Samsung Galaxy A8 - best reasonably priced S9 alternative? Agree with Which? on that?

Found 2nd Aug
According to Which?:

"The price and score speak for themselves: you simply won't find a better phone at this price. While it's, understandably, inferior to the Galaxy S9, it still comfortably beats just about every other mid-range handset on the market right now. If you're anything less than a total tech-freak then this is one you need to consider."

Sensible advice from Which? on how to get a decent S9 alternative for half the price, or just a load of cods?

Any thoughts? I'd like to save the money, but having got used to Samsung flagship phones I'm a bit concerned at what this might really be like by comparison.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Have you thought about a Moto G6 or G6 Play ? Seem to take some beating in the £150 - £200 price bracket - but I'm a bit of a Technophobe so I'll await with interest comments from those who understand phones .
Get a s8, S9 is hardly a big leap
adamderak26 m ago

Get a s8, S9 is hardly a big leap

Sound advice - but still a huge leap in price over the A8 for me.
It's a difficult question to answer. Plenty of people do find it a good choice, other find the extra worth the money. That's why the offer a range of phones to begin with.

What are you worried about specifically about downgrading from a flagship to a high end phone?
EndlessWaves29 m ago

It's a difficult question to answer. Plenty of people do find it a good …It's a difficult question to answer. Plenty of people do find it a good choice, other find the extra worth the money. That's why the offer a range of phones to begin with.What are you worried about specifically about downgrading from a flagship to a high end phone?

A couple of things, essentially:

1 The speed of a flagship phone (browsing, email, apps etc and switching between them).

2 Its ability to cope with large numbers of apps etc

3 How long the thing will last before it becomes too laggy to enjoy using.

My ageing Note 4 is reaching that laggy point, but it's 3 years old, only cost £440 new, and that's a world away from the cost of a Note 8 or an S9. I had a 'bargain' Huawei a few years back - seemed great when it was new, but within a year it was next to useless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants