Samsung LCD TV is faulty after 22 months - online shop arnt interested.........advice needed

HI all - I have another gripe with an online retailer.

I bought a 32" samsung LCD 22 months ago which has developed black vertical and horizontal lines (like shadows) across the whole screen. Ive phoned Samsung who have suggested the TV (after a reset) maybe faulty but as its out of its 12 month warranty I would need to pay for a repair. The firm they offered, which is local to me, want £95 just to look at it!!!

I have contacted the online company who sold me the TV and mentioned the sale of goods act - the provisions in the Act entitles the consumer with a faulty item to request a repair or replacement from the retailer or seek damages which would equate to the cost of repair or replacement (for up to 6 years) .

They agreed but then pointed out:

"after 22 months the consumer has to establish that the item was inherently faulty at the time of purchase - examples are a) an error in design so that a product is manufactured incorrectly or b) an error in manufacturing where a faulty component was inserted. The "fault" may not become apparent immediately but it was there at the time of sale and so the product was not of satisfactory standard.

We do not consider that the set we sold you had an inherent fault at the date of purchase. We have sold many of these units and have not had others develop the fault you have described."

So my question is: Whats my next step?

Thanks

15 Comments

we had a problem with our screen, down each side it looks like mucky puddle water (if that makes sense) you can only see it if the background is plain and isnt too obvious. we had our screen replaced under warranty but it happened again so now we have to put up with it. i will never buy another samsung tv ever. weve also had hassle with the cinema surround system which has been replaced twice and is now developing another fault but all out of warranty. altogether everything cost £1800

Next stop, Small Claims Court.

You will have to argue that it didn't last a reasonable amount of time. I would be very upset if my expensive TV stopped working within 4 years of buying it and certainly kick up stink with the shop if it was less than 3 years old. But that's me, I am a [CENSORED] and never happy with what I get. :-D

Well I think on this one you would need an independent engineers report as to if the tv had the fault at manufacture but of course this would cost and if found in favour of the manufacture you have lost the money. In this situation I think it would be wise just to get it fixed and swallow the cost Of course I could be wrong on this but it seems the best option

Isn't this what household insurance is for :whistling:

davelfc;6179265

Isn't this what household insurance is for :whistling:

so you mean fraud? :whistling:

Painkiller;6179190

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/08/27/get_your_refund_distance_selli.html

This is what I was going to suggest :thumbsup:

owens101;6179300

so you mean fraud? :whistling:

er, how is claiming on insurance for something that's broke fraud??

anyway i thought under european law all electrical items sold have a instant 2 year warranty?

Original Poster

thanks all - I am writing to Beyond Television nowusing the BBC template to inform them that I am having an independant report done to find the cause of the fault. If it turns out the TV is a manufacturing fault I will be billing them for report and TV repairs. (although I may have to settle for a "reasonable contribution" towards repairs)

daBluone;6179659

thanks all - I am writing to Beyond Television nowusing the BBC template … thanks all - I am writing to Beyond Television nowusing the BBC template to inform them that I am having an independant report done to find the cause of the fault. If it turns out the TV is a manufacturing fault I will be billing them for report and TV repairs. (although I may have to settle for a "reasonable contribution" towards repairs)

I would seriously just put it down to experience - if you buy online cheap you will usually get cheap service. I work for trading standards and you will rarely win outside the makers warranty. You will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the product was innerently faulty ( almost impossible with electrical goods - the makers will provide info on how many 1,000s they have sold and the average failure rate ) at the time you bought it - 22 months ago. Who can say without doubt a fault existed this long ago ?

Original Poster

Having spoke to consumer direct they have suggested that once I have received the report, if it shows the TV has a fault that is not due to wear and tear then it is reasonable to ask Beyond Television to pay towards a repair (after all I have used it for 22 months so total repair costs may be unreasonable).

I appreciate your input - I will decide the best course once Ive had the TV looked at and will report back here. Im not going to fight it unless I have a solid case.

daBluone;6191758

Having spoke to consumer direct they have suggested that once I have … Having spoke to consumer direct they have suggested that once I have received the report, if it shows the TV has a fault that is not due to wear and tear then it is reasonable to ask Beyond Television to pay towards a repair (after all I have used it for 22 months so total repair costs may be unreasonable).I appreciate your input - I will decide the best course once Ive had the TV looked at and will report back here. Im not going to fight it unless I have a solid case.

Best of luck! Sounds like a retailer to avoid though.

I am sure this model does not have a manufacturing fault.
You are just unlucky.

You are hoping that the report states that a design fault or manufacturing fault is to blame which is very unlikely.

I'd ask OnTheBallCity, a member on here, he may be young but is clued up on statuatory rights and managed to get GAME to replace his 2 year old 360 which only had a years warranty with them.. MS didnt want to know but he got GAME to replace it quoting some sort of statuatory rights at em..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"2035
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763944
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846082
    4. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2450

See more discussions