Samsung S7 Edge

Found 21st May 2017
Morning all

Wife decided she's fed up of her iPhone 5s and likes the look of the Samsung A5.

I prefer the S7 Edge as it's a better handset.

Anyone come across any decent prices on sim free handsets seen as the S8 is now out or are the S7 edges holding there price or am I better looking at the A5 for her.
Thanks
Community Updates
38 Comments
Do you mean SIM free or contract prices?
Original Poster
Sim free
Original Poster
Unless there's some really good deals on contract on S7 Edge
S7 edge is a completely different phone to the A5, made for different price ranges. A5 is more mid level and s7 edge is top level series. Price difference is likely to be close to double.
You'd be better off looking on gumtree if you want a good deal. Just bear in mind that S7 edge has the curved screen which is a bomb to replace if broken.
I take it you're aware of the issues with the S7 battery?
I've used s7 edge for a week and it gets red hot charging. It's already gone blank screen and wouldn't turn on from leaving on charge over night it felt like a boiling hot kettle. I also fight with it trying to type 1. It's just on the curve bit and refuses to take notice of me trying to press it. feel like I can't hold it safely aswell as it's slippy and I'm a women with small hands. Just though I'd share my thoughts on it.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone
S7 Edge sounds a nightmare and no not aware of battery issues please advise
Original Poster
I understand the S7 Edge will be more costly compared to A5 as it's a top end. Think she might be better with a5 if the S7 has issues
Original Poster
But the A5 at £300+ looked minty for what it is
Original Poster
popz14

I've used s7 edge for a week and it gets red hot charging. It's already … I've used s7 edge for a week and it gets red hot charging. It's already gone blank screen and wouldn't turn on from leaving on charge over night it felt like a boiling hot kettle. I also fight with it trying to type 1. It's just on the curve bit and refuses to take notice of me trying to press it. feel like I can't hold it safely aswell as it's slippy and I'm a women with small hands. Just though I'd share my thoughts on it.

Is it a faulty handset or do they all get red hot
I've had s7 edge since launch, I have had no battery issues and also can easily get 1 to register so must be a faulty unit.
I'm having a different one soon as voda messed up and sent me the wrong colour so hopefully it is just a faulty one as it was scary how hot it was.
mmurdoch

Is it a faulty handset or do they all get red hot

​Never had an issue of it getting hot or pressing the number 1. Seems like a faulty unit, as for the phone being slippy it's nothing a decent case won't fix.
my wife has had an s7 edge for over 12 months with no problems top notch phone but for the money I would go up to the s8 I've got 1 and it's amazing
same here I've had an S7 edge since launch and the only time mine gets quite hot is when using it with the gear VR, it's a great phone and I recommend it a lot. I prefer ordered an s8 and cancelled it as I love this phone
preordered sorry
mmurdoch

Unless there's some really good deals on contract on S7 Edge

S7 Edge on Three Via affordablemobiles 8GB Data, Unlim Text/Calls for £28/pm or with 30GB of Data for £30/pm.
Original Poster
Seen one for about £22 ish with 4gb I think, she dont really use data on phone and currently never gone over 1gb hence was thinking sim free was possibly better.
I bought my immaculate S7 from Cash Generator for £325, edge feature would be useless as I always get a decent case.
Original Poster
Fangface74

I bought my immaculate S7 from Cash Generator for £325, edge feature … I bought my immaculate S7 from Cash Generator for £325, edge feature would be useless as I always get a decent case.

Good point fangface74 once in a case there's no point of the edge
mmurdoch

Good point fangface74 once in a case there's no point of the edge

​Depends what type of case you use.

Got mine in a Spigen case and use the edge regularly.
Banned
Ive got an s7 edge amazing phone! If your worried about over heating then dont use fast charge, simple. Fast charge isnt meant to be used all the time anyway.
Edited by: "HasnainMajeed" 21st May 2017
I downloaded SwiftKeyboard to improve the keyboard style as I had trouble using it coming from a Sony phone
A5 is not a bad phone. My daughter just gave her 2 year old A5 to my other half and she's delighted with it. She had my old S4 before that. It's very light compared to the S7.
support28

I downloaded SwiftKeyboard to improve the keyboard style as I had trouble … I downloaded SwiftKeyboard to improve the keyboard style as I had trouble using it coming from a Sony phone

I find the best keyboard is Google's own.
HasnainMajeed

Ive got an s7 edge amazing phone! If your worried about over heating then … Ive got an s7 edge amazing phone! If your worried about over heating then dont use fast charge, simple. Fast charge isnt meant to be used all the time anyway.

Why do they supply the fast charge charger with the phone seems a bit silly if u can't use it regularly
Banned
popz14

Why do they supply the fast charge charger with the phone seems a bit … Why do they supply the fast charge charger with the phone seems a bit silly if u can't use it regularly

​Some people use the phone while its on fast charge, thats when it could heat up.
Honestly if your wife is a light user you might as well go with something like a Lenovo p2- the performance would be great and the battery would last her days (which I'm sure would be very refreshing coming from an iPhone 5s). I'd look at some of the reviews if you don't believe me
sainsbury online have the samsung a3 £149 and a5 for £199 2016
Original Poster
clarkjam

Thanks fir info but it was the 2017 version. Hopefully I'll be able to find a good sim free deal on either handset or a cracking contract
sainsburys samsung phones are sim free!!
clarkjam

A5 is oos online
Mrs using s7 edge from 3 months battery lasts longer than my oneplus 3 which is double than iphone
We never leave on charger over night using original charger only takes an hour or so
It's brilliant phone cost me around 400 new from o2 refresh
She broke the back glass yesterday but I checked it's only £13 and not difficult to replace so I would recommend s7 edge
Smartguy1

A5 is not a bad phone. My daughter just gave her 2 year old A5 to my … A5 is not a bad phone. My daughter just gave her 2 year old A5 to my other half and she's delighted with it. She had my old S4 before that. It's very light compared to the S7.

​So ur other half never gets a new phone?
Remember happy wife happy life
Original Poster
Thanks everyone
She's now seen the Sony Xperia XA1 and likes that as well, never been a fan of Sony Xperia's myself tho and would choose the Samsung over the Sony .
Anyone ever used one if so what's your views.

Edited by: "mmurdoch" 22nd May 2017
iibdii

So ur other half never gets a new phone? Remember happy wife happy life

Haha, yes you have a point but if I went out and spent £400 / £500 on a top end phone for her she would be incredibly annoyed and she's scary when she's annoyed. She has always had PAYG phones and it took us ages to convince her to do a rolling sim deal. My wife is the sort of person who doesn't require expensive gifts to keep her happy especially where phones are concerned. I bought her a new phone a few years back and then when I got my LG G4 she asked if she could have my S4 so it wasn't really gifted to her, it was her choice.
Mine has noise on the call quality. My old Nokia Lumia 640 had the best call quality both on hands free and ear piece.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants