Samsung Sd card problem

Posted 28th Dec 2019
I have a Samsung 16gb sd card that is giving me problems. Its nearly full, about 1gb of space left but when I try to access the photos n video clips it just cuts off. I have tried it on the android phone and Windows OS 7,8,10 but all showing the card and then cutting it off when I try to access or copy an image from there. I tried to use Recvua and mini partition tool but none of these work as the card keeps disappearing from the windows screen. It re-appears again after a few mins with a notice to repair the sd card which I let it repair but loops again when I try to load an image from the card.
It's an original Samsung as I tested it with H2testw program when I bought it a few years back.

Any ideas on what else I can do as it has memorable photos and videos.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Any chance it's been backed up to the cloud without you knowing?
Go into Chrome browser and search for "my photos" or "my drive"
No it hasn't as I had limited data so didn't back it up in the cloud and had turned that option off.
Have you tried looking in Google Photos?

I would suggest rescuing what you can to another source and then deleting from the SD card whatever you have rescued. At that point you can "fiddle" around all you like safe in the knowledge you can do no more harm. (Do learn though the 3 backup method of valuable files/photos; a local backup, an off site backup and a cloud backup)

You could try a linux distro which should have tools to extract as many files that it can.
You could try this
gihosoft.com/dat…tml

And you could try google.co.uk/sea…pqU

which will find stacks of suggestions for you to try.
Can any of the recovery tools see it and recover from it using DOS at startup? That would be your best bet if it keeps vanishing in Windows

Another thought - how are you accessing it? Have you tried different ports / readers?
Edited by: "Diggsy" 28th Dec 2019
I have tried different ports and various card readers but I have only 2 or 3 so am limited to them.
I will try the sites suggested by tardytortoise but the problem occurs that the card disappears so none of the programs have chance to work, but will try the Linux option and let you guys know how I get on.
@ Diggsy

How do I use DOS at startup ? I have no idea how to start it up or even to check with DOS.
gill2128/12/2019 11:34

@ DiggsyHow do I use DOS at startup ? I have no idea how to start it up or …@ DiggsyHow do I use DOS at startup ? I have no idea how to start it up or even to check with DOS.

Sorry, I missed that post completely. The best bet is using a recovery program that boots into dos/safe mode/windows PE etc for you. EaseUS offers a trial version I think that lets you recover up to 2gb... easeus.com/dat…htm

Failing that, you could use Hirens Boot CD (google it) which allows you to boot to a safe environment outside of Windows, and from there you can try the data recovery
Okay thanks will try that when I get a chance on the laptop as everyone is wanting it on these holidays
gill2128/12/2019 14:24

Okay thanks will try that when I get a chance on the laptop as everyone is …Okay thanks will try that when I get a chance on the laptop as everyone is wanting it on these holidays

No worries, good luck with it
I managed to solve the problem by putting the sd in a Huawei phone and it worked to keep the sd card stable so I could copy over the content to the computer.
Huawei did say the sd card was damaged but let me read it but some videos and pics were damaged.
Previously I'd tried the sd card on a Samsung android device and it was not showing up.
Thanks guys for all the support and suggestions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants