Sat Nav, what would you get

Found 6th Oct 2017
Anyone could recommend a Sat Nav? Nothing too expensive, working with post code, and free map update would be good. (maximum budget £100). I have a phone, but just wanted a dedicated unit, thanks
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I recently spent a while researching satnavs (including Which? reviews), trying to get as much as possible for the little money I was willing to spend. Also needed European maps. I ended up buying the TomTom Go 51at Halfords for £109. This unit includes lifetime world maps, lifetime world traffic (via smartphone), and -surprisingly- lifetime world cameras. Traffic via smartphone works great. Unit detects my phone's bluetooth when I get in the car and connects automatically. The one thing that could be better is the time it takes to boot up (which some reviews mention too), but I simply put it to sleep when I do not use it and then it wakes within seconds when I need it. I cannot see it on Halfords' website anymore, but Amazon and other places still sell it.

HTH.

PS: I previously had a Garmin nuvi 2595LMT which was more expensive than the TomTom, but the TomTom is more user-friendly and more practical IMHO.
Edited by: "Resali" 6th Oct 2017
Resali5 m ago

I recently spent a while researching satnavs (including Which? reviews), …I recently spent a while researching satnavs (including Which? reviews), trying to get as much as possible for the little money I was willing to spend. Also needed European maps. I ended up buying the TomTom Go 51at Halfords for £109. This unit includes lifetime world maps, lifetime world traffic (via smartphone), and -surprisingly- lifetime world cameras. Traffic via smartphone works great. Unit detects my phone's bluetooth when I get in the car and connects automatically. The one thing that could be better is the time it takes to boot up (which some reviews mention too), but I simply put it to sleep when I do not use it and then it wakes within seconds when I need it. I cannot see it on Halfords' website anymore, but Amazon and other places still sell it.HTH.PS: I previously had a Garmin nuvi 2595LMT which was more expensive than the TomTom, but the TomTom is more user-friendly and more practical IMHO.

Thanks, I was looking at the Tom Tom Start 25 , £99 at Argos, and this one of the review from an Amazon buyer (sorry for the long post): But according to this guy, it seems the 25 is better than the 50 series.

Firstly about this model Tom Tom Start 25M

Pros

1. Comes with free map updates
2. Traditional TomTom menu system which most people are used to
3. Simple menu system works well on this good quality resistive screen
4. Excellent screen contrast and clarity
5. Has TomTom IQ Routes
6. Can easily highlight a piece of road on the map and then press “Travel Via” which causes the Tomtom to include that section of the road when planning its rout. You can do this without having to pre-program a stop or waypoint etc
7. Learns from your preferred route inputs so it takes you that way in future by default
8. 3D navigation allows you to see further into the distance and you can see horizon making navigation easier and more predictable. VERY IMPORTANT on unfamiliar or winding roads. This feature reminds me of the excellent CoPilot software for mobile phones. See this link regarding a comparison of the old and new screen layouts............en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-…610
9. Excellent battery life
10. Will display Points Of Interest on screen at all times if you want
11. Retains your destination once you reached it, which is helpful in case you pass it
12. Clear road names all along route

Cons:

1. Traffic information received by additional TMC traffic receiver (purchased separately). Known to be slower to pick up traffic information but it's totally free and works across Europe. This is a subscription free service and therefore can not be deactivated by TomTom. (Does NOT require a mobile phone to connect to receive traffic data)

COMPARISON:................

Now to compare this with the TomTom Start or Go 50/60

Pros:

1. New menu system but can be difficult to use
2. Simpler map layout but has limitations (no “Travel Via – See notes below)
3. Free Traffic updates built in and quick to receive information (These subscription updates cease in some years when TomTom decide the date :)..........You MUST have a mobile phone which these TomToms connect to to allow them to receive traffic data and you will be charged more if you do this abroad!

Cons:

1. Poor screen contrast which is difficult to see on a bright day (Known design problem)
2. There is no “Travel Via” function and so Tom Tom recommend you pre-program stops into your route instead. (Please see this TomTom link uk.support.tomtom.com/app…s?)
3. Tom Tom unit did not seem to learn from preferred route and so did not choose this route in future (Is this because there is no IQ Routes on these models except on Start 60 ?)
4. Most road names missing when in navigation mode (Known problem- See other reviews)
5. Poor resistive touch screen (Known design problem- See other reviews)
6. You can not see horizon in the distance making navigation less predictable
7. Poor battery life on some of these models (Known design problem- See other reviews)
8. No way of displaying Points Of Interest on screen at all times. Instead you have to search for them in each journey! (Known problem- See other reviews)
9. Takes longer to find street names and POI's (Known problem- See other reviews)
10. Some customers report that once you reach and pass your destination the destination disappears from the screen leaving you an empty map (Not Good)
I feel like you would be better off just using your smart phone (if you have one) as a sat nav. Use google maps and simply buy a car charger and you're good to go.

You can download the maps data before you leave using wifi, or just download during your drive if you have lots of data.

There are a few different map apps you can use if you're not a fan of Google maps.

Perks: No need to purchase a sat nav.
Free maps updates
Free traffic updates
PenguinsForAll3 m ago

I feel like you would be better off just using your smart phone (if you …I feel like you would be better off just using your smart phone (if you have one) as a sat nav. Use google maps and simply buy a car charger and you're good to go.You can download the maps data before you leave using wifi, or just download during your drive if you have lots of data.There are a few different map apps you can use if you're not a fan of Google maps.Perks: No need to purchase a sat nav.Free maps updatesFree traffic updates

Thanks, I already do that, but was looking at the option of having a dedicated satnav
If I used my car sat nav and tomtom with traffic updates instead of my phone over the last few months with work I would of lost several hours of my life due to them both not seeing upcoming traffic throughout the day like Google maps seems to do. Would never use anything but my phone ever again if I can help it.
jeannot1844 m ago

Thanks, I already do that, but was looking at the option of having a …Thanks, I already do that, but was looking at the option of having a dedicated satnav

dedicated sat navs are just POS.
get any smartphone from 3-4 years ago (nexus5 for example since that is stock and fast), download waze and google maps. get Three SIM with 200mb data and you have:
1. always up to date maps
2. trafifc updates far more quicker than any satnav out there (tested against tom tom which is a gold standard)
3. far much less to pay (sim is free, phone will cost you around 50 quid)

Did I mention you can load music etc onto it and use that as well?
Edited by: "mattsk" 6th Oct 2017
mattsk44 m ago

dedicated sat navs are just POS.get any smartphone from 3-4 years ago …dedicated sat navs are just POS.get any smartphone from 3-4 years ago (nexus5 for example since that is stock and fast), download waze and google maps. get Three SIM with 200mb data and you have:1. always up to date maps2. trafifc updates far more quicker than any satnav out there (tested against tom tom which is a gold standard)3. far much less to pay (sim is free, phone will cost you around 50 quid)Did I mention you can load music etc onto it and use that as well?

hmmm maybe i should save my money and use my phone then. I need to find a decent phone holder, or maybe one of those bean bag that you place on top of the dahsboard
TomTom every time. Pref. with a large screen. Best mapping IMHO and best human interface. Smartphone is great for infrequent use, but too many things going on, calls,texts,music, alerts etc. it all gets confusing on a small device. Again, just my preference.
airbus3307 h, 47 m ago

TomTom every time. Pref. with a large screen. Best mapping IMHO and best …TomTom every time. Pref. with a large screen. Best mapping IMHO and best human interface. Smartphone is great for infrequent use, but too many things going on, calls,texts,music, alerts etc. it all gets confusing on a small device. Again, just my preference.

You must be easily confused!
artnada43 m ago

You must be easily confused!

probably, its me age!
Seriously, though, I do 15k miles commuting and regularly see idiots struggling to use their smartphones in cars, for whatever reason. You can usually spot them weaving across the white lines on the M6. At least with a dedicated satnav you won't be hauled over by the police and accused of texting.
airbus33044 m ago

probably, its me age!Seriously, though, I do 15k miles … probably, its me age!Seriously, though, I do 15k miles commuting and regularly see idiots struggling to use their smartphones in cars, for whatever reason. You can usually spot them weaving across the white lines on the M6. At least with a dedicated satnav you won't be hauled over by the police and accused of texting.

You wouldn't hold a satnav in your hand, why would you have a phone in your hand when navigating?
32198245.jpg32198245.jpg32198245.jpgThese all work well,

Worth reading this,
thewindscreenco.co.uk/new…ar/
Edited by: "shadey12" 7th Oct 2017
jeannot1812 h, 20 m ago

hmmm maybe i should save my money and use my phone then. I need to find a …hmmm maybe i should save my money and use my phone then. I need to find a decent phone holder, or maybe one of those bean bag that you place on top of the dahsboard

get this amazon.co.uk/Mag…one
stic it to your radio or wherever you feel is the best

then get this:
amazon.co.uk/Spi…one

pop that in behind a phone cover

minimal obstruction cheap, hassle free munt

been using this method for 3 years now
mattsk1 h, 6 m ago

get this …get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Dashboard-Holder-Samsung-Android-Black/dp/B06W2KY1VD/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1507371081&sr=8-31&keywords=magnetic+phonestic it to your radio or wherever you feel is the bestthen get this:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Universal-Rectangle-Compatible-Magnectic/dp/B01E4U4X1I/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1507371179&sr=8-17&keywords=magnetic+phonepop that in behind a phone coverminimal obstruction cheap, hassle free muntbeen using this method for 3 years now

Yes I like the look of this, I used to have one of those suction thingy and a few times had the phone dropping down on the floor. I don't have a phone cover, can I stick it directly onto the back of the phone? The Aukey mount magnetic comes with 2 circular and rectangular metal plate, why would I need the metal plates from the second link? Thanks
Even using a phone mount, touching this whilst in control of your car is a fine plus points possibly.

With this in mind, dedicated satnav every time IMO, with TomTom being the brand of choice, easiest interface of all the satnavs IMO.
andynicol4 m ago

Even using a phone mount, touching this whilst in control of your car is a …Even using a phone mount, touching this whilst in control of your car is a fine plus points possibly.With this in mind, dedicated satnav every time IMO, with TomTom being the brand of choice, easiest interface of all the satnavs IMO.

What would be the difference between touching the phone or the SatNav, in both case you would be distracted. I never, and I mean never use my phone while driving for texting or phoning, so if I use my phone's GPS, i would just set the address and leave it until destination
jeannot1819 m ago

Yes I like the look of this, I used to have one of those suction thingy …Yes I like the look of this, I used to have one of those suction thingy and a few times had the phone dropping down on the floor. I don't have a phone cover, can I stick it directly onto the back of the phone? The Aukey mount magnetic comes with 2 circular and rectangular metal plate, why would I need the metal plates from the second link? Thanks

Aukey one im not sure whats in the box (hence two links), I bought a different one and had 2x round plates and 2x rectangular plates and 1x magnet with a double sided sticky adhesive thing. the metal plates were just that, no sticky bit.
I used a glue to get the plate stick to my phone but its a spare useless phone that I dont need anynmore so I'm not too concerned about damage
mattsk36 m ago

Aukey one im not sure whats in the box (hence two links), I bought a …Aukey one im not sure whats in the box (hence two links), I bought a different one and had 2x round plates and 2x rectangular plates and 1x magnet with a double sided sticky adhesive thing. the metal plates were just that, no sticky bit.I used a glue to get the plate stick to my phone but its a spare useless phone that I dont need anynmore so I'm not too concerned about damage

Thanks, at the end I have ordered this as it rotates and has good review too

amazon.co.uk/dp/…tem

Thanks again for the idea, i have saved myself a few quids I guess, I only need the satnav because my office is moving from Canary Wharf to the city, and i know from past experience that sometimes the roads can be closed, or very busy, so if i change my route, i need to know where i need to go.
jeannot1852 m ago

What would be the difference between touching the phone or the SatNav, in …What would be the difference between touching the phone or the SatNav, in both case you would be distracted. I never, and I mean never use my phone while driving for texting or phoning, so if I use my phone's GPS, i would just set the address and leave it until destination

It is not illegal to use a satnav whilst in charge of a vehicle, BUT if seen it could be deemed as 'not driving with due care and attention', this is purely at the discretion of a police officer who witnessed this action.

BUT it is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst in charge of a vehicle, no if's or but's.
Edited by: "andynicol" 7th Oct 2017
jeannot184 h, 37 m ago

Thanks, at the end I have ordered this as it rotates and has good review …Thanks, at the end I have ordered this as it rotates and has good review toohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HLYSN9/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_itemThanks again for the idea, i have saved myself a few quids I guess, I only need the satnav because my office is moving from Canary Wharf to the city, and i know from past experience that sometimes the roads can be closed, or very busy, so if i change my route, i need to know where i need to go.

It's a magnet so it will rotate regardless. The only difference is that your will tilt so may be handy .
Get a cheap phone three sim with free data and you are sorted
Edited by: "mattsk" 7th Oct 2017
jeannot1821 h, 39 m ago

Thanks, I was looking at the Tom Tom Start 25 , £99 at Argos, and this one …Thanks, I was looking at the Tom Tom Start 25 , £99 at Argos, and this one of the review from an Amazon buyer (sorry for the long post): But according to this guy, it seems the 25 is better than the 50 series.Firstly about this model Tom Tom Start 25MPros1. Comes with free map updates2. Traditional TomTom menu system which most people are used to3. Simple menu system works well on this good quality resistive screen4. Excellent screen contrast and clarity5. Has TomTom IQ Routes6. Can easily highlight a piece of road on the map and then press “Travel Via” which causes the Tomtom to include that section of the road when planning its rout. You can do this without having to pre-program a stop or waypoint etc7. Learns from your preferred route inputs so it takes you that way in future by default8. 3D navigation allows you to see further into the distance and you can see horizon making navigation easier and more predictable. VERY IMPORTANT on unfamiliar or winding roads. This feature reminds me of the excellent CoPilot software for mobile phones. See this link regarding a comparison of the old and new screen layouts............https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/direct-comparison-new-range-with-old-6906109. Excellent battery life10. Will display Points Of Interest on screen at all times if you want11. Retains your destination once you reached it, which is helpful in case you pass it12. Clear road names all along routeCons:1. Traffic information received by additional TMC traffic receiver (purchased separately). Known to be slower to pick up traffic information but it's totally free and works across Europe. This is a subscription free service and therefore can not be deactivated by TomTom. (Does NOT require a mobile phone to connect to receive traffic data)COMPARISON:................Now to compare this with the TomTom Start or Go 50/60Pros:1. New menu system but can be difficult to use2. Simpler map layout but has limitations (no “Travel Via – See notes below)3. Free Traffic updates built in and quick to receive information (These subscription updates cease in some years when TomTom decide the date :)..........You MUST have a mobile phone which these TomToms connect to to allow them to receive traffic data and you will be charged more if you do this abroad!Cons:1. Poor screen contrast which is difficult to see on a bright day (Known design problem)2. There is no “Travel Via” function and so Tom Tom recommend you pre-program stops into your route instead. (Please see this TomTom link http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3604/~/how-do-i-create-a-route-with-several-stops?)3. Tom Tom unit did not seem to learn from preferred route and so did not choose this route in future (Is this because there is no IQ Routes on these models except on Start 60 ?)4. Most road names missing when in navigation mode (Known problem- See other reviews)5. Poor resistive touch screen (Known design problem- See other reviews)6. You can not see horizon in the distance making navigation less predictable7. Poor battery life on some of these models (Known design problem- See other reviews)8. No way of displaying Points Of Interest on screen at all times. Instead you have to search for them in each journey! (Known problem- See other reviews)9. Takes longer to find street names and POI's (Known problem- See other reviews)10. Some customers report that once you reach and pass your destination the destination disappears from the screen leaving you an empty map (Not Good)

Yes, the TomTom 25M keeps getting really good scores despite its age. Definitely worth considering. The comparison with the Go 50/60 is, in my opinion, completely out of date as some cons no longer apply.

I think a dedicated satnav is still a pretty good idea for many people. If you spend £1 for a Which? trial you can read the reviews of numerous satnavs and also of satnav software for Android and iOS - with commentary on the situations the dedicated units beat the phones and vice versa.

HTH.
jeannot187th Oct

Thanks, at the end I have ordered this as it rotates and has good review …Thanks, at the end I have ordered this as it rotates and has good review toohttps://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071HLYSN9/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_itemThanks again for the idea, i have saved myself a few quids I guess, I only need the satnav because my office is moving from Canary Wharf to the city, and i know from past experience that sometimes the roads can be closed, or very busy, so if i change my route, i need to know where i need to go.

Received my magnet holder, and a bit disappointed as it lasted about 2 minutes before coming off with my phone falling at my feet while driving. The magnet is really strong, and the rotation very firm, it is just the sticky bit that is a let down. So I have ordered some super glue and will glue it on my dashboard (which by the way is practically horizontal, so the sticky back is really of poor quality)
J
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants