pay.
Bestard8 m ago

🤞 (Fingers crossed)
hearts2227 m ago

That sucks for you They are gonna give us more per hour but they are …That sucks for you They are gonna give us more per hour but they are taking away our paid breaks on the night shift so I think it will work out we get paid about the same

That sounds very annoying and pointless. Seems like it wouldn't benefit you, just PR for sainsburys.
Original Poster
MSK.48 m ago

That sounds very annoying and pointless. Seems like it wouldn't benefit …That sounds very annoying and pointless. Seems like it wouldn't benefit you, just PR for sainsburys.

They give with one hand and take away with the other
hearts228th Mar

They give with one hand and take away with the other

Minimum wage goes up to under £8 an hour is April doesn't it too? It is still better, but eh

Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm.
Bestard8th Mar

Yeah, although encourage might be more accurate rather than force.
(£9.20*36)/39 is the new hourly rate for a full time day colleague.

It's not as black and white as simply £9.20/h pay increase.

There are positives though - very swings and roundabouts this new proposal.
frakison3 h, 12 m ago

Thing is, they will then just increase prices across the board which will …Thing is, they will then just increase prices across the board which will not only negate the wage increases but also hit everyone else

Indeed.
Lots of people would want to maintain a certain/consistent gap between their own pay and the pay afforded to low-skilled retail workers.
Is this due to the ongoing Asda court of appeal affair where they will have to increase shops staff pay per hour to match warehouse pay?
OP do you still get the staff discount? Maybe they could give a couple of exta % on that too.
Original Poster
groenleader1 h, 43 m ago

OP do you still get the staff discount? Maybe they could give a couple of …OP do you still get the staff discount? Maybe they could give a couple of exta % on that too.

We get 10%, Argos included (works online too) and occasionally it goes up to 15%.
No news about that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants