Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Owners Thread (please read post #1 & #2)

Found 21st Dec 2013
A thread for guides, news, and general chat about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. Keep it friendly and nice
Community Updates
109 Comments
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0

http://i.imgur.com/WtY5dc5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TLJ4wLj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cuKaisr.jpg

The Tab 3 8.0 uses Super Clear LCD with full RGB matrix and better whites than AMOLED. It's considered retina when viewed from 18 inches from your face:

http://i.imgur.com/7iueO0V.jpg

Better cores are more useful than more cores in real usage as the top 10 apps + top 10 games in the Play Store barely uses cores over 2. Most cheap tablets use quad cores but they are usually Mediatek or Rockchip rather than Exynos or Snapdragon. The Tab 3 8.0 uses Mali 400MP which is the same as the ones in the Note 2 and the Note 8.

[img]i.imgur.com/aPm…jpg?1[/img]
Edited by: "gx3k" 27th Dec 2013
How to root: (source)
Try at your own risk! If you don't know what rooting is for, don't even bother doing this.
I tried this with the 4G LTE version but will work with the wifi only version.

1. Connect the tablet to your PC and make sure it is recognised. If not, download and install Samsung Kies and see if the tablet is recognised after restarting the PC.
2. Make sure the tablet is over 50% charged and turn it off.
3. Download Odin and TWRP tar file.
4. Put the tablet in download mode by holding the "HOME" button, "Volume Down" and "Power" all at the same time for about 3-5 seconds till you see the Warning!! screen
5. Press volume up to toggle download mode
6. Run the Odin application and connect your tablet via USB to the PC. The Odin should recognise it by showing a blue light. It will download some files so wait a bit.
7. Press PDA to navigate to the TWRP tar file you downloaded then press start. The tablet will reboot after the process.
8. Turn off the tablet after rebooting then go to recovery mode by pressing volume up + power button at the same time. When the Samsung logo appears on the screen, release the power button and keep pressing volume up.
9. Once you get in the TWRP screen, select Reboot > System. You should be prompted to install root.
10. After installing root, reboot the tablet.

How to unroot and go back to original factory settings:
1. Go to SuperSU app > settings > Full unroot to remove root.
2. Follow steps 1 to 7 above but instead of using the TWRP tar, use the factory image for your device: T310 (wifi only), T315 (4g version)
3. After rebooting, you may go to Settings > Backup and reset > Factory data reset to start fresh.

Tips to make your device run smoother and save battery life:
1. Enable developer options by going to Settings > About device > tap Build Number 7 times
2. Go to developer options and change Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale to 0.5x or off
3. Disable features you don't use like Daydream, Smart stay, GPS, Bluetooth, S voice, etc.
4. Disable apps you don't use by going to Settings > Application manager > All > tap on the app you don't want > tap Disable or Uninstall
5 Avoid using live wallpapers as they use up battery life, RAM, and processing power
6. If you're rooted, use apps like Greenify to hibernate background apps and Seeder to read/write to SD faster.
7. Replace Touchwiz launcher to Nova or others in the Play store.

Recommended apps
Floating Toucher - enables on customisable screen keys and shortcuts if you don't like using the physical buttons
Clean Master - free up space and delete junk files
Mx Player - supports more video file types (use Archos player for videos with DTS sound)
ES File Explorer - better file manager that can open ZIP and RAR files
Applock - lock individual apss for security and privacy when other people use your device
Airstream - open files on your PC on your tablet
Airdroid - wirelessly transfer files, send/receive SMS on your PC, and more

Other Tips
1. Make the screen look better by going to Settings > Screen mode > change to dynamic > tap OK then tick Increase legibility

Sample photos taken with the Tab 3 8.0:

http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-80/pano/gsmarena_011.jpg
http://cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-80/camera/gsmarena_005.jpg

Edited by: "gx3k" 11th Aug 2014
are you able to move apps to sd card with this tab
singer

are you able to move apps to sd card with this tab

Yes but not all apps support moving the app data to SD card. You may use an app called Foldermount to move everything but it needs root.

http://i.imgur.com/C4b3XzM.png
Edited by: "gx3k" 21st Dec 2013
aah i see k
Muffin Knight , not going to even ask!! oO
dirkadirka

Muffin Knight , not going to even ask!! oO

Don't judge me, you're not a judge
gx3k

Don't judge me, you're not a judge

haha
Can I use Whatsapp on this tablet?
Dinging

Can I use Whatsapp on this tablet?

I have the 4G version and whatsapp works just fine.
For the Wifi version, follow this guide to make it work.
Really, I originally look for a 4G note 8 or this. But can't resist the price and have just ordered one. I still wonder whether I should pay 50 more for the s pen.
gx3k

I have the 4G version and whatsapp works just fine. For the Wifi version, … I have the 4G version and whatsapp works just fine. For the Wifi version, follow this guide to make it work.

Thanks,will spend some time on it, hope it works
can't load Whatsapp onto my Galaxy 2 tablet I need a Galaxy 3!
Edited by: "joesmum" 25th Dec 2013
what bloatware is ok to remove ?

I am using the Advanced Task Killer and noticed that after I kill all apps, there are loads that reappear a minute later, like google music, samsung link, learning hub. Not sure if it is ATK's bug or something reloads them in real time.
Can anyone recommend a good case for this?
tanikk£

what bloatware is ok to remove ?I am using the Advanced Task Killer and … what bloatware is ok to remove ?I am using the Advanced Task Killer and noticed that after I kill all apps, there are loads that reappear a minute later, like google music, samsung link, learning hub. Not sure if it is ATK's bug or something reloads them in real time.

You can disable the apps you don't need by going to Settings > Application manager > All > tap on the app you don't want > tap Disable or Uninstall. I disabled all the 'hubs' (learning hub, reading hub, music hub, etc), dropbox, Gmail, google music, etc.

I use Greenify app to disable background apps but it needs root.

duncan

Can anyone recommend a good case for this?

I use this case (£2.99 with free screen protector from eBay)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SAMSUNG-TAB-3-8-0-8-INCH-T3100-T3110-TPU-GEL-CASE-WITH-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-CLOTH-/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/t3MAAOxy~ilSRBaQ/$T2eC16VHJIYFHOEe-bGnBSRB,P)Nqw~~60_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SAMSUNG-TAB-3-8-0-8-INCH-T3100-T3110-TPU-GEL-CASE-WITH-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-CLOTH-/00/s/NzU5WDk1OQ==/z/jZ0AAOxyHltSRBaA/$(KGrHqRHJCYFI0RYKTgqBSRBZ+8!H!~~60_12.JPG

I prefer them over folder type cases which can be a bit bulky.
I just posted this on the Tesco price thread, posting again here to hope to get a response from an existing owner:

Does this model support multi-user profiles? I believe this is possible in Android 4.2, but not always implemented. I want to create a cut down profile so that I can lend the device to other people to use without giving them access to all my accounts. Would be really helpful to hear from an existing owner whether this is possible.

Many thanks!
^ would like to know that too
the latest news is "Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 getting multi-user support with Android 4.2 update" from September
rms1uk

I just posted this on the Tesco price thread, posting again here to hope … I just posted this on the Tesco price thread, posting again here to hope to get a response from an existing owner:Does this model support multi-user profiles? I believe this is possible in Android 4.2, but not always implemented. I want to create a cut down profile so that I can lend the device to other people to use without giving them access to all my accounts. Would be really helpful to hear from an existing owner whether this is possible.Many thanks!

I have the latest update (Android 4.2.2) from my Tab 3 8.0 and it does not support multi-user profiles. You can use Applock to lock apps when you lend it to other people.
Its low spec bring a little bit of concern. After the Samsung apps have been disabled, is it very laggy or still acceptable to be used as daily phone + tablet?
sunnydurian

Its low spec bring a little bit of concern. After the Samsung apps have … Its low spec bring a little bit of concern. After the Samsung apps have been disabled, is it very laggy or still acceptable to be used as daily phone + tablet?

Lag has never been a problem for me as I always optimise any Android device I have (see tips on post #2). Out of the box the tablet is already great and I haven't found an app that lags. I currently have a 2012 Nexus 7, Galaxy Mega 6.3, and a Tab 2 7.0 for comparison. Specs on paper doesn't always tell the whole story, go to a shop to try one in person or ask people who actually owns it at least for a week.
Does this tab have the IR built in, as on Amazon it states it has but I hear it depends on model number. I have ordered from Tesco, can anyone confirm this model?
Thanks for this, very helpful - particularly the hint about applock. Finally I can protect my yahoo mail ! Highly recommend Swype keyboard too.

I reviewed this Tab on amazon after I swapped the Nexus 7 (2013) for it, the screen on that is just too small. Managed to blag £30 refund after the price just came down too

My review here (same username and avatar) if anyone is interested

brian1986

Does this tab have the IR built in, as on Amazon it states it has but I … Does this tab have the IR built in, as on Amazon it states it has but I hear it depends on model number. I have ordered from Tesco, can anyone confirm this model?

Yes it does have IR built in, I manged to change channels on my Sony TV with it the other day. You get a lot more functionality with Samsung's tho
tallpete33

Thanks for this, very helpful - particularly the hint about applock. … Thanks for this, very helpful - particularly the hint about applock. Finally I can protect my yahoo mail ! Highly recommend Swype keyboard too. I reviewed this Tab on amazon after I swapped the Nexus 7 (2013) for it, the screen on that is just too small. Managed to blag £30 refund after the price just came down too :pMy review here (same username and avatar) if anyone is interested

Nice review, it should be put here for all to see:

"81 of 85 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Why I swapped my Google Nexus 7 for this . . . . 5 Dec 2013
By tallpete33 TOP 500 REVIEWER VINE VOICE
Style Name:Wi-Fi|Amazon Verified Purchase

After a fair bit of research I bought the Nexus 7 (2013) as my first tablet very recently. I chose it on the basis of the hardware specs, good screen and generally favourable reviews. I though about an iPad (for all of 3 seconds) but didn't consider them good value and was not keen to get locked into the apple ecosystem, ditto the new Kindle Fire hdx which is a lot of machine for the money but doesn't give you access to the Play Store (without a bit of jiggery rootery pokery anyway) so you are limited there. For the record I'm not a Samsung or Android fanboy - the last thing I bought with Galaxy on it was made of chocolate and my phone is a Nokia running Windows which I love. Anyway, I bought the Nex and whilst fairly happy with it, I did have issues and when a gadget mad friend of mine bought this Galaxy into work, I was promptly won over and so the seven incher went quietly but quickly back courtesy of Amazon's exemplary customer service.

Here's why :

1] Size matters ! The extra inch and slightly wider format of the GT add up to a considerable enlargement in screen real estate. Watching iPlayer for example on the Nexus was akin to looking through a letter box for my forty-something eyes. Like the much vaunted Nexus screen the GT display is warm, detailed and vibrant and I am very impressed with it. The wider form complete with narrower white surround make the Samsung a much more handsome beast than the rather anonymous Nexus too.

2] Buttons ! The other main issue I had with the Nexus was the handling. With no "hard" buttons, the home (and other) touch screen buttons disappear when watching movies etc and move with screen rotation. This meant an extra touch to bring them back and their presence on screen ate further into the narrow display. With the GT's three physical (two of them soft) buttons always there things are much simpler and quicker. With a flat edge compared to the Nexus curved, the power and volume buttons are also much easier to locate and use - particularly when in a case.

3] More room ! A micro SD slot adds extra storage cheaply and easily. At the time of writing a 16Gb card comes free with this

4] Guff ! A lot has been said about the customisation of Android by Samsung however I have found the manufacturers overlay and apps both welcome and useful. For example, the Samsung browser I find to be quicker than Google Chrome and the array of settings to play with are much broader and easier to adjust. The Android (mine came with Jelly Bean 4.2.2, not 4.1 as specified) not only looks prettier but is way more beginner friendly in many ways and the help function is very "helpful" too. With the Nexus you are given the nuts and bolts Android - no more and no less, although this may suit the geeks. More importantly you still have full access to the Google Play store with this also.

5] Dosh! When I purchased this, it was the same price as a Nexus 7 but for a bigger screen and 32Gb storage (expandable)

6] And... it comes with a smart white charger (with detachable mini-USB lead) but no manual as seems to be de rigeur these days.

7] To be fair...and prove I am unbiased, it is only fair to mention the fact that the Nexus has a quad core (opposed to dual core) CPU, 0.5Gb more RAM and a newer version of Android (and updates to that will be quicker direct from Google). On paper the hardware is more powerful however in my world I have noticed no performance difference - right now I am listening to streamed music on Spotify (now free) whilst reading the excellent pre-installed Flipboard magazine without an issue.

There is a massive amount more to this bit of kit and I'm really enjoying discovering new things on it most days - it's the best tech item I've bought this year by far."
Edited by: "gx3k" 29th Dec 2013
tallpete33

Yes it does have IR built in, I manged to change channels on my Sony TV … Yes it does have IR built in, I manged to change channels on my Sony TV with it the other day. You get a lot more functionality with Samsung's tho

Cool thanks, I have a Samsung TV but its probably a novelty thing you only use once
The extended cover has expired, it was only for purchases before Oct 31st

samsung.com/uk/…ee/

Mucka

The extended cover has expired, it was only for purchases before Oct … The extended cover has expired, it was only for purchases before Oct 31sthttp://www.samsung.com/uk/12free/

Aww, didn't know about that. Anyway, all Samsung devices have a 2 year warranty as standard and they are quite good.
What memory card would be compatible with this device?
ArjunSinghAoulik

What memory card would be compatible with this device?

Any micro sd card will work but a class 6 or higher will be better.
Photos taken with my Tab 3 8.0:

http://i.imgur.com/Hgnx6Xj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vrvINjI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1qssBCm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0Y0Z8qv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sqBCdBt.jpg
It would be useful for all the new buyers of this tablet if contributors would post links to their cases, screen protectors, hints and tips.
teerex

It would be useful for all the new buyers of this tablet if contributors … It would be useful for all the new buyers of this tablet if contributors would post links to their cases, screen protectors, hints and tips.

Hints and tips are on post #1 and #2. Cases and screen protector links are provided in the comments.
teerex

It would be useful for all the new buyers of this tablet if contributors … It would be useful for all the new buyers of this tablet if contributors would post links to their cases, screen protectors, hints and tips.

After a lot of looking around, I just bought an Anker cover, £12.99 off Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EJ3PZ1I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a flip cover, perfect fit, looks very smart and the magnetic catch works both to keep the cover closed and open. It is also very easy to remove the cover, which I need to do from time to time.
I thought about that Anker one back when I got my Tab but settled for one of those cheap 360° rotating ones for about a fiver. The only problem with that (apart from being a bit bulky) was there were no cut outs for the IR blaster or memory card.

In the end I bought one of the official Samsung cases. Nowhere near the £40+ most places are asking but I got it for a little over half that on Amazon Marketplace. If you want an official case, that's probably your best bet.
rms1uk

After a lot of looking around, I just bought an Anker cover, £12.99 off … After a lot of looking around, I just bought an Anker cover, £12.99 off Amazon:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EJ3PZ1I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It is a flip cover, perfect fit, looks very smart and the magnetic catch works both to keep the cover closed and open. It is also very easy to remove the cover, which I need to do from time to time.

Just out of interest what do people think about this anker one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-Frameless-Synthetic-Leather-Samsung/dp/B00EDICV02/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

I ask as this is a further £3 less with the same RRP as the other Anker one listed.
Edited by: "Cheapasnowt" 20th Feb 2014
Kitkat released in america!

Not sure how long for a UK release... won't be long I assume!

Source:
theinquirer.net/inq…ets
Any deals on the genuine samsung case ?
Got galaxy 8.0 yesterday decent piece 4 the price, surprise it came with samsung 16 gb micro sd aswell!

Any ideas on reasonable case I couldn't fine one under £6 in amazon....
Cheapasnowt

Just out of interest what do people think about this anker … Just out of interest what do people think about this anker one?http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker%C2%AE-Frameless-Synthetic-Leather-Samsung/dp/B00EDICV02/ref=pd_cp_computers_0I ask as this is a further £3 less with the same RRP as the other Anker one listed.

I ordered that one myself, I did look at both and based on previous cases the £10 Anker won out. I find the two grooves on a similar case excellent for keeping the device secure in your chosen viewing position, one I had with no grooves was forever slipping and on that basis, rightly or wrongly, a decision was made
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants