Samsung 49" TV UE49MU6400

Found 5th Jan
Can anyone tell me if there is a better 46" to 49" TV for a maximum price of £500?
The UE49MU6400 is currently around £450 at a number of stores.

I'm aware of the potential light bleed issue experienced by some people.
That said, is this the best 49" 4k TV for under £500 at present?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
8 Comments
The LG SJ800 SJ810 has been close to that price, but at the moment the Samsung OS the one to go for. MU7000 isn't much better because at that size it's not a proper 10 bit one, you've got to get the 55" for that.
MIDURIX5 m ago

The LG SJ800 SJ810 has been close to that price, but at the moment the …The LG SJ800 SJ810 has been close to that price, but at the moment the Samsung OS the one to go for. MU7000 isn't much better because at that size it's not a proper 10 bit one, you've got to get the 55" for that.

I saw the sj810 was just over £500 a week ago or something.
Is that tv definitely better than this Samsung, and if so why?
Thanks
Uranus5th Jan

I saw the sj810 was just over £500 a week ago or something.Is that tv …I saw the sj810 was just over £500 a week ago or something.Is that tv definitely better than this Samsung, and if so why?Thanks

It's closer to the mu7000 going by some reviews, but if the 6400 is £450 and the sj810v is £100 more it definitely isn't worth it.
What are you watching? If it's normal TV, DVDs, catch-up etc. I'd go for a Full HD TV instead of a 4K one as it'll handle low quality content better. A Samsung M5500. Sony WE6/WE7 or LG LJ6.
EndlessWaves23 m ago

What are you watching? If it's normal TV, DVDs, catch-up etc. I'd go for a …What are you watching? If it's normal TV, DVDs, catch-up etc. I'd go for a Full HD TV instead of a 4K one as it'll handle low quality content better. A Samsung M5500. Sony WE6/WE7 or LG LJ6.

Mostly 720p and 1080p at present.
About to subscribe to Netflix for some 4k shows, and also there is no way I'm buying a full HD TV, given I do not change TVs for at least 7 or 8 years at a time so would not want to be stuck with the previous technology for that period of time.
Uranus5th Jan

Mostly 720p and 1080p at present.About to subscribe to Netflix for some 4k …Mostly 720p and 1080p at present.About to subscribe to Netflix for some 4k shows, and also there is no way I'm buying a full HD TV, given I do not change TVs for at least 7 or 8 years at a time so would not want to be stuck with the previous technology for that period of time.

It's not the previous technology, it's the current technology. What's more, it's only picture quality, not a broadcasting standard or anything.

If you'd bought an SD TV in 2005 I can't think of a single show over the last ten years that you wouldn't have been able to enjoy to it's fullest. And Full HD to 4K is a much smaller change than SD to Full HD.

There might be reasons to go for a 4K TV - manufacturers might support smart platforms slightly longer - but new technology is unlikely to be one of them.
EndlessWaves30 m ago

It's not the previous technology, it's the current technology. What's …It's not the previous technology, it's the current technology. What's more, it's only picture quality, not a broadcasting standard or anything.If you'd bought an SD TV in 2005 I can't think of a single show over the last ten years that you wouldn't have been able to enjoy to it's fullest. And Full HD to 4K is a much smaller change than SD to Full HD.There might be reasons to go for a 4K TV - manufacturers might support smart platforms slightly longer - but new technology is unlikely to be one of them.

With all due respect, it would have to be a really strange reason to NOT buy a 4k TV (to be the mai nTV in the house).
I cannot imagine anyone under normal circumstances buying a large 1080p TV over a 4k TV, if they aren't intending to change the TV again for another 7 or 8 years.
Also WTF, every comment of mine this evening has been under moderator review.

EDIT: ironically this comment didnt get moderated.
Edited by: "Uranus" 5th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants