Groups

Samsung i8910 HD vs Nokia N96

Right, I really can't choose between these two phones. I am looking to get either the Samsung on a 24 month Orange contract or the Nokia on an 18 month Vodafone contract, both with very similar tarrifs including mobile internet, with the Nokia being cheaper. My head is going for the Nokia but my heart is going for the Samsung, any help please?! I will give rep to any helpful advice, thanks!!

10 Comments

Go for the N95 8gb

i'm going for the samsung on a 18 month deal with free internet...and handset.how much you looking to pay?

Original Poster

n3tto;5257364

i'm going for the samsung on a 18 month deal with free internet...and … i'm going for the samsung on a 18 month deal with free internet...and handset.how much you looking to pay?

£20 a month including internet, don't mind paying additional phone, where are you geting it from then???

Tib-Z;5262057

£20 a month including internet, don't mind paying additional phone, where … £20 a month including internet, don't mind paying additional phone, where are you geting it from then???

Hi,
    Think you will struggle to get it for £20 a month with internet....unless your willing to pay alot for the handset.
    What network are you currently on?
    I went for dolphin 45 on orange with 1200 mins unlimited txt, internet, sat nav and maps and insurance for £35 a month with a handset for £30 and thats a good deal.

Original Poster

n3tto;5269657

Hi,Think you will struggle to get it for £20 a month with … Hi,Think you will struggle to get it for £20 a month with internet....unless your willing to pay alot for the handset.What network are you currently on?I went for dolphin 45 on orange with 1200 mins unlimited txt, internet, sat nav and maps and insurance for £35 a month with a handset for £30 and thats a good deal.

I ended up going for £20 a month including 100 minutes, unlimited texts and internet with the phone for about £100 after automatic cash-back

n3tto;5269657

Hi,Think you will struggle to get it for £20 a month with … Hi,Think you will struggle to get it for £20 a month with internet....unless your willing to pay alot for the handset.What network are you currently on?I went for dolphin 45 on orange with 1200 mins unlimited txt, internet, sat nav and maps and insurance for £35 a month with a handset for £30 and thats a good deal.

Where did you get this deal?

ukdeals;5277212

Where did you get this deal?

Direct through orange retentions
    If you call orange sales for a new contract you can get similar deal for £38 per month and free phone.

chris_corbett;5285341

When I called up today, They offered me **** deals, they were offering … When I called up today, They offered me **** deals, they were offering the phone for like £300.00 on top of the contract.Wanting to ring again tomorrow, and speak to somebody better :thumbsup:

Apparently they all had an e-mail to price match a deal with free handset - failing that phones 4u offer it free or get it from mobiles.co.uk free and you can get quidco! i would have gone direct through them had i not been offered a good deal.

I've owned both the n96 and the i8910, and can honestly say the i8910 blows the n96 out of the water.. theres not even a comparison! in every single respect the i8910 is far superior.

To be honest, if the i8910 is to square off against a Nokia phone, it should be against the N97 as that is its main competitor.

I must add however, the orange branded firmware is pretty crap. I've since debranded mine and upgraded to the latest firmware.

Anyway best points about the phone (after updating firmware):

- Amazing AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, which means the touch screen is like that of the iPhone, so can be used with fingers, and no need for a stylus.
    - Fast and responsive whilst using, has a nice 600mhz processor
    - Not crashed at all yet - not even once!
    - 8mp camera, has the usual features such as smile recognition etc
    - 720p recording, best video recording for a mobile phone by a country mile
    - Fast smooth browsing online
    - Very loud speakers for music etc

Bad points
    - Battery life isnt amazing, but after tweaking some of the default settings and updating firmware, I manage to get about 2 days out of it, with general phone use, wifi, browsing, photos etc
    - If you stick to the original orange firmware, theres a glitch with photos you take. When you transfer to your computer (ive tried Vista and Windows 7) the photo resolution messes up. I've since managed to resolve this issue by debranding and updating the firmware.
    - Again on the original firmware, the video recording is good, but the sound quality is very poor. And again this has been resolved by updating firmware.

I've used Nokia's all my life, has the 7610, N70, N95, N96 and I can honestly the i8910 is much better than the N96.

Useful site can be found here regarding issues with firmware, updating firmware - ]here

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fraudulent site2445
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …67117
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846273
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764497

See more discussions