​Samsung permanently stops Galaxy Note 7 production

Editor
11/10: BBC News are now confirming that Samsung are to cease ALL production of Galaxy Note 7.

Owners are expected to be able to return the phones for a refund or an exchange for a different Samsung phone.

"We recently readjusted the production volume for thorough investigation and quality control, but putting consumer safety as top priority, we have reached a final decision to halt production of Galaxy Note 7s," the company said.

"For the benefit of consumers' safety, we stopped sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 and have consequently decided to stop production."

-----------------------------------------------------
Update 10/10: Never thought it would get this bad...

SEOUL, Oct 10 (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co Ltd suspended production of its flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, a source said on Monday, after reports of fires in replacement devices added to the tech giant's worst ever recall crisis.

Fires in phones that were meant to replace devices that had been recalled because of their propensity to explode would be a disaster for the world's largest smartphone maker, suggesting it has failed to fix a problem that has already hurt its brand and threatens to derail a recovery in its mobile business.

Samsung told Reuters earlier on Monday it was investigating reports of "heat damage issues" and would take immediate action to fix any problems in line with measures approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

[img]i.imgur.com/kic…jpg?1[/img]

trustedreviews.com/new…ire

---- (Original Post)

In South Korea, for now at least.

Samsung will recall Galaxy Note 7 units following its decision to halt shipments after multiple reports of the phone's battery exploding have surfaced.

It halted shipments to local telcos on Wednesday following multiple reports of the exploding batteries in both Korea and abroad. Samsung previously confirmed it was doing more quality testing for the phones.

This is the best bit, however. 'Reports claimed that Samsung will return the recalled phones with new batteries. Consumers won't be offered a refund or a brand new phone, Chosun Ilbo said, but Note 7 users will be able to visit service centres nearby and will be offered the new parts for free.'

Would you be happy with just parts?

102 Comments

Original Poster Editor

http://i.imgur.com/XdcAi97.jpg

For consumers abroad, including the US, the company will offer new batteries only to the phones that used the defective batteries.

If the recall proceeds, it will be the first time ever for a handset in South Korea.

A Samsung spokesman said "it was discussing the issue of Note 7 internally" and will make an announcement soon.

>>Article here<<source - ZDNet

Edited by: "msmyth" 1st Sep 2016

Prevention is better than cure.

Original Poster Editor

Uh-Oh.

Over the course of the past 24 hours or so, rumours have been circulating … Over the course of the past 24 hours or so, rumours have been circulating about Samsung recalling the Galaxy Note 7 after some of them started exploding. Now it's sources have confirmed that the phablet will be delayed in the UK.Rumours of a recall started in Australia, with sources who spoke to Gizmodo AU. Now, according to TechRadar, sources confirmed the UK delay, and could see people waiting another couple of months while Samsung performs extra safety checks. That's a bit of a bummer, since it was supposed to be released tomorrow.The phone is labelled 'out of stock' with Three, Carphone Warehouse, O2, and on the Samsung Store. EE and Vodafone are still letting you pre-order, but if this delay is true you probably shouldn't expect that to last long.

gizmodo.co.uk/201…uk/

I have just been in touch with my supplier who have told me that samsung have delayed the release to October. I'm gutted, but better safe than sorry.

Mine is on preorder from carphone warehouse.
Had an email from DPD saying they gave it fir next day delivery and already paid DPD £10 to get a early time slot for delivery tommorow.
But also had an email from carphone warehouse saying very sorry release date delayed and they will be in touch.
If there's a 2 month release delay and your lucky enuf to have a handset that does not explode then some people will be willing to pay extra to lay there hands on them lol

Mine was dispatched by Carphone Warehouse this afternoon. Just hope I get lucky and the phone isn't one of the batch numbers they will inevitably end up recalling.

retrogamer

Mine was dispatched by Carphone Warehouse this afternoon. Just hope I get … Mine was dispatched by Carphone Warehouse this afternoon. Just hope I get lucky and the phone isn't one of the batch numbers they will inevitably end up recalling.

..or one that blows up the first time you charge it

SimonMu

Mine is on preorder from carphone warehouse. Had an email from DPD saying … Mine is on preorder from carphone warehouse. Had an email from DPD saying they gave it fir next day delivery and already paid DPD £10 to get a early time slot for delivery tommorow. But also had an email from carphone warehouse saying very sorry release date delayed and they will be in touch.If there's a 2 month release delay and your lucky enuf to have a handset that does not explode then some people will be willing to pay extra to lay there hands on them lol

I suspect the opposite will be true - no one will want to buy a Note 7 from this batch. I suspect a new batch will have a different SN to determine from the iffy batch, and that this will become a common sight in eBay descriptions.

The devices don't just explode the second they're plugged in - it's a fault with the battery cells themselves, so just because one hasn't exploded after a few days doesn't mean it never will.

I got mine 3 days back and was just in the middle of setting it up. Have charged it a few times with no issues.....so far.
What a shame, its a brilliant phone otherwise.

Iv just got mine from carphone warehouse on Tuesday.it seems to be fine but should I return it?

Banned

Kellyn5

Iv just got mine from carphone warehouse on Tuesday.it seems to be fine … Iv just got mine from carphone warehouse on Tuesday.it seems to be fine but should I return it?

silly question. return it

A fire in your house could kill everybody in it.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 2nd Sep 2016

i got mine on release date from 3 as contract upgrade. its been fine so far with excellent battery life as well. do you think i should return it?

Just spoke to cpw. They said that I have 3 options return everything and keep the order open ie get sent a replacement vr headset and phone once the phone is re-released. second option replace the handset for a different make and model, which is a terrible idea based on the fact the £42 a month contract is not justifiable on any other handset. The 3rd option is cancelling the contract, which means the credit rating will take a hit, if i take another contract with vodaphone anytime soon

Original Poster Editor

daindian

Just spoke to cpw. They said that I have 3 options return everything and … Just spoke to cpw. They said that I have 3 options return everything and keep the order open ie get sent a replacement vr headset and phone once the phone is re-released. second option replace the handset for a different make and model, which is a terrible idea based on the fact the £42 a month contract is not justifiable on any other handset. The 3rd option is cancelling the contract, which means the credit rating will take a hit, if i take another contract with vodaphone anytime soon

Did they give any sort of timeframe for sending you a replacement?

Banned

msmyth

Surely Samsung dont even know the turnaround yet?
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 2nd Sep 2016

FS/FT section will be full of Note 7 with a million comments requesting batch number.

About 2 weeks according to the BBC. bbc.co.uk/new…742

msmyth

About 3-4 weeks, which is shocking. Plus have to send the vr back too

Don't see why you need send gear vr back that was a gift to entice pre orders

I've decided I'm going go direct through Samsung that way no need to send the gear vr back

Banned

daindian

I've decided I'm going go direct through Samsung that way no need to send … I've decided I'm going go direct through Samsung that way no need to send the gear vr back

& then ask your provider for a rebate for the time you couldnt use it.

Luckily ordered direct through Samsung. They will provide another stand in phone while the glorious beast 7 is at the doctors. And compensate me for the problems.

Had no issues with the phone and it is an amazing piece of kit, but I'll take some free stuff and a brand new phone for sure

It's not a total worldwide recall because I've heard that the Note 7 uses a different battery for China / Hong Kong markets so those models are not affected.

Samsung sent me back to cpw. Cpw now sent me back to samsung as they got communication that customers should contact Samsung for a swap. So onto round two.

OK Samsung won't replace any handset not bought directly through them. Any handset not bought through Samsung needs to be returned to the retailer with any gifts vr etc. What a joke tbh.

daindian

OK Samsung won't replace any handset not bought directly through them. … OK Samsung won't replace any handset not bought directly through them. Any handset not bought through Samsung needs to be returned to the retailer with any gifts vr etc. What a joke tbh.

I was in Carphone today trying to sort out my Gear VR as they gave me the wrong one. Not once did they mention the recall about the Note 7. They knew about it but, didn't mention about taking it back for the recall or nothing. My local is clueless

Everyone is clueless Samsung and cpw. So I'm now on the phone to samsung customer service cos there customer relation team are useless.

Finally sorted after so many calls!! Samsung customer service took my details and once the replacement procedure is finalised will contact me within 7 days. No sending everything back to cpw.

daindian

Finally sorted after so many calls!! Samsung customer service took my … Finally sorted after so many calls!! Samsung customer service took my details and once the replacement procedure is finalised will contact me within 7 days. No sending everything back to cpw.

​i got mine from 3 as an upgrade. will i be able to go through samsung as well as i have sold my gear vr. also are you continuing to use the phone?

WajAllRound

​i got mine from 3 as an upgrade. will i be able to go through samsung as … ​i got mine from 3 as an upgrade. will i be able to go through samsung as well as i have sold my gear vr. also are you continuing to use the phone?

​I don't see why not. Samsung are liasing with all the networks and retailers so will deal with it all. In regards to vr part I have no idea. As it has no problem I'm 90% sure it doesn't need to be sent back

The good thing about this is being able to use the phone with no cases/protectors on for a week or 2, see how it holds up to the real world before getting a shiny new one to replace it

anthonyt

I was in Carphone today trying to sort out my Gear VR as they gave me the … I was in Carphone today trying to sort out my Gear VR as they gave me the wrong one. Not once did they mention the recall about the Note 7. They knew about it but, didn't mention about taking it back for the recall or nothing. My local is clueless

​How did you get on replacing the vr I had the same problem they sent me incorrect vr cpw customers service useless

daindian

Finally sorted after so many calls!! Samsung customer service took my … Finally sorted after so many calls!! Samsung customer service took my details and once the replacement procedure is finalised will contact me within 7 days. No sending everything back to cpw.

​I phoned up Samsung this morning they would take it back and referred me to cpw how did Yu get around it

ziggy317

​How did you get on replacing the vr I had the same problem they sent me i … ​How did you get on replacing the vr I had the same problem they sent me incorrect vr cpw customers service useless

I've got to wait for the official release of the new VR. They don't have any in stock and any they have are sealed and part of the note 7 package. Once it's released I can go and pick one up. Been a hassle as I got mine sim free so wasn't supposed to get one. But when I pre-ordered instore I was told I'd get it.

The new VR is on the CPW system but with no price as of yet.

Cpw gave me Samsung customer service number. I rang it and asked for an exchange as per their press release. They took some details so job done lol

daindian

Cpw gave me Samsung customer service number. I rang it and asked for an … Cpw gave me Samsung customer service number. I rang it and asked for an exchange as per their press release. They took some details so job done lol

I'll do that in the morning, they closed at 6, thought they would be offering overtime!

anthonyt

I've got to wait for the official release of the new VR. They don't have … I've got to wait for the official release of the new VR. They don't have any in stock and any they have are sealed and part of the note 7 package. Once it's released I can go and pick one up. Been a hassle as I got mine sim free so wasn't supposed to get one. But when I pre-ordered instore I was told I'd get it.The new VR is on the CPW system but with no price as of yet.

​Same here I have sim free handset manager authorised VR was sent the incorrect one I just spoke to CPW will have to wait for them to release it and then change it over the release date in store and online is Sept 9th they have plenty in stock it's just not set up on there systen to order it

daindian

I'm in a similar position to you. So many calls and live chats with CPW and Samsung today. I decided the best bet is to deal direct with Samsung to get this sorted. I was so looking forward to this phone but after receiving it today, just had crashing and restart loop problems like many others it seems. Hopefully the replacement will sort it all out.

retrogamer

I'm in a similar position to you. So many calls and live chats with CPW … I'm in a similar position to you. So many calls and live chats with CPW and Samsung today. I decided the best bet is to deal direct with Samsung to get this sorted. I was so looking forward to this phone but after receiving it today, just had crashing and restart loop problems like many others it seems. Hopefully the replacement will sort it all out.

​Someone else mentioned to me about there phone restarting about 8 times. i got mine on the 30th. i have had it 4 days and it has not restarted or got stuck on me once.

benjammin316

Luckily ordered direct through Samsung. They will provide another stand … Luckily ordered direct through Samsung. They will provide another stand in phone while the glorious beast 7 is at the doctors. And compensate me for the problems. Had no issues with the phone and it is an amazing piece of kit, but I'll take some free stuff and a brand new phone for sure

Do you mind if I ask what Samsung offered as compensation, and did they just offer or did you prompt/request it?

I got mine from Samsung direct and got the recall email today to call them, just so I know what to ask for
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Walnut snip: Nestlé cuts nut out of chocolate after prices surge - The Guar…1011
    2. Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!1420
    3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523407
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846071

See more discussions