Samsung Note 8

Found 23rd Aug 2017
Just been viewing the live streams from Sammie on the new Note 8 to go on pre-order as of today for £869. Look & specs very much in-line with all the recent leaks & rumours so nothing new there.

The Americans are getting some huge gifts/rewards for purchasing a Note 8. Europeans on the other hand will get the Dex (£90 of value), those from the USA will be getting a 256gb micro sd card plus a wireless charger plus other options available (very similar to the S8 issue where they got the VR headset & we didn't).

Noticed now that they are also going to be offered $425 off the price of the Note 8 if they were an existing Note 7 owner, as a trade-in for their old devices.

Just wondering are we going to get the same? Or are we going to be crapped all over like they did with the above plus the NOTE 7 refund debacle (where the americans got some nice goodwill gifts/rewards as an apology for the returns and we got nothing bar our money back & the losses we made on accessories which sammie would not credit us back for).

Anyone got any ideas & if the above is the case anyone still going to pay into the Sammie business model of crapping all over non-Americans?
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
35 Comments
I would probably buy it of my contract was about to run out. I wanted the note 7 at the time. I'll probably end up with a note 9 now.
I'm still rocking and rolling the Note 4
Do that come with a free mug?
Non-Americans, OP ? The British management and executives always say to their foreign parent bosses, "You can take the British customers for a ride as they are used to being treated like this here. Additionally the British customer like to be treated badly unintentionally because they want to ditch all the EU consumer protection rights and human rights and want businesses do well and make more money."
splender7 m ago

Non-Americans, OP ? The British management and executives always say to …Non-Americans, OP ? The British management and executives always say to their foreign parent bosses, "You can take the British customers for a ride as they are used to being treated like this here. Additionally the British customer like to be treated badly unintentionally because they want to ditch all the EU consumer protection rights and human rights and want businesses do well and make more money."

Were you at these meetings when they told multi-nationals to treat the Brits badly or were you sent the minutes?

Are you suggesting that I want to be ripped off so I would vote to leave the EU even though the UK has always paid higer prices than the USA/Japan before Brexit was even a twinkle in the eye of our political masters?

Is it not possible that by being free of the EU trade barriers, taxes and diktats that we can negotiate a better deal, being the fifth biggest economy in the world?

Just saying.
Error44054 m ago

Do that come with a free mug?

A fire extinguisher would be better
Dolphinzz11 m ago

A fire extinguisher would be better

I just wondered if they handed out mugs to mugs who spend nearly a grand on a phone, is it like the little dick\ sports car thing? I can't see any other reason why people do it.
How long till i phones and s series are £1000
Graham197937 m ago

Were you at these meetings when they told multi-nationals to treat the …Were you at these meetings when they told multi-nationals to treat the Brits badly or were you sent the minutes?Are you suggesting that I want to be ripped off so I would vote to leave the EU even though the UK has always paid higer prices than the USA/Japan before Brexit was even a twinkle in the eye of our political masters?Is it not possible that by being free of the EU trade barriers, taxes and diktats that we can negotiate a better deal, being the fifth biggest economy in the world? Just saying.

Since WW2 Britain has always negotiated better deals for businesses....but these negotiations for better deals do not automatically mean de facto trickle down as better deals for the Joe Bloggs at the grassroots.

As to the minutes of these meetings about ripping off the Brits, they don't exist or very hard to get. First of all, minutes may not exist as these discussions are done smartly, therefore one has to get a court order to get documents, documents arrive with gaps and text redacted. Then one has to go back to court to secure another court order to get at the redacted information and missing documents.

However "the system" , what you know well, in contrast to the system in Germany, Scandinavia, litters cases of British management systematically rip of the British customers and workers, BHS pension, horse meat, Southern Rail, diesel emission (like Note 7, VW group paid out to US customers and not UK), NHS waiting lists, cladding, zero-hour contract, paying less than minimum wages, banking charges for pennies overdrawn, PPI, Rogue Traders, private pension swindle, credit card surcharges travelling overseas, roaming charges rip off (until EU law came in), charges for 0800 free calls (until legislation came in), loyal customers pay higher charges compared to new customers (switching), house repairs priced on "feel" rather than labour hours, holiday prices priced on per person rates (http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/535177/Rip-off-Britain-consumers-paying-more-UK) ...the list just go on and on....that's why there is this phrase "Rip-off Britain" and you wouldn't find these minuted in boardroom discussions. It is a British executive culture.
Shatwell4 h, 23 m ago

I'm still rocking and rolling the Note 4

Same here I am glad that the Note 5 was not available in the uk otherwise would have upgraded each new Note but in the end built in batteries puts me off so a little sad you cant replace anymore otherwise they would last as long as the Note 4.
Graham19791 h, 20 m ago

Were you at these meetings when they told multi-nationals to treat the …Were you at these meetings when they told multi-nationals to treat the Brits badly or were you sent the minutes?Are you suggesting that I want to be ripped off so I would vote to leave the EU even though the UK has always paid higer prices than the USA/Japan before Brexit was even a twinkle in the eye of our political masters?Is it not possible that by being free of the EU trade barriers, taxes and diktats that we can negotiate a better deal, being the fifth biggest economy in the world? Just saying.

Add to my comments above, rip off car maintenance and repairs too, you know what I mean, one takes a car in for MOT , at certain national chains, you come out with a list of parts needing replacement like £1000+. Like a week ago, a lady went in for an MOT and rung me up to "rescue" her from a car service centre as she couldn't understand all the confusing jargon.
Then there are some big rip-offs, compared with North-west Europe, student fees rip off, please tell me where else in Europe, a student would systematically rack up £50,000 debt before working and with 6%+ interest compounded year on year , nursing students pay now to study nursing and to work at hospitals, graduates work for free to get work experience, leasehold houses and flats with big ground rent and service charge plus whopping great charges for lease changes....the poor old Brits, one asks who are systematically ripping them off? Private equity managers go abroad and tell foreign investors how "soft touch" the Brits are.
Edited by: "splender" 24th Aug 2017
splender2 m ago

Add to my comments above, rip off car maintenance and repairs too, you …Add to my comments above, rip off car maintenance and repairs too, you know what I mean, one takes a car in for MOT , at certain national chains, you come out with a list of parts needing replacement like £1000+. Like a week ago, a lady went in for an MOT and rung me up to "rescue" her from a car service centre as she couldn't understand all the confusing jargon.

She couldn't read the words? Rip off car maintenance, I am not sure how this links to anything outside the country. Dishonest garages should be closed down my friend and the owners jailed as a warning to others.
Anyone else remember the days when high- end smartphones used to be average £500?
Dolphinzz5 h, 56 m ago

Anyone else remember the days when high- end smartphones used to be …Anyone else remember the days when high- end smartphones used to be average £500?

It's true, they're getting to silly prices now. But cheaper phones are a lot more capable now. Honor 9 is a top end specced phone for about £370. Wait a few more months and it will be about £300.
ashmac8 h, 49 m ago

They will keep going up as long as sheep keep flocking to get fleeced every year.
master101 h, 31 m ago

They will keep going up as long as sheep keep flocking to get fleeced …They will keep going up as long as sheep keep flocking to get fleeced every year.

They use the contracts to kid themselves its ok,. Its only £20 a month for 12 months > its only £40 a month for 18 months > its only £60 a month for five years etc.

Soon we shall have carphone warehouse loan services
Error44017 m ago

They use the contracts to kid themselves its ok,. Its only £20 a month for …They use the contracts to kid themselves its ok,. Its only £20 a month for 12 months > its only £40 a month for 18 months > its only £60 a month for five years etc.Soon we shall have carphone warehouse loan services

There are people out there to whom £1000 isn't much money. Quite a lot of people actually.
CoeK2 h, 13 m ago

There are people out there to whom £1000 isn't much money. Quite a lot of …There are people out there to whom £1000 isn't much money. Quite a lot of people actually.

for me it is all about value. a grand to me isn't much but i don't think i would want to pay a grand for a phone. i would happily pay 2 grand for a flight ticket however
mutley128 m ago

for me it is all about value. a grand to me isn't much but i don't think …for me it is all about value. a grand to me isn't much but i don't think i would want to pay a grand for a phone. i would happily pay 2 grand for a flight ticket however

That's kinda my point. Some people have a large collection of games consoles, some buy expensive watches, some like new gadgets like phones etc. It really isn't anyones place to judge.
CoeK31 m ago

That's kinda my point. Some people have a large collection of games …That's kinda my point. Some people have a large collection of games consoles, some buy expensive watches, some like new gadgets like phones etc. It really isn't anyones place to judge.

very true. my mum paid 3 grand for a fridge many years ago and i encouraged her to buy it. everyone is entitled to spend how they like and so a grand for a phone will not put people off who loves their phones. i spend a fortune on jewellery without batting an eyelid so definitely agree.
ashmac15 h, 25 m ago

Until people are happy to pay that. Demand fueling price rises, not the tech
I spent £800 on my I phone

Not saying it's a bad thing ,just asking when will it hit a grand

The I phone 8 will be near £1000
mutley13 h, 55 m ago

very true. my mum paid 3 grand for a fridge many years ago and i …very true. my mum paid 3 grand for a fridge many years ago and i encouraged her to buy it. everyone is entitled to spend how they like and so a grand for a phone will not put people off who loves their phones. i spend a fortune on jewellery without batting an eyelid so definitely agree.

Vulgarity, the rich may cite jealousy but thats just to soothe themselves, the fact is if you wear a diamond encrusted watch people just think you are a massive shallow tool. Its vulgar and in the case of iPhone in a sense heartless cruelty aswell as you know the item was built in a sweatshop in China, at least in the case of say a Morgan car it was hand built in Britain by people paid a good wage but in most cases its just about showing off.
Error44038 m ago

Vulgarity, the rich may cite jealousy but thats just to soothe …Vulgarity, the rich may cite jealousy but thats just to soothe themselves, the fact is if you wear a diamond encrusted watch people just think you are a massive shallow tool. Its vulgar and in the case of iPhone in a sense heartless cruelty aswell as you know the item was built in a sweatshop in China, at least in the case of say a Morgan car it was hand built in Britain by people paid a good wage but in most cases its just about showing off.

i don't think there is anything wrong with people spending their money any way they like. i may not agree with what they spend their money on as i would think it was a waste of money, but they may think the same about some of the stuff i buy. each to his own. free country, free to buy what you want with your own money.
i am on note 4 at the moment and really love it. i will have to abandon the note though as they are getting too big, this one is huge. the current note size is already too big to fit into my jacket and coat pockets so i can't go any bigger. i will have to switch to the S series which is slightly smaller than the current note series but that will help with fitting a little bit better in my jackets and coats
Original Poster
Just confirmed UK isn't getting the discount

telegraph.co.uk/tec…mp/
Original Poster
Been in contact with Samsung at the time i originally posted this thread. Received an email from them today confirming they are planning of doing "something" for NOTE 7 owners in the UK. Lets just hope that they offer the same incentives the Americans are getting at the very least. We were shafted once with the NOTE 7 returns (others got discounts/offers in addition to the refunds), then buggered once again with the Samsung S8/S8+ (with the chargeable VR headsets - whereas others got foc). Now lets see what they offer us ...
Dont buy get the s8 instead.
ssc114 h, 12 m ago

Dont buy get the s8 instead.

looking at the price for s8 and s8 plus, it would just be crazy to buy the note 8. what the hell is samsung thinking? who is really going to buy this when they can get the s8 or s8+ for much cheaper? it's a no brainer.
mutley121 m ago

looking at the price for s8 and s8 plus, it would just be crazy to buy the …looking at the price for s8 and s8 plus, it would just be crazy to buy the note 8. what the hell is samsung thinking? who is really going to buy this when they can get the s8 or s8+ for much cheaper? it's a no brainer.

People who cannot, or will not, buy larger pockets in their clothes, perhaps because they will be considered vulgar by others with much smaller pockets.
fanpages2 h, 29 m ago

People who cannot, or will not, buy larger pockets in their clothes, …People who cannot, or will not, buy larger pockets in their clothes, perhaps because they will be considered vulgar by others with much smaller pockets.

My phone is massive and my pockets are big enough to spend a grand on a phone i just wouldn't because thats a mugs game
I've pretty much decided to get this phone, EE has unlimited mins, txts and 60GB data with annual upgrades for £73 a month. Need to wait for them to have the dual SIM though.

Will probably miss my pixel XL especially since I'm already on Oreo.
Edited by: "CoeK" 1st Sep 2017
Original Poster
Finally heard back from Samsung seems they are NOT going to offer the same discounts for UK customers as the Americans. They have decided that we aren't good enough for them, in Europe from what i've read only 50k units were sold bulk of which was in the UK, in the US millions were sold. We just aren't big enough it seems to warrant being equal with all countries. Shame as it is such a good phone for the price. I had the note 7 prior to this my first foray (AND NOW MY LAST) into the Note arena. If this is the way they want to treat us i am not spending my hard earned money on their phones. They already shafted us with the NOTE 7 debacle with the returns, then the S8/S8+ and now this too. LG V30 or the new Pixel XL2, probably swaying more towards the v30 as that does look good.
kas78622 m ago

Finally heard back from Samsung seems they are NOT going to offer the same …Finally heard back from Samsung seems they are NOT going to offer the same discounts for UK customers as the Americans. They have decided that we aren't good enough for them...

I bet that is exactly how they worded their reply.
fanpages1st Sep

People who cannot, or will not, buy larger pockets in their clothes, …People who cannot, or will not, buy larger pockets in their clothes, perhaps because they will be considered vulgar by others with much smaller pockets.

Segata-Sanshiro1st Sep

My phone is massive and my pockets are big enough to spend a grand on a …My phone is massive and my pockets are big enough to spend a grand on a phone i just wouldn't because thats a mugs game

I was referring to the issue with @muttley1 & "her" clothing; not the depth of "her" pockets regarding funding.

I was also looking for verification that I was on "her" ignore list.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions