Samsung Galaxy Mobile: How to manage voice call minutes

Posted 24th Dec 2019
Does anyone know if there is a setting which allows you to set your mobile phone contract billing cycle dates and hence allow you to manage your inclusive call minutes?

I know there is a setting which allows you to do exactly this for data usage but I can't seem to find one for voice call time.

My voice call usage is about to increase dramatically and I'd like to try and manage this in advance not once it's too late and I've been billed.

This used to be a standard setting on mobiles back in the day but Googling doesn't seem to come up with any solutions.

If possible, trying to avoid using a third party app but if I have to, will.

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Your own providor app should do this, O2 does.
Ask your provider to put a cap on the calls/charge and they will be able to notify you once you reach/nearing the limit. ID Mobile also does that.
i think all mobile providers must now allow customers to put a cap on going over their monthly costs.

you can also see how many minutes you have left on your account if you log in regularly.
Thanks for the replies and by extension, that I am not missing anything and that such a setting doesn't exist - bizarre as the equivalent data one does.

Also, thanks for highlighting the O2 app which does exactly what I need - although not part of the phone OS, it's just a couple of presses to obtain the req'd info without any bells and whistles a third party app would invariably add.

Thanks again for the replies and Merry Crimbo.
HappyShopper25/12/2019 16:00

Thanks for the replies and by extension, that I am not missing anything …Thanks for the replies and by extension, that I am not missing anything and that such a setting doesn't exist - bizarre as the equivalent data one does.Also, thanks for highlighting the O2 app which does exactly what I need - although not part of the phone OS, it's just a couple of presses to obtain the req'd info without any bells and whistles a third party app would invariably add. Thanks again for the replies and Merry Crimbo.

i think the reason the minutes one does not exist is because the phone can keep a cumulative sum of all the minutes used on calls but that would include calls to free numbers like 0800 and premium numbers like 0845 so the cumulative sum is not always your inclusive minutes, which is what you are interested in.

for data, all data usage are the same so it can be measured more meaningfully.
mutley125/12/2019 18:59

i think the reason the minutes one does not exist is because the phone can …i think the reason the minutes one does not exist is because the phone can keep a cumulative sum of all the minutes used on calls but that would include calls to free numbers like 0800 and premium numbers like 0845 so the cumulative sum is not always your inclusive minutes, which is what you are interested in.for data, all data usage are the same so it can be measured more meaningfully.

You know what, this occurred to me too but then I thought they could incorporate a feature where you could mark numbers to exclude from the total - but then you are now adding features which means more development time/cost so cheaper not to include such functionality.
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 25th Dec 2019
HappyShopper25/12/2019 19:33

You know what, this occurred to me too but then I thought they could …You know what, this occurred to me too but then I thought they could incorporate a feature where you could mark numbers to exclude from the total - but then you are now adding features which means more development time/cost so cheaper not to include such functionality.

apps often are developed not just for use in the UK but worldwide so the free and premium numbers will be different for each country. then contracts can also include 0845 numbers as inclusive minutes or international numbers as inclusive minutes if you have add ons. the variables can be different with different contracts so a minute cap app doesn't work.

i had an old phone with had a cumulative call minute counter but it did not interact with your inclusive minutes, just a clock counter of minutes.
Whilst discussing this, had a thought...the O2 app should exclude numbers (0800, 03xx etc) which are free and, therefore, do not come out of your inclusive minutes. Right?
HappyShopper25/12/2019 20:00

Whilst discussing this, had a thought...the O2 app should exclude numbers …Whilst discussing this, had a thought...the O2 app should exclude numbers (0800, 03xx etc) which are free and, therefore, do not come out of your inclusive minutes. Right?

i don't have the O2 app so i don't know. i don't have this facility on my EE app. you could call O2 and ask. i suspect it won't be that clever and will just be a cumulative counter like that old phone i had.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants