Sand in Poundland Sellotape Dispenser

Found 6th May 2013
I've had said sellotape dispenser for over two years and I always thought it was great and handy. It was heavy enough, so it stood still and the edge was sharp so it cut the sellotape with no fuss, plus it came with 6 rolls of good tape. Then I noticed when I picked it up recently some grains fell out. I thought it was grains of cereal I spilled on the table that got lodged around it. I picked it up again today and a bit of sand fell out. Like half a teaspoon, which is a lot of sand to expect from a tape dispenser! I curiously looked under it and noticed that the padding at the bottom was loosening, and sand was around it. When i pulled it further apart over a bin, lots of sand began to fall out! I'd say several tablespoons. The sand must have been what made it heavy all this while. I'm really surprised that there is sand in tape dispensers. Is this a normal thing?
Community Updates
22 Comments
Yes, it's normal.
Never really give it a thought tbh , but now I have after your thread then yes , I would say it is normal , sand is used in lots of things to weigh things down .
It's normal X)
That's how they weigh it down.
If you tilt the dispenser from left to right you can hear the sand moving.
Original Poster
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/alababaju/WP_000608_zps989f8c5e.jpg

I've poured half the sand away now . Anyway, I was always planning on buying it again if not just for the refills. It served me well for over two years.
Sadly Poundland take thousands of wild staplers from their natural environment (Sea side) each years. The sand preserves the stapler for a few year until it dies. Your stapler is showing signs of an illness, please take it to your local vet.

PS. I have been drinking.
Edited by: "Retro89" 7th May 2013
It's not sand. It's Heroin.

Tape dispensers are often used to smuggle heroin in to the country. In 2002 Staples in Chatham were raided and a whole consignment of tape dispensers were confiscated and later found to contain a shipment of concealed heroin with a street value of £350,000. The heroin was meant to have been collected by the drug smuggling gang but they had not intercepted it because they were aware they were under surveillance during Operation Medway. The police and customs thought they'd managed to trace most of the smuggled heroin but some had found its way to Staples.

It may be that you have in your possession a tape dispenser that also has heroin in and which has escaped detection by customs. You should take it down to your local police station and explain where you bought it so that they can test it for heroin.

Edited by: "Mark2111" 6th May 2013
Banned
I'd sue them for that. Were you made aware of the sand content when purchasing?
Original Poster
So apparently now I have a wild stapler that has been removed from its natural habitat and contains large amounts of heroin. Vet, police or local drug dealer? (_;)
Edited by: "alababaju" 6th May 2013
Personally I think it's shocking that sand could be used. We've often given tape dispensers as gifts to our friends and family when they've had a baby and it's just sickening to think of a newborn baby in their crib playing with their tape dispenser and the back of the dispenser coming away and the baby being showered in sand, perhaps even swallowing some grains.

The manufacturer's never think of the innocent little babies when they make these things do they?

Sand in a tape dispenser? It's a compensation claim just waiting to happen.
Me thinks everyone's had a few sherberts
Thankfully my tape dispenser is filled with rocks and I am never faced with this issue. Although it does take up half the room.
Not much of an input, but this thread really made me chuckle
You have raised an issue that has been troubling me for some time.

Our beaches are slowly being eroded by callous tape dispenser manufactures in their quest for cheap sand. There is a black market for sand stealers who get up very, very early in the morning and tide permitting they steal sand and sell it to the tape dispenser manufacturers.

Take a look at what they've done to Brean Sands

http://i43.tinypic.com/2jfkgx.jpg

Corporate greed is terrible and for what? Just so we can have a handy little gadget to help dispense tape easier? And don't get me started on the actual tape itself which is made from melting butterfly wings.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 6th May 2013
Op,

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/9/90729/1668660-cool_story_bro_jesus.jpg
I dropped mine on the floor, dented the floor and had to spend a lot of time cleaning it up

First world problems
Mark2111

You have raised an issue that has been troubling me for some time.Our … You have raised an issue that has been troubling me for some time.Our beaches are slowly being eroded by callous tape dispenser manufactures in their quest for cheap sand. There is a black market for sand stealers who get up very, very early in the morning and tide permitting they steal sand and sell it to the tape dispenser manufacturers.Take a look at what they've done to Brean SandsCorporate greed is terrible and for what? Just so we can have a handy little gadget to help dispense tape easier? And don't get me started on the actual tape itself which is made from melting butterfly wings.

You may be overthinking this.
Original Poster
TangoTemptress

Me thinks everyone's had a few sherberts

I'm starting to think you're right.
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2201/jesusi.gif
I just warned Dave Mustaine that he might get a few albums sold tonight because of me.
splatsplatsplat

Looking at this, you've got some right nails there! That middle finger looks a bit lethal?
^^ It's worse than that ~ I think it's the ring finger
Original Poster
hapless

Looking at this, you've got some right nails there! That middle finger … Looking at this, you've got some right nails there! That middle finger looks a bit lethal?

TangoTemptress

^^ It's worse than that ~ I think it's the ring finger

I think it was the ring the finger. Was, as because of hapless I took a nail cutter and attacked all the nails on my left hand save the one my little finger.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions