Sat Nav / TomTom with LANE ASSISTANCE

Posted 30th Jul 2019
Help please!? Which is the best Sat Nav out there with built in Lane Guidance?

Please dont say to download any any phone apps as I would rather save my phone battery and data.

Please also don’t ask me why I need lane guidance and call me a bad driver. There are many roundabouts in the UK where you only realise which lane you need to be in once you have done it a few times. If you are new to a roundabout which is tricky there must be a sat nav out there which says “Keep in the right hand lane” or “move to the middle lane ready to exit at the 4th exit” etc. Just a bit of added security to yourself so you know you’re definitely in the correct lane and to avoid any sudden changes needing to be made.

Any helpwould be appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I'm hearing your pain on the roundabout thing.

Total nightmare on some of them, Ahh no its right lane for straight ahead. Balls if id have known that a mile back before this huge Que which I now have to try and change lane in. Ffs.
Tomtom has good lane assistance, though I dont think it tells you which lane to be in for all roundabouts

I have to tomtom 5000 which has a simcard inside which works globally. I am happy with it

Would be interested to see what get recommended here
niffer130/07/2019 21:28

Tomtom has good lane assistance, though I dont think it tells you which …Tomtom has good lane assistance, though I dont think it tells you which lane to be in for all roundaboutsI have to tomtom 5000 which has a simcard inside which works globally. I am happy with it Would be interested to see what get recommended here

Thanks for that. Hoping to find an answer. I’m 100% sure there is a sat nav out there that does it. Just whenever I’ve googled it I can’t find one that does for both roundabouts and motorway— just motorway lane assistance only! Keep checking back hopefully someone will help us out
MonkeysUncle30/07/2019 21:26

I'm hearing your pain on the roundabout thing.Total nightmare on some of …I'm hearing your pain on the roundabout thing.Total nightmare on some of them, Ahh no its right lane for straight ahead. Balls if id have known that a mile back before this huge Que which I now have to try and change lane in. Ffs.

Haha. I’m glad you feel the pain too - not just me. I’ve been driving for 5 years now so I’d consider myself pretty good and pretty confident. Just sometimes I’ll come up to a roundabout and I’ll throw me off. If I had a Sat Nav which literally told me exactly which lane to be in I can’t go wrong there. Amount of times I’ve done what you’ve said and had to go back round the roundabout - during rush hour traffic it’s a nightmare.

Think of it as an “idiots Guide to road lanes” lol
I have given up on tomtom when there is free Android Auto available with massively superior traffic conditions built in a and speed cameras (inc mobile vans!). Tomtom customer service is poor even by dutch standards. Never their problem, always yours. always want more money. your money. with free services on android, tomtom's days must be numbered
Hi there. I get where you are coming from. I try to avoid my mobile phone if I can help it since it drains battery and eats data etc. I like having my Sat nav placed clearly in my dashboard and feel like they provide accurate information - never had any problems. Just wish there was one with more lane assistance that I’m aware of so it really does make driving THAT easy!
Purplerain1130/07/2019 21:46

Haha. I’m glad you feel the pain too - not just me. I’ve been driving for 5 …Haha. I’m glad you feel the pain too - not just me. I’ve been driving for 5 years now so I’d consider myself pretty good and pretty confident. Just sometimes I’ll come up to a roundabout and I’ll throw me off. If I had a Sat Nav which literally told me exactly which lane to be in I can’t go wrong there. Amount of times I’ve done what you’ve said and had to go back round the roundabout - during rush hour traffic it’s a nightmare. Think of it as an “idiots Guide to road lanes” lol

Been driving 24yr and some roundabouts are just a complete pain if it's busy before you get to lane sign, as each one is different. If you get it wrong just keep calm, indicate look over shoulder with a smile and a nice wave.

Nice folks let you in because they know whats what, just remeber not to be one of the possessive my bit of road people when someone makes a mistake or needs you to give way. You can tell a lot from a person in how they drive, and loads of people are di**s on the road.
I hate roundabouts also, there are many near me which if you follow the lane you start in you end up going back off at the same road instead of moving off the roundabout where the signs tell you. My tip would be to just drive very slowly, don't make any sudden changes and just remember it's a roundabout and you can always go back round again and just try things for a second time. There has been occasions where I've had to go round twice before working out where I had to get off, better to be safe and late than crash into someone.
I know you said to not say to download apps, but I just have to say I use an app called navigator. It works offline so no data in use and the Lane guidance is great. It's not only vial, there is a pictogram that tells you what you are doing next (ie roundabout in 200yds then turning right 3rd exit, and a pictogram within that one that feels you what you are doing after that ie turning right (so you keep to the outside lane, or in my case in a coach usually middle lane with indicator on).
This is particularly useful when leaving a major road into a slip road up to a roundabout. You glance at the picto and see you are leaving at the next junction and turning right at the roundabout, 3rd exit.
I feel your angst with sat nav. I have 2 sat nav, both tomtom. One a standard car one and one is a coach one (with parameters set in for a coach). Both pretty bloody useless at best. Dangerous sometimes.
I use navigator on a tablet - no squinting at a piddly little screen for me. I have a tablet holder, set it up and away I go.

I'd personally suggest putting it on an old phone and trying it on your commute to work. If it works for you then look at the cost of a cheap tablet and work out whether you want to spend £100+ on a tomtom, or £40 on a cheap tablet and holder.

If you're tempted here a Link
Google maps uses barely any data, and as for battery drain, hardly any too. I’m a cabbie and I’ve used just over 55mb in a month. Hardly data munching really.
deleted1279550
Tom Tom life maps are NOT FOR LIFE . it's a false claim . I've not used lane assist with any aftermarket sat navs . Although have used the Mercedes benz system which seemed quiet good . Maybe try Garmin as they seem to be the main rival to Tom Tom.
Has anyone got any information about a sat nav please? Absolutely NO apps please I want a sat nav
Purplerain1106/08/2019 19:48

Has anyone got any information about a sat nav please? Absolutely NO apps …Has anyone got any information about a sat nav please? Absolutely NO apps please I want a sat nav

cecilmcroberts31/07/2019 07:49

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/gadget/best-satnav-3645029/

Yes, as already posted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants