San Francisco

Posted 2nd Sep 2018
Hi there,

I’ve found really cheap flights to San Francisco in April next year for only £295 return with BA. It’s a dream to go there but I’ve been looking at accommodation and it’s expensive.

I was wondering if this is something I just need to accept or if good quality accommodation can be found cheaply? I’d be going for a week at the start of April 2019.

I appreciate any help you can offer.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I've seen a number of flights for San Fran also, I've been looking to go for the last few years.... I've looked at accommodation a number of times and price is the reason I've not booked! I've had a quick look, Airbnb could be an option, but area and transport could push up the price.
Don’t stay in the Tenderloin area, pretty rough there.

We stayed just just outside of it and it was fine. And was only a 5-7 minute walk to union square where hotels were twice the price
mds125602/09/2018 18:01

Don’t stay in the Tenderloin area, pretty rough there. We stayed just just …Don’t stay in the Tenderloin area, pretty rough there. We stayed just just outside of it and it was fine. And was only a 5-7 minute walk to union square where hotels were twice the price

Is that the area where the streets are full of "poop" ?
To be honest I think the price of everything else is putting me off right now. There are really great deals to Abu Dhabi and Dubai for around £600 (including five star hotels).
shnp02/09/2018 18:16

To be honest I think the price of everything else is putting me off right …To be honest I think the price of everything else is putting me off right now. There are really great deals to Abu Dhabi and Dubai for around £600 (including five star hotels).

Been to Dubai and I personally thought san francisco was better. Weather was better in Dubai but it’s too false and man made, also Dubai is really expensive (unless you buy a bottle of coke which was equilivent to like 30p).
cideristhefuture2nd Sep 2018

Is that the area where the streets are full of "poop" ?

Full of crime, gangs and homeless.

the one thing I love about San Francisco is that the areas of it are dramatically different, like around a 20minute walk from tenderloin will get you to one of the most prestige areas of San Francisco (Pacific Heights) where small houses run into 10’s of millions of dollars.
mds125612 m ago

Been to Dubai and I personally thought san francisco was better. Weather …Been to Dubai and I personally thought san francisco was better. Weather was better in Dubai but it’s too false and man made, also Dubai is really expensive (unless you buy a bottle of coke which was equilivent to like 30p).

Thanks for the information. I’ve only recently started travelling. I visited Nice this year and have booked Amsterdam (2 nights) in January and Budapest (4 nights in February).

I was looking for a slightly bigger holiday for the first week in July. I’m not really into lounging about a pool/ beach and sunbathing. Anywhere in particular you would recommend?

Japan would be ideal but just too expensive. Some people have recommended Bangkok.
mds125612 m ago

Been to Dubai and I personally thought san francisco was better. Weather …Been to Dubai and I personally thought san francisco was better. Weather was better in Dubai but it’s too false and man made, also Dubai is really expensive (unless you buy a bottle of coke which was equilivent to like 30p).

Sounds like NZ, I paid £10 for a pint and a lime & soda last year.
Get intouch with trailfinders travel agents. They got my wife and i 4 star hotels in niagara falls ( shereton on the falls,) and toronto for 5 nights with flights and transfers, cheaper than we could get just the flights for. At the moment they are advertising 3 nights in new york 3 nights in san francisco and 3 nights in las vegas inc flights and transfers from £895 pp. Worth a try. Good luck.
I've stayed multiple times at various locations on Lombard Street (US 101), which is West of the twisty part.
There's plenty of motels on that road.

Another area is on the El Camino Real area (South San Francisco / San Bruno), which is close to SFO airport. Plenty of hotel chains.
Which is handy if you're tired from the flight and for when you're dropping your car off.

I'd recommend the airport area over somewhere in the city, as you will be tired and it will minimise your driving to your accommodation after the flight.
Edited by: "Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell" 2nd Sep 2018
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants