Samsung Evo or M.2 for Windows / Gaming

Posted 5th Apr
Good morning you beautiful people who are currently sat at home, or still hard at work looking after our every need in this hour of darkness.

So, I'm building a new PC in the coming days and wanted a little advice.

Ive got in my current system, a Samsung Evo 860 pro SSD which I plan on using in my new build.
I've order a new Sabrent rocket 1TB M.2 drive to go in my new one as well, and the system will primarily be used for gaming.

Question is, could I just use the Samsung Evo SSD for windows (and the odd files) and the M.2 for games without it having any performance issues or drops in games, or would I be better suited with windows on the M.2?
Never had an M.2 drive but research suggests to use as primary.
Would it really make a difference just for gaming though?

New build would be as follows.
Lian-Li Razer edition case
Asius - Rog Strix X570 Mobo
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Proc
MSI 2070 super GFX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8) 3600mhz DDR4
Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 1GB
DEEP COOL Castle 360mm AIO
6 x Corsair 120mm RGB fans
750w Gold PSU modular.

Kind Regards,
------------------
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
It's best to install Windows on the M.2 - the difference between SATA and M.2 isn't huge, but it's best to make sure Windows runs as fast as possible.
Pedantic alert! "M2" is the interface, the drive can be NVMe or SATA. That's the bit that matters, not the physical interface (M2/SATA).

Your Sabrent should outperform the Samsung but to be honest beyond benchmarks 'real world' there's not that huge a difference, I doubt you'd be able to tell!
Edited by: "adam.mt" 5th Apr
I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD and the speeds are to die for.
3.5Gbps read , 2.5Gbps write, if I remember corectly.
I got a Samsung evo 950 m.2 nvme when they first came out, all my mates were buying evo 850, on paper and when we bench marked the systems the 950 was about 5 times faster read. But in real world for booting system and gaming you won’t notice a huge difference..
zworld05/04/2020 13:39

I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD and the speeds are to die …I have a Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME SSD and the speeds are to die for.3.5Gbps read , 2.5Gbps write, if I remember corectly.

But real life it you can’t notice.
When copying files or loading games with large levels, it is noticeable.
adam.mt05/04/2020 12:30

Pedantic alert! "M2" is the interface, the drive can be NVMe or SATA. …Pedantic alert! "M2" is the interface, the drive can be NVMe or SATA. That's the bit that matters, not the physical interface (M2/SATA).Your Sabrent should outperform the Samsung but to be honest beyond benchmarks 'real world' there's not that huge a difference, I doubt you'd be able to tell!

Well, I'd call M.2 the form factor, SATA or PCI-E the interface and AHCI or NVMe the protocol.

There are virtually no games that make heavy demands of storage while running, so I wouldn't expect any choice of storage to cause performance drops.
Apologies, the drive is this
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
NVMe

But thanks for the responses
EndlessWaves05/04/2020 14:56

Well, I'd call M.2 the form factor, SATA or PCI-E the interface and AHCI …Well, I'd call M.2 the form factor, SATA or PCI-E the interface and AHCI or NVMe the protocol. There are virtually no games that make heavy demands of storage while running, so I wouldn't expect any choice of storage to cause performance drops.

True, I've been one upped on the pedantic front
To futureproof for the next gen, I'd say NVMe is a must. A lot of games are going to be coded for fast drive access on the PS5 and XBS, slow drives could result in stuttering.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions