Samsung s5 bottom screen buttons not working help needed

My 8 month old son had my phone and was teething on at it after i took it back off him the bottom buttons are not working. For example when trying to press the text box up on whats up nothing happens and when i try and press the bottom keys such as space bar when on the internet it just goes to the keys above such as cvb. I found a temporey work around by have the phone side ways which is a real pain. Its looks it may be water damage but not sure as the back and apps buttons are working underneath

Any help would be much appreciated

8 Comments

Looks like you either have to repair it yourself or take it to a repair shop

https://youtu.be/g9183MmvZR0

It's possible baby slobber is inside, so if the phone is functioning, you might want to let it dry out for a few days (some say leaving it in rice helps).

Original Poster

As i said its weird the home button is working its just that strip above where the space bar is and the text box is on whats app

Mr_Pickled_Egg1

As i said its weird the home button is working its just that strip above … As i said its weird the home button is working its just that strip above where the space bar is and the text box is on whats app

The capacitive layer of the screen is made up of an invisible mesh that respond to your touch. It seems like you have damage to a section of this part of the capacitive layer. If it doesn't work after a few days then you will need to get the display assembly replaced. I wouldn't advice getting someone to hack a new capacitive layer alone as this is a very difficult procedure that inevitably leaves you with a worse display than you had before with imperfections and dust under the screen.

seems like the s5's are waterproof but not baby slobber proof ?
im using an s5 at the moment and i just cannot see how slobber or liquid to get to that part of the screen being as the home screen button is surrounded in gel/glue to prevent liquid damage ?
but then saying that, your evidence speaks for itsself.
if you do get it repaired you will probably be told that ironically it will "no longer be waterproof" as repair shops dont obviously use the same system and glue as samsung.

Turn off and stick in a bag of rice to dry it out.. Pull battery though. If that don't with maybe have ago at swapping digitiser. £6 EBAY...

lollypoplee

seems like the s5's are waterproof but not baby slobber proof ?im using … seems like the s5's are waterproof but not baby slobber proof ?im using an s5 at the moment and i just cannot see how slobber or liquid to get to that part of the screen being as the home screen button is surrounded in gel/glue to prevent liquid damage ?but then saying that, your evidence speaks for itsself.if you do get it repaired you will probably be told that ironically it will "no longer be waterproof" as repair shops dont obviously use the same system and glue as samsung.

​the flaps fall off. I suspect the OP's phone is missing this flap.

That is strange only that part of the screen not working. I would not recommend removing the screen yourself. I would however recommend try letting it dry out and that may remedy the problem.

Original Poster

misterleoni

​the flaps fall off. I suspect the OP's phone is missing this flap.

Correct
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best student laptop max budget £300?22
    2. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)55
    3. tcb what's the longest anyone has waited for a payout?710
    4. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)34

See more discussions