SAMSUNG UE65MU8000TXXU

Found 31st Dec 2017
Guys, iv just bought the SAMSUNG UE65MU8000TXXU.
Whilst hd channels seem to be all good I’m finding standard definition channels aren’t all that especially the music channels.
How do people rate this tv? Iv turned on hdmr mode and whatever else, that helps a bit but is it just the case with standard def? It is what it is or am mi missing something?

Cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

You're missing a higher bitrate video feed, resolution has little to do with image quality.

Original Poster

Cheers. But that doesn’t mean much to me. Is it fixable in some way?

In other words, SD channels on all HD TV's will look crap compared to HD streams. There isn't a fix its all about how the channels come through. Most music channels (apart from paid ones) are SD so won't look very good..

marshy511 h, 35 m ago

Cheers. But that doesn’t mean much to me. Is it fixable in some way?

No, the screen resolution isn't the problem most of the time but the bitrate on some channels is dropped to save on bandwidth. This lowers the picture quality, It's a lot like reducing the file size of a jpeg.

You are probably noticing it more on music channels because out of all the standard definitions channels they have an especially low bit rate for video.
I like how you've bought the TV and now ask how people rate it!

Original Poster

MIDURIX7 m ago

You are probably noticing it more on music channels because out of all the …You are probably noticing it more on music channels because out of all the standard definitions channels they have an especially low bit rate for video. I like how you've bought the TV and now ask how people rate it!

I did actually look online for reviews which all seemed positive and viewed it in the shop. Not to much of a dumb move I think. Was looking for advice. Another move I thought was quite smart.
Guess some people are smarter than others huh

marshy517 m ago

I did actually look online for reviews which all seemed positive and …I did actually look online for reviews which all seemed positive and viewed it in the shop. Not to much of a dumb move I think. Was looking for advice. Another move I thought was quite smart. Guess some people are smarter than others huh

Don't cry about it. It's a great TV and one I might consider getting just before the new models come out and its reduced heavily. Old Plasmas were good at making standard definition stuff look decent on a HD panel but standard definition stuff on led panels all looks pretty average, so nothing wrong with the screen.

Original Poster

Ok

All of the 4K TVs are lousy at scaling SD channels compared to Full HD TVs, I've guess it's just that the scaling isn't as refined yet.

It is a poor time to buy a high end TV for actually watching a television. You'll just have to put up with it and hope the broadcasters shift to higher quality over the next few years.

EndlessWaves3 h, 54 m ago

All of the 4K TVs are lousy at scaling SD channels compared to Full HD …All of the 4K TVs are lousy at scaling SD channels compared to Full HD TVs, I've guess it's just that the scaling isn't as refined yet.It is a poor time to buy a high end TV for actually watching a television. You'll just have to put up with it and hope the broadcasters shift to higher quality over the next few years.

To be fair a 4k TV is having to generate a huge amount of extra pixels to display an SD image. This is also one of the reasons TV shops always have a nice high quality 4k feed running on the 4k tv's in store...(usually a nice clean pixar movie)

One thing that you can try is to ensure any connected devices (freeview boxes/DVD Players etc...) are set to not try upscaling their output. A Sky box or DVD player set to output at 1080p will be upscaling SD content to 1080p only for the TV to upscale it again to 4k (two goes at scaling something will never be a good choice). A Sky Q box set to 2160p will be upscaling the video to a native resolution for your 4k tv so the TV's better scaler won't even be doing anything.....

Its very unlikely that any device you purchase (even high end players/AVR's) are unlikely to have a better scaling chipset than the one in your TV, so leave devices set to bypass/passthrough output mode.

Original Poster

Ok thanks people. This is what I was after. Proper advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants