Samsung phones locked with specific network provider

Posted 29th Feb
Hello,
Anyone knows if those used phones one CEX claiming to be EE/Vodafone/Virgin... are they with their own firmware, with extra layer of bloatware and delaying Android updates compared to the official being rolled out by Samsung? They come much cheaper than those unlocked and I have read that is quite easy to unlock them...

Looking to buy especifically the S10e which doesn't come down in price, so I'm considering used A/B grade. This will somehow will reduce the burner of spending +400£ for a phone that quite likely will stop updates in 2 years or less.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Observation: a used phone with non-user-replaceable battery is likely be unusable as a daily phone beyond say 3-4 years old regardless of access or not to updates during that period.
Indeed, which it supports my idea of getting a 2nd hand instead. Example: grade B with Virgin £265, brand new £410 at least
henry99929/02/2020 15:27

Indeed, which it supports my idea of getting a 2nd hand instead. Example: …Indeed, which it supports my idea of getting a 2nd hand instead. Example: grade B with Virgin £265, brand new £410 at least

Think you may mis-interpret the observation, but to clarify: the device's battery is likely to be more critical to functionality rather than access to updates or not. The warranty on a battery-powered new device is typically say 6months
selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/Sel…00}
however CEX states (implies?) it offers 2years warranty inc battery if the battery is not removeable:
uk.support.webuy.com/sup…ex-
uk.support.webuy.com/sup…cy-
They don't tend to come with custom software anymore like they used to. You'll get updates when Samsung release them.

Just so you know, the cheapest one in stock at CeX is £305 locked to EE grade B and also, if you unlock the phone it invalidates their 2 year warranty (not sure if they would actually check that but it's what they say)
Edited by: "pompadoms" 29th Feb
AndyRoyd29/02/2020 15:41

Think you may mis-interpret the observation, but to clarify: the device's …Think you may mis-interpret the observation, but to clarify: the device's battery is likely to be more critical to functionality rather than access to updates or not. The warranty on a battery-powered new device is typically say 6monthshttps://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.com/SelfHelp/request.do?view()=c{79ae2a80-f9f3-11de-da00-000000000000}however CEX states (implies?) it offers 2years warranty inc battery if the battery is not removeable:https://uk.support.webuy.com/support/solutions/articles/17000055478--is-there-a-warranty-on-items-that-i-buy-from-cex-https://uk.support.webuy.com/support/solutions/articles/17000053412-what-is-your-store-returns-policy-

I understood you correctly, I was pointing out to the software side - lack of updates after couple of years. Actually, right now I have a Huawei Honor 8 that is stuck on Android 7 since a year and a half, and right now the issue on everyday usage is the battery (it lasts for half a day, so I charge it at the office) and getting short in the internal storage (BBC iPlayer or NowTV doesn't download for offline into SD card).

It's good to know that CEX invalidates the warranty if I unlock the phone. Does it include if you did by a code bought on ebay? If it's provided by the network provider? Let's say I am SimOnly customer with Three since 2 years and I request them a code to unlock the phone adquired at CEX, how likely they are to give it to me?
henry99929/02/2020 16:16

I understood you correctly, I was pointing out to the software side - lack …I understood you correctly, I was pointing out to the software side - lack of updates after couple of years. Actually, right now I have a Huawei Honor 8 that is stuck on Android 7 since a year and a half, and right now the issue on everyday usage is the battery (it lasts for half a day, so I charge it at the office) and getting short in the internal storage (BBC iPlayer or NowTV doesn't download for offline into SD card).It's good to know that CEX invalidates the warranty if I unlock the phone. Does it include if you did by a code bought on ebay? If it's provided by the network provider? Let's say I am SimOnly customer with Three since 2 years and I request them a code to unlock the phone adquired at CEX, how likely they are to give it to me?

I don't know the specifics but when I was purchasing a phone locked to O2 a few years ago I was told if I unlocked it either by code or through the network directly it would invalidate their warranty.

In terms of asking Three for an unlock code, it would only work if the phone was locked to Three (but Three don't lock their phones) If a phone is locked to EE for example, you have to go through EE to get it unlocked or use a code from somewhere else.
pompadoms29/02/2020 16:24

I don't know the specifics but when I was purchasing a phone locked to O2 …I don't know the specifics but when I was purchasing a phone locked to O2 a few years ago I was told if I unlocked it either by code or through the network directly it would invalidate their warranty.In terms of asking Three for an unlock code, it would only work if the phone was locked to Three (but Three don't lock their phones) If a phone is locked to EE for example, you have to go through EE to get it unlocked or use a code from somewhere else.

I meant asking about Three because Three/EE/Virgin puts down the price to similar level at CEX, and I am with Three, on SIM Only, right now.
henry99929/02/2020 16:33

I meant asking about Three because Three/EE/Virgin puts down the price to …I meant asking about Three because Three/EE/Virgin puts down the price to similar level at CEX, and I am with Three, on SIM Only, right now.

There shouldn’t actually be an option for Three locked phones on CeX though as they come unlocked as soon as they are bought from Three. You can also see they’re also all out of stock.
We have had a couple of Samsung phones on Vodafone 24 month contracts & if I remember rightly we were not able to to unlock them in the first year but after that it was fine to unlock.
pompadoms29/02/2020 15:43

...if you unlock the phone it invalidates their 2 year warranty (not sure …...if you unlock the phone it invalidates their 2 year warranty (not sure if they would actually check that but it's what they say)

If the "unlock-invalidates-CEX-warranty" is based on following phrase quoted from CEX t&c I'd happily throw money at legal options if I could be bothered at the time:
"..interference from or with other electronic devices, alteration, improper modification, firmware flashing, bios flashing or service by anyone other than CeX or an agent approved by CeX."
or if you refer to some other t&c term I'd appreciate a reference, thanks.
AndyRoyd29/02/2020 17:06

If the "unlock-invalidates-CEX-warranty" is based on following phrase …If the "unlock-invalidates-CEX-warranty" is based on following phrase quoted from CEX t&c I'd happily throw money at legal options if I could be bothered at the time:"..interference from or with other electronic devices, alteration, improper modification, firmware flashing, bios flashing or service by anyone other than CeX or an agent approved by CeX."or if you refer to some other t&c term I'd appreciate a reference, thanks.

Was told it in store, don’t know if it’s in any T&C’s. I personally thought it was a lot of rubbish and didn’t take any notice of it but I know what CeX are like and tend to say anything to get out of a warranty claim situation.
pompadoms29/02/2020 17:08

Was told it in store, don’t know if it’s in any T&C’s. I personally thoug …Was told it in store, don’t know if it’s in any T&C’s. I personally thought it was a lot of rubbish and didn’t take any notice of it but I know what CeX are like and tend to say anything to get out of a warranty claim situation.

Verbal isn't going to carry any weight over the formal t&c (unless recorded elsewhere such as on the unique sales receipt) so my personal and believed reasonable interpretation would be that unlocking would not trigger that specific formal t&c exclusion term.
AndyRoyd29/02/2020 17:23

Verbal isn't going to carry any weight over the formal t&c (unless …Verbal isn't going to carry any weight over the formal t&c (unless recorded elsewhere such as on the unique sales receipt) so my personal and believed reasonable interpretation would be that unlocking would not trigger that specific formal t&c exclusion term.

Agree!
AndyRoyd29/02/2020 17:06

If the "unlock-invalidates-CEX-warranty" is based on following phrase …If the "unlock-invalidates-CEX-warranty" is based on following phrase quoted from CEX t&c I'd happily throw money at legal options if I could be bothered at the time:"..interference from or with other electronic devices, alteration, improper modification, firmware flashing, bios flashing or service by anyone other than CeX or an agent approved by CeX."or if you refer to some other t&c term I'd appreciate a reference, thanks.

Indeed, unlocking with a generated code is not in any case an alteration/flashing/hacking. To me, it's the normal way the network provider planned to do when they initially lock the phones

Anyway, thank you very much. I think I will go at some moment for one of those (or maybe a better deal that could come up!)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants