Salmon Fillets - Cheapest Source per KG?

Found 7th Feb
I've been consuming a lot of salmon lately and I'm trying to work out the best deals per KG. Right now Tesco a Fishmongers Salmon going for £12.80/KG. It's more the tail cuts than the standard rectangular cuts but that still works. I'm not sure if that's a regular price and I haven't actually tried the particular item as yet, so not sure of it's availability. Sometimes I catch deals at the Waitrose fish counter or at Morrisons, but it'd be nice to have a regular supply I don't have to hunt around for. Standard pricing is often £24/KG. Do you know of any any cheaper sources? Can I got to a fish market somewhere in London perhaps and buy it even cheaper? I'm not too discerning on it being Scottish or Alaskan; all tastes good to me
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Look at a fillet of supermarket salmon and look at a fillet of wild salmon. The price difference is those white lines of FAT.

You might also want to look at the eyes of the whole fish. Bright and clear = fresh. Anything other than bright and clear = ooooooollllllllllllllld
Generally find Lidl and Aldi cheaper.
You shouldn't be eating more than 500g of oily fish per week unless you don't mind heavy metal poisoning
also frozen is cheaper and more likely fresher
Asda was doing whole salmon for £7kg last couple of weeks in my local store in st austell. Dont know if its nationwide or if its still at that price.
if you can, buy a whole salmon rather than a fillet as that will work out cheaper per kg.

if you are in london, you can go to the fish market that supply the fishmongers and get fish cheaper.
Waitrose have 20% off on the fish counter every Friday.
The fish market in London is billingsgate. You have to be an early bird though, it opens at 4am
Worth checking out Morrisons they often have salmon on deal. Adsa and Morrisons on the run up to Easter drop prices on fresh salmon so worth stocking up the freezer then.
Church Street Market in Church Street near Edgware Road has a fish stall that sells Salmon at £11/kg. Almost always at this price. Hope this helps
You may not want frozen but I buy these ones from Iceland & think they are great
33234960-kSkEG.jpg
Costco might be worth a look, if you're near one and a member. If not, then disregard everything I've said
Omega 3 chicken at Waitrose if you want the essential oils.
Original Poster
hawa0127th Feb

Church Street Market in Church Street near Edgware Road has a fish stall …Church Street Market in Church Street near Edgware Road has a fish stall that sells Salmon at £11/kg. Almost always at this price. Hope this helps

Fab! I'm not too far from Church Street Market. That's a great excuse to go there. My buddy recently introduced me to a place there that cooks up fresh bread (similar to a nan) with a huge bowl of soup for a £3 lunch. I forget the name of it that.
Original Poster
Thanks all for the great comments and ideas. Yeah I hope I'm not over dosing! I go through binges though and really enjoyed the salmon lately. But I've been switching it up too and trying other fish and foods besides.

I've lost about 40KG after being obese for 20years and I kept it off for around 5 years now. I did it through mainly eating 7-14 salads a week. I just thrw whatever I've got going on a salad. Be it chicken, prok sausage, salmon, stuffed grape leaves, olives, or just roasted vegetables. I hit it with a few sprays of olive oil, salt and pepper, some toasted pine nuts or macadamias and I'm filled up and happy. I like to go with a grated mature cheddar sometimes too. Whatever....

I have no problem with carbs, just don't need a lot of useless extra carbs. I also have no problem with salt, but do find often that salt covers up more useless foods like crisps. Without salt you probably wouldn't tucker in so much!

As it happens I also enjoy whole full fat and avoid excess amounts of sugar. Most processed foods that advertise 'no fat' or 'low fat' generally have low taste so they sugar them up to give them taste. It took me 10 years to wean myself from sugar in the coffee but I did it! I still happily go with the double cream though.
Edited by moderator: "edit" 5th Mar
kellyllek1 h, 47 m ago

Thanks all for the great comments and ideas. Yeah I hope I'm not over …Thanks all for the great comments and ideas. Yeah I hope I'm not over dosing! I go through binges though and really enjoyed the salmon lately. But I've been switching it up too and trying other fish and foods besides. I've lost about 40KG after being obese for 20years and I kept it off for around 5 years now. I did it through mainly eating 7-14 salads a week. I just thrw whatever I've got going on a salad. Be it chicken, prok sausage, salmon, stuffed grape leaves, olives, or just roasted vegetables. I hit it with a few sprays of olive oil, salt and pepper, some toasted pine nuts or macadamias and I'm filled up and happy. I like to go with a grated mature cheddar sometimes too. Whatever.... I have no problem with carbs, just don't need a lot of useless extra carbs. I also have no problem with salt, but do find often that salt covers up more useless foods like crisps. Without salt you probably wouldn't tucker in so much! As it happens I also enjoy whole full fat and avoid excess amounts of sugar. Most processed foods that advertise 'no fat' or 'low fat' generally have low taste so they sugar them up to give them taste. It took me 10 years to wean myself from sugar in the coffee but I did it! I still happily go with the double cream though.

i am not a big fish eater but i like the occasional salmon. i tried sea bream when i was at a restaurant and really liked it so you could have a try of grilled sea bream if you haven't already done so.

fish is low in calorie and a very healthy source of protein so fill your boots and pig out on fish
Cakeboy7910th Feb

Costco might be worth a look, if you're near one and a member. If not, …Costco might be worth a look, if you're near one and a member. If not, then disregard everything I've said

Costco is always worth a look, although i have never managed just a look. Always end up with a car full of goodies.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants