Found 6th Mar 2011
how do i make it so that the apps i download from android market are downloaded on to my SD card rather than my phone memory?
also, what is rooting and how do i do it? is it illegal? will it do any harm to my phone (eg. nullify the warranty etc.)?
thanks

1. Misc
  2. Android
39 Comments

Ap2SD will move the aps. Its free from the marketplace. Have a look at the Modaco site for info on rooting. Just allows you a bit more control and to do things like update the software running on your phone.

android.modaco.com/cat…om/

Original Poster

thanks

Original Poster

i cant find ap2sd?
could you find it on the android website please?

Look for APP2SD or MoveToSD. Mind you I think they only work on Android 2.2 or above so you will have too root and update to a 2.2 rom anyway.

Sorry forgot that I was on 2.2 so never realised it didn't work on 2.1

Original Poster

how do i actually do the rooting and what are the effects?
will it do ANYTHING bad?

All you need to know. HERE

Original Poster

thanks. is it illegal?

xbox-360-elite

thanks. is it illegal?

You own the phone, you can do what you like with it.

Original Poster

i rooted it but i still cnt find it?

If you have rooted it and installed a 2.2 rom then here is a link to apps2sd and move2sd

Original Poster

i did what is said on the link you provided, was i supposed to do something extra?

Original Poster

argh!
dont have a google account.
is there a way to just find it on the marketplace?

Original Poster

how do i go about in getting a ROM ( whixh i presume is the step i din't do)
what do i do for it?
what do i pick?

Original Poster

are all the ROM's on modaco?
if so, where?

SuperEd

GAVINLEWISHUKD

All you need to know. HERE

xbox-360-elite

are all the ROM's on modaco?if so, where?

READ THE LINK

Original Poster

oops, only went to a certain point then i stopped cuz i thought i did it...

Original Poster

is this completely safe or could it mess up my phone IF i do it wrong?

xbox-360-elite

is this completely safe or could it mess up my phone IF i do it wrong?

If you follow each step exactly as the guide says, you should be ok, but some people have had issues, see the last few pages here:

hotukdeals.com/dea…=26

As for ROM, I would go for the Jellyfish custom Rom but the choice is yours.

I would certainly try and do the upgrade, I couldn't cope without being able to move apps to SD card. And the performance is better on 2.2

Just follow every step carefully!

Edit: just to add, you need a Google account, and make sure you have already logged into market place before running the update to accept the terms and conditions. Also, some guides say this part must be done on 3G and not wi-fi, but above guide doesn't say this. Not sure if you do have to, but I did just to be safe.

Edited by: "Richierea" 6th Mar 2011

Go to modaco and set the phone up for Clockworkmod and then you can easily install most roms.

Original Poster

how do i make sure all my contacts dont go?

Original Poster

will they go?

xbox-360-elite

how do i make sure all my contacts dont go?

Sync them with googlemail, then they will restore once new rom is installed.

Original Poster

sorry if i am annoying/ asking too many questions but how do i do that?
and can i do the same with my apps?
i cant remember the e-mail address i used for android market (or the password) so how do i go about figuring that out?
thanks

You need to create a new one before you go any further otherwise all contacts will be lost. Then go to next step

Original Poster

will creating a new one and backing my contacts up to that effect my android market as i may have used another account for that or will it be fine?

I think the whole android thing may be to technical for you. Maybe try something less high tech?

Maybe this is more down your street?

amazon.co.uk/Nok…W5O

Original Poster

but i still want help

Original Poster

please?

xbox-360-elite

will creating a new one and backing my contacts up to that effect my … will creating a new one and backing my contacts up to that effect my android market as i may have used another account for that or will it be fine?

You can have more than one google mail account on your phone, so no it won't effect your Android market account.

If you go to settings/accounts and try to add another Google mail account it tells you this.

Sometimes you just need to investigate a bit.....

Original Poster

yes i know, i reply quite a lot on other people just telling me but how do i actually sync them?

xbox-360-elite

yes i know, i reply quite a lot on other people just telling me but how … yes i know, i reply quite a lot on other people just telling me but how do i actually sync them?

On phone:

settings/Accounts and Sync/Auto sync

Turn this on and add the googlemail account (this is added on the same screen)
Edited by: "Richierea" 7th Mar 2011

xbox-360-elite

but i still want help

You sound to me like you need to slow down the process and do a lot more reading. Particularly on modaco before you jump into changing roms. It is not a obvious an easy process until you understand what you are doing to the phone.

Rooting is dangerous as it allows you to make changes at the root level of the phone that can brick it.

Changing roms will usually wipe everything so you need to know how to back everything up and restore if your important stuff.

There are various ways of doing all the things you want to do so there is not just one answer.

Original Poster

Plum

You sound to me like you need to slow down the process and do a lot more … You sound to me like you need to slow down the process and do a lot more reading. Particularly on modaco before you jump into changing roms. It is not a obvious an easy process until you understand what you are doing to the phone. Rooting is dangerous as it allows you to make changes at the root level of the phone that can brick it.Changing roms will usually wipe everything so you need to know how to back everything up and restore if your important stuff.There are various ways of doing all the things you want to do so there is not just one answer.

is that true? is it really dangerous? can it actually brick my phone?!?!

xbox-360-elite

is that true? is it really dangerous? can it actually brick my phone?!?!

I am not going to over egg the cake. It is not really dangerous but it has a small but definite risk that you should be aware of before proceeding. if you understand what you are doing and I don't mean be a wizz kid, just be generally aware of what you are doing at each step you should be fine. However by routing you are unlocking the inner core of the phone and taking away the protections so yes if you corrupt the wrong file etc you can brick the phone.

Having said that people who know a lot more than us have written apps etc that ease a lot of what you need/can do so don't be petrified just cautious. Spend a few weeks reading through threads on routing/ changing roms etc and then decide which way you want to go and be methodical and ask questions if you don't understand a step or it does not work.

Having said that, once you understand what you are doing you will be able to swap roms to your hearts content.

I think you should read up abit more, you dont seem to confident 360, there maybe a youtube vid out there going through the whole process.

Original Poster

@ Plum

as long as i follow the instructions carefully, it should be O.K, right?

xbox-360-elite

@ Plumas long as i follow the instructions carefully, it should be O.K, … @ Plumas long as i follow the instructions carefully, it should be O.K, right?

Follow the instructions and you can not go wrong. Just make sure you give certain things time ie when changing the rom the first boot etc.

Rooting is not really dangerous at all, when all you are doing following the guides, as it's unlikely anything in them will brick the phone. Once you have clockworkmod on, it's near enough brick proof, as you can just boot into that and reinstall a rom.

xbox-360-elite

@ Plumas long as i follow the instructions carefully, it should be O.K, … @ Plumas long as i follow the instructions carefully, it should be O.K, right?

Yes as long as you follow the instructions it really should be fine. I would never put anyone off doing it. Just take your time and try to understand the basic idea of what you are doing.

Any terms you don't understand google. You can then jump in.

This is not a highly risky thing as people have said but we all know the best instructions can have a few weak areas if you are following them parrot fashion. If you have read up you won't panic and can avoid some possible stress.

There are plenty of people willing to help at any stage so definitely do it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?32
    2. Driving anxiety.1517
    3. Xbox Newbie34
    4. private number44

See more discussions