Santa Pod Raceways Advice Wanted

Found 17th Apr 2012
Hi, I am thinking of taking my boys to a raceway circuit for a birthday treat. The closest to me is Santa Pod in Bedfordshire. Their ages are between 6 and 10.

santapod.co.uk/pri…php

I was looking at ticket prices and levels and am slighly confused.

Start time is 8 am (Do I really have to be there that early?)

What are the differences between standard, advance, Grandstand and track fee (I am assuming the last one is for actual racers?)

Lastly it says kids under 13 free, does that mean I can fill the car up with a couple of their friends?

All advice welcome (I am a raceway virgin!!)
Community Updates
MisciPod
24 Comments
Santa pod is a drag strip isn't it? Rather than a circuit

Went there when I was a kid, spent the day there but I don't think it was that early. Rained all day so didn't see much racing, they did dry the track with the fire from the back of one of the cars though which was pretty cool
Santa Pod is great.

If you are going to sit/stand near the start, you will need earplugs for the kids.

Not so much if you are an old weirdo, but the kids will need their ears protecting, as the jet bike, cars & nitro cars are loud.

Grandstand is usually £5 extra, it is a good way of sitting on something without having to take a fold up chair.

We went a couple of weeks ago, they had the usual strip action, stunt plane, action arena and fireworks at the end.

No idea if you are going to see any of that, as i've not checked schedule, but whatever you do.. it is usually a really good day out.

Standard -On the gate
Advanced - Pre booked
Grandstand - £5 @ Grandstand Entrance
Original Poster
sancho1983

Santa pod is a drag strip isn't it? Rather than a circuitWent there when … Santa pod is a drag strip isn't it? Rather than a circuitWent there when I was a kid, spent the day there but I don't think it was that early. Rained all day so didn't see much racing, they did dry the track with the fire from the back of one of the cars though which was pretty cool

Yes Sancho, drag racing, I just thought Kids, loud noises, old bangers, lots of noise and mud spray = Heaven (Hell for the Mrs!!!)
Santa pod is in Northamptonshire not bedfordshire
Original Poster
simonturner69

Santa Pod is great.If you are going to sit/stand near the start, you will … Santa Pod is great.If you are going to sit/stand near the start, you will need earplugs for the kids.Not so much if you are an old weirdo, but the kids will need their ears protecting, as the jet bike, cars & nitro cars are loud.Grandstand is usually £5 extra, it is a good way of sitting on something without having to take a fold up chair.We went a couple of weeks ago, they had the usual strip action, stunt plane, action arena and fireworks at the end.No idea if you are going to see any of that, as i've not checked schedule, but whatever you do.. it is usually a really good day out.Standard -On the gateAdvanced - Pre bookedGrandstand - £5 @ Grandstand Entrance

Simonturner, thanks a bunch, I should be good for the noise (see comments above), where would you advise sitting with probably 4 excitable boys (and dad!!!) to have a good view of the action?
I was thinking grandstand
The Grandstand is pretty much at the start, I would enter next to where you buy the actual GS tickets from, just point on the screen somewhere in the middle of the GS layout. You can also purchase earmuffs there for £5.

If you go on eBay, a bag of ear plugs are cheap and will be sufficient.
Item number: 320222819523
Original Poster
Toasthduk

Santa pod is in Northamptonshire not bedfordshire

Ah, I zeroed in on Bedfordshire, however, their sire states its on the border of bedfordshire and Northamptonshire, still adds an hour or so on the drive up

Simonturner, great advise thanks
defo get ear protection we didnt go prepared and they were charging £16 for ear defenders, have to admit the pink ones looked cool on my 2 yr old neice but expensive all the same. Have fun.
Original Poster
sufcrock123

defo get ear protection we didnt go prepared and they were charging £16 … defo get ear protection we didnt go prepared and they were charging £16 for ear defenders, have to admit the pink ones looked cool on my 2 yr old neice but expensive all the same. Have fun.

Cheers, I'll stock up afore we go!!!!
last time I was at Santa Pod (84) Sammy Miller drove the Rocket Funny Car (Vanishing Point)
The engine was the same type used by NASA in the lunar module landing Craft
0-60 mph in 0.2 seconds and 0-100 mph in 0.3 seconds

FF to 1:44 youtube.com/wat…ted
Edited by: "zermattbusby" 17th Apr 2012
bigdaf1

Ah, I zeroed in on Bedfordshire, however, their sire states its on the … Ah, I zeroed in on Bedfordshire, however, their sire states its on the border of bedfordshire and Northamptonshire, still adds an hour or so on the drive upSimonturner, great advise thanks

More like northants and Buckinghamshire
Toasthduk

More like northants and Buckinghamshire

It's in north bedfordshire a couple of miles from the northamptonshire border, nearest towns are wellingborough & rushden. I know this cos I live within earshot of it. Yes.it gets very loud
Santa Pod Raceway Airfield Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire NN29 7XA

Fact, It is in Northamptonshire. I live near it. in Higham Park.
Original Poster
Google maps puts it one and a half hours from East London, that's what matters to me.
markvirgo

Santa Pod Raceway Airfield Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire NN29 … Santa Pod Raceway Airfield Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire NN29 7XAFact, It is in Northamptonshire. I live near it. in Higham Park.

Sorry but thats just the postal district.A few of the north bedfordshire villages have nn postcodes and 01933 telephone codes but santa pod has a bedford phone code. All services in the area are provided by Bedford borough council. You may want to look here
All of this means nothing to the op of course, enjoy your day out Bigdaf

Edited by: "hermanjelmet" 18th Apr 2012
Was always northants when i lived in mk, same as silverstone and my parents live in LB in bedfordshire, oh well have a great time
Which event is it bigdaf, USC is arguably the biggest event of the year and happens early August, it's well worth going to see Firefox (Jet Funny Car - like the one Richard Hammond crashed).

There'll be plenty of scantily clad wannabe models there for your appreciative eyes.
Original Poster
MinstrelMan

Which event is it bigdaf, USC is arguably the biggest event of the year … Which event is it bigdaf, USC is arguably the biggest event of the year and happens early August, it's well worth going to see Firefox (Jet Funny Car - like the one Richard Hammond crashed).There'll be plenty of scantily clad wannabe models there for your appreciative eyes.

I am looking at the street nationals that falls on on the birthday itself, I'll have to make it a boys only event if scantily clad ladies are abound, I wouldn't want to risk a cold dinner in the evening from the Mrs lol!!!

hermanjelmet and Toastthduk, thanks, it looks like we all will have a great time
Slightly off subject, look out for Renault world series as Silverstone, it's free to apply for tickets and the kids will love it, will get to see the f1 car round the circuit, it's usually a weekend in July/ august
Original Poster
ding

Slightly off subject, look out for Renault world series as Silverstone, … Slightly off subject, look out for Renault world series as Silverstone, it's free to apply for tickets and the kids will love it, will get to see the f1 car round the circuit, it's usually a weekend in July/ august

ding, no info on their website at the moment. if middle of July, I may decide to take the boys for the older one's birthday treat.

many thanks
Renault World Series is August bank holiday this year. We try to camp every year for this as its a great weekend.

We went to Santa Pod (Northants by the way) (_;) for the Easter event. We won tickets but would have been a bit disappointed had i paid full price for them. It was a good day out but if it rains racing doesnt go ahead. Me and hubby enjoyed the day regardless but the kids got a little bored - 9 and 6 years old.
Here's the link for the World Series at Silverstone ( northants!)
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/FIA-World-Endurance-Championship/
And hopefully the last word on the great Santa Pod county debate
en.wikipedia.org/wik…ton
Original Poster
loobie

Renault World Series is August bank holiday this year. We try to camp … Renault World Series is August bank holiday this year. We try to camp every year for this as its a great weekend. We went to Santa Pod (Northants by the way) (_;) for the Easter event. We won tickets but would have been a bit disappointed had i paid full price for them. It was a good day out but if it rains racing doesnt go ahead. Me and hubby enjoyed the day regardless but the kids got a little bored - 9 and 6 years old.

Ah, probably not for us then as we have plans for the bank holiday weekend
Original Poster
hermanjelmet

Here's the link for the World Series at Silverstone ( … Here's the link for the World Series at Silverstone ( northants!)http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/FIA-World-Endurance-Championship/And hopefully the last word on the great Santa Pod county debate :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Podington

As Op I am claiming the right to last word lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions