Groups

Samsung Warranty

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and it has developed a pink hair line right through the right side of the screen.

I've checked up online about this and have read numerous posts on this problem. My mate also had this problem a few months ago and got his fixed by Samsung.

The problem with mine is that my bottom right of the phone is smashed, this happened in the first 2 weeks I had the phone, and I've had it for almost 8/9 months.

I've read online that if you're phone is physically damaged, they won't fix anything but due to the number of people who have had this problem, do I have a case?

What could be the best next alternative?

16 Comments

It's worth a try, but I doubt you will be successful. They would say prove that it wasn't caused by the initial drop!

Samsung won't touch it as they will say it could be the crack causing the issues. To replace the display is extremely expensive (~£260) so you'll have to consider whether it's worth it. I ended up claiming on my accidental damage cover on my home insurance when i smashed my s7 edge but i got paid out the full RRP which made it worthwhile.

adamspencer95

Samsung won't touch it as they will say it could be the crack causing the … Samsung won't touch it as they will say it could be the crack causing the issues. To replace the display is extremely expensive (~£260) so you'll have to consider whether it's worth it. I ended up claiming on my accidental damage cover on my home insurance when i smashed my s7 edge but i got paid out the full RRP which made it worthwhile.

Wow! £260 to replace the screen. My mate smashed his LG G5 screen and only cost £60 to replace via LG

speric07

Wow! £260 to replace the screen. My mate smashed his LG G5 screen and … Wow! £260 to replace the screen. My mate smashed his LG G5 screen and only cost £60 to replace via LG

​yup, the curved glass is expensive and Samsung basically have a monopoly on the parts so you cant find a cheap 3rd party alternative. it's also because the glass, digitiser and display are integrated so you cant just replace the glass. combined with a waterproof design, it makes one expensive repair

If you've damaged the display then you have invalidated the warranty, so they'll charge you. If the damage was in an unrelated part of the phone then they might let it pass but with a smashed screen you've got no chance.

adamspencer95

Samsung won't touch it as they will say it could be the crack causing the … Samsung won't touch it as they will say it could be the crack causing the issues. To replace the display is extremely expensive (~£260) so you'll have to consider whether it's worth it. I ended up claiming on my accidental damage cover on my home insurance when i smashed my s7 edge but i got paid out the full RRP which made it worthwhile.

​Has this not made your premiums go up?

bbfb123

​Has this not made your premiums go up?

​no idea yet as its not due for renewal. it probably will, but unlikely to be enough to outweigh the £600 payout i got. i only pay £60 for my home insurance so even a 100% increase and i'm better off

Pays to buy a decent case when you get a new phone. I dropped my LG G4 a couple of times but no damage as it's in a proper case. Just as well as I had to return mine for repair and reading LG's terms and conditions states that any damage, physical or water, will be treated as abuse and will void the warranty. They will make a charge to bring the phone back into warranty by repairing whatever is damaged. It pays to look after your phone by means of a case and screen protector as accidents happen easily.

i had this on mine fixed no problem but i have seen people have issue if screen is damaged

Banned

they will check the mobile but if they will charge you they will let you know.

Samsung are awful with customer service

adamspencer95

Jesus Christ, £260, is that right? My GF's phone slid off the sofa onto a carpeted floor and now she's now got a line on the screen, no visible damage, just the line.

Think we'll have to claim on accidental insurance, no chance we can manage £260 for a repair!

If they do repair it, take it down to a samsung repair store, don't send it via post, as they are sent to anovo.
    Edited by: "arjanvirdi" 23rd Feb

Dusty

Jesus Christ, £260, is that right? My GF's phone slid off the sofa onto a … Jesus Christ, £260, is that right? My GF's phone slid off the sofa onto a carpeted floor and now she's now got a line on the screen, no visible damage, just the line. Think we'll have to claim on accidental insurance, no chance we can manage £260 for a repair!

Invest in a case and a glass screen protector. A few quid spent on these saves you a fortune in the long run

Dusty

Jesus Christ, £260, is that right? My GF's phone slid off the sofa onto a … Jesus Christ, £260, is that right? My GF's phone slid off the sofa onto a carpeted floor and now she's now got a line on the screen, no visible damage, just the line. Think we'll have to claim on accidental insurance, no chance we can manage £260 for a repair!

​yes the part alone is around that price to purchase, i guess Samsung charge less than retail if you get them to fix it.

i claimed on my accidental damage and they said it was uneconomical to repair, hence the payout.

thenormalone

Invest in a case and a glass screen protector. A few quid spent on these … Invest in a case and a glass screen protector. A few quid spent on these saves you a fortune in the long run

You know, I bloody told her to get one when she got the contract, something like an Otter Box Defender. Predictably it was greeted with the usual scorn - me, drop something, never.. Now its defective, drama, the worlds going to end.

Must remind myself to keep an eye on the saving account just in case she decides to get it fix and not go via the insurance..

Rant over. Lets have a cuppa..

Dusty

​If there's no other damage and its still in warranty then Samsung will fix it. They can't charge you without letting you know first so you really have nothing to lose by sending it off other than being without a phone a little while.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What's the best gas and electric deals about ?22
      2. Teenage son new phone (1250 budget)1222
      3. TechInTheBasket?610
      4. Simply games French cases?11

See more discussions