Groups

Samsung Smartthings

Any one using Smartthings?
    What uses have you put yours to?
    What devices have you found that work directly with Smartthings?

10 Comments

Original Poster

So far I have two belkin wemo bulbs working directly with Smartthings. Using my phone as a presence sensor the downstairs lights now come on automatically when I arrive home.

Yes, I have had this for a few months and really like it. Find it reliable and very easy to use with a wide range of compatible products.

I use my motion sensors to turn on hue lights in certain rooms around the house.
    same with window/door contacts - turns on lights around the house and sends me notifications.
    smart plugs - I use for random gadgets I have around the house.

There is a good smartthings community/forum if you search google. also if you go into marketplace in the app, it shows you a number of different products you can use with it. For me this is probably one of the most versatile smart home equipment you can get but very few people are aware of it (or of its full potential)

​bit pointless if it's just simple task like putting a light on can it do more complex tasks not very but a bit more complex like putting curtains on etc. as u can just get simple sensors which will swicth lights on when u are there.

I've had this now for almost 2 years... Its great! Started off with lots of problems but over the years they've fixed a lot of them! Still some around.

The best place to look in the smartthings forums... It's your font of all knowledge!

I'd give the system a 8-9/10. Its very good! The bits that go with it are quiet expensive, but a lot of people have created device handlers that work with 3rd party devices - It's almost ever expanding of equipment.

I think the system is great. The mobile as a presence sensor is a bit unreliable I find. The actual presence sensor though I cannot fault. It just all ends up a bit expensive.
    Anybody using GU10 bulbs in bathrooms. What have you done with regards to extractor fan. As that used to come on when pull switch for lights but now lights are always on, any solutions?

muddassarsardar

​bit pointless if it's just simple task like putting a light on can it do … ​bit pointless if it's just simple task like putting a light on can it do more complex tasks not very but a bit more complex like putting curtains on etc. as u can just get simple sensors which will swicth lights on when u are there.

Agreed, and yes you can get motorised curtains/blinds which work with this I believe and can then also be controlled via Alexa.

Another plus is that anything you hook up to smartthings can then be linked up to Amazon Echo/Alexa even if the echo does not support it directly.

For example, I can ask my Echo 'Alexa turn on TV' as opposed to 'Alexa tell harmony to turn on TV' because the harmony is connected to my smartthings set up. (not sure if this has been updated via alexa)

You can also set it to turn on TV as you enter your home for example (using the door contact and harmony hub)

I think you can be really creative with it depending on what you requirements,

The sensors you mention would do the job fine for what I currently use it for to be honest but if I wanted to expand it in the future I would have to buy new equipment, potentially rewire parts of my house for the sensors or smart plugs, but this is all wireless and surprisingly very reliable.

Original Poster

I have joined the Smartthings community, always a good place to start. I have found one app in particular that is very good, CoRE, communities own rule engine. I looks like there is very little it wont do.
    I realised last night that the door sensor is far more than just a contact, so much so that it took it off my back door and had a mess with it. Now, turning it face up will switch on my bedside lamp at 100% brightness and turning it face down will switch off the lamp. If I stand it on any of the 4 edges it will dim the lamp to 15, 30, 50 or 75%. Got an osram colour bulb arriving today so looking forward to messing with that.

123thisisme

I have joined the Smartthings community, always a good place to start. I … I have joined the Smartthings community, always a good place to start. I have found one app in particular that is very good, CoRE, communities own rule engine. I looks like there is very little it wont do. I realised last night that the door sensor is far more than just a contact, so much so that it took it off my back door and had a mess with it. Now, turning it face up will switch on my bedside lamp at 100% brightness and turning it face down will switch off the lamp. If I stand it on any of the 4 edges it will dim the lamp to 15, 30, 50 or 75%. Got an osram colour bulb arriving today so looking forward to messing with that.

Where is the CoRE app available from then?

Original Poster

rbramhill1

Where is the CoRE app available from then?

Smartthings community. You should find it with a search. You will have to sign up to the ide to be able to install it, but its worth it.

Original Poster

rbramhill1

What have you done with regards to extractor fan. As that used to come … What have you done with regards to extractor fan. As that used to come on when pull switch for lights but now lights are always on, any solutions?

Sorry I knew I'de seen this question somewhere. Is the fan on a timer, ie did it stay on when you turn the lights off? Does the fan not have its own on/off switch?
    If its on a timer there is a seperate live from from the light switch, you could disconnect that but then the fan wount come on at all. If there is no seperate switch then you could fit one and switch the fan on/off manually.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2957
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764181
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846148
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17406142

See more discussions