Groups

Samsung Galaxy S6 - massive performance boost with simple settings adjustment

I was tinkering with the settings of my Galaxy S6, which has been getting a little sluggish in its old age, and the below adjustment has MASSIVELY improved its general responsiveness. It is absurdly quick now (apps open and switch much quicker) for no good reason that I can discern.

Anyway, perhaps others with this phone would like to try this alteration and see what happens. Would be interested to hear if others have a similar result.

FYI I'm running Android 6.0.1 on Vodafone with all the latest OTA updates installed. Not rooted, no mods or anything custom on it.

1. Go to settings, about device, software info and tap the 'build number' bar 10 times. This will unlock developer settings.

2. Go back to main settings, scroll to the bottom and open 'developer options' and move the slider at the top to 'on'.

3. About 2/3 of the way down you'll see 'window animation scale', 'transition animation scale' and 'animator duration scale' - these should all be set to 1x by default.

4. Change each of these to 0.5x and press home.

You should thereafter notice that animations behave a bit differently, and for me at least, the phone performs noticeably better.

Anyone else?

58 Comments

great that helped

Thanks OP

Yeah quite a well known thing is turning off animations etc. Worked well on the s4.

First thing I do with android is enable developer settings and switch animation off.

Thanks.
    Good bit of info there

Change it to zero for even better speed

Original Poster

Qrunch

Change it to zero for even better speed

But then you get zero animation

cannibalwombat

But then you get zero animation

I'd probably manage just fine without it tbh

turned them off since my S2, great shout for those that didn't know though

Will this work to improve performance on my galaxy note 4 that has just had the marshmallow update installed?
    Thanks in advance

Yeah this worked great on my old s5

maani12

Will this work to improve performance on my galaxy note 4 that has just … Will this work to improve performance on my galaxy note 4 that has just had the marshmallow update installed? Thanks in advance

​I put it down to 0 and the screen started flickering red haha. Semmed better on 0.5 though

Apogee00

turned them off since my S2, great shout for those that didn't know … turned them off since my S2, great shout for those that didn't know though

​Thanks for your feedback master 10

SuperEd

Same as S7
    Edited by: "goonertillidie" 13th Jun 2016

this will work on any android

Maani12, my note 4 has been TERRIBLE since the marshmallow update. Battery has gone from lasting all day with use to 5 hours max! Hope this helps!

Should work on any samsung/android - confirmed for the Galaxy S3

Just tried this with my s6 it says 'No need,developer mode has already been enabled'

Original Poster

nat1988

Just tried this with my s6 it says 'No need,developer mode has already … Just tried this with my s6 it says 'No need,developer mode has already been enabled'

Great. Just go straight to step 2 in my guide.

Just done this for my S5. Can't say I'm noticing any difference though..... Yet.

This has worked on both my tablet and phone. Thank you for sharing.

nat1988

Just tried this with my s6 it says 'No need,developer mode has already … Just tried this with my s6 it says 'No need,developer mode has already been enabled'

Just go to the the next step in OP's instructions

see a difference much faster thanks for that

Its not a performance improvement, it just makes the animations faster..........yes getting in and out of programs is a little more nippy, but it doesn't make your phone install things quicker and such like.

Wow what a dirrerence X)

Not just Samsung FYI. Can do this on most android devices. On the Vodafone ultra 6 just click the build number instead of software version and the rest is the same...

I was tinkering with the settings of my Galaxy S6, which has been getting a little sluggish in its old age

You lost me there

Got a note 3. And deffo seems quicker. Cheers. Wonder if you just turned them off it'll be even quicker

unbelievably easy, even for a technophobe like me. Improved performance of my tablet, thank you

Thanks

Thankyou! I feel quite clever now hahaha:D

Excellent worked a treat thanks

Works on the Note7 as well however cannot see an option an disable exploding battery - will keep looking

Crazy the difference this made. TY.

This isn't really a "performance" boost... it's an animation setting to make the phone appear to run faster.
    Samsung add a buffer to compensate for any actual performance issues that could occur under high useage.

The same animation settings can be modified on a JailBroken apple device.

I remember this trick on the old and slow Windows XP devices, works on others too but XP was the majority back in the day...

How do I do it for Samsung s4 mini

Oh fast phone now!!! Many Thanks worked for me :-)

Great..noticed difference straight away on my Samsung S5, certainly made it faster loading up etc Thanking you!

Has anyone tried this on a s7 ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions