Groups

SATA Drive shows unallocated space in VISTA pls HELP!!!

Please I have just coupled a new computer, and after installing windows vista Ultimate, I installed my backup drive a 500gb sata drive with all my files on it, but windows did not show it so i went to the disk management under computer management and it is showing my drive as unallocated.
    please help i do NOT want to format this drive. the drive works fine a a previous computer which i no longer have.

Please advise.

33 Comments

Original Poster

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/saayinla/drive.jpg

Unfortunatly I think you have to, I had the same problem on mine when I got a Vista PC.

Original Poster

ryouga;1572925

Unfortunatly I think you have to, I had the same problem on mine when I … Unfortunatly I think you have to, I had the same problem on mine when I got a Vista PC.

are you saying that i cannot in anyway retreive my data?

Unless you put it back in a XP PC.

Not sure if a external case would work or not

Original Poster

ryouga;1572939

Unless you put it back in a XP PC.Not sure if a external case would work … Unless you put it back in a XP PC.Not sure if a external case would work or not

The drive was previously used in a vista pc as well, I initially formatted it in vista and i have been using it in vista until yesterday when i changed system.

Strange, not sure then

could be several things here but most likely is that the mainboard bios has interpreted the drive geometry differently, try disabling that channel in the bios or using an external case/usb caddy

Original Poster

maddogb;1573591

could be several things here but most likely is that the mainboard bios … could be several things here but most likely is that the mainboard bios has interpreted the drive geometry differently, try disabling that channel in the bios or using an external case/usb caddy

what do you mean disabling the channel in the bios?

Vista = :-(

Windows XP =

Copy the data onto an external drive using an xp computer.

Banned

Did the original vista pc have exactly the same version of vista? It will cause a problem if it didnt. Best bet is to put it back in old pc and do a USB transfer of the files to new PC. Then install new HDD in new PC and format it.

Original Poster

csiman;1574839

Did the original vista pc have exactly the same version of vista? It will … Did the original vista pc have exactly the same version of vista? It will cause a problem if it didnt. Best bet is to put it back in old pc and do a USB transfer of the files to new PC. Then install new HDD in new PC and format it.

old pc had vista ultimate, new pc has vista ultimate. that means everytime i re install windows i ll have to format the drive?

Banned

saayinla;1574897

old pc had vista ultimate, new pc has vista ultimate. that means … old pc had vista ultimate, new pc has vista ultimate. that means everytime i re install windows i ll have to format the drive?

No but that might be a reinstall might be a good option as then vista would probably recognise both drives.

Have you tried uininstalling the drive in device manager then re-booting?

Banned

Just download Partition Magic and redistribute the space, it isnt hard..

Isn't this the same as the XP problem that came up the other day ?

Can you not just right click where it shows unallocated space Disk 1 and then allocate it ?

I might be talking out my nether region but worth a try ?

Original Poster

hottoshop;1575307

Isn't this the same as the XP problem that came up the other day ?Can you … Isn't this the same as the XP problem that came up the other day ?Can you not just right click where it shows unallocated space Disk 1 and then allocate it ? I might be talking out my nether region but worth a try ?

No, when i right click the only option i have there is to create a new simple volume.

saayinla;1575379

No, when i right click the only option i have there is to create a new … No, when i right click the only option i have there is to create a new simple volume.

OK sorry then for the misinformation. I don't use vista so couldn't be sure.

I take it you have read the Windows Vista help files on disk management ?

Original Poster

hottoshop;1575391

OK sorry then for the misinformation. I don't use vista so couldn't be … OK sorry then for the misinformation. I don't use vista so couldn't be sure.I take it you have read the Windows Vista help files on disk management ?

Done That, nothing helpful really.

You could also type the following into Google which brings up a few pages that might be helpful ?

unallocated space in vista disk management

Apologies if you've tried all this
    That's all I have to offer...........................................Good luck

Original Poster

hottoshop;1575438

You could also type the following into Google which brings up a few pages … You could also type the following into Google which brings up a few pages that might be helpful ?unallocated space in vista disk managementApologies if you've tried all this :)That's all I have to offer...........................................Good luck

I have already tried this no hope.

hottoshop;1575404

You might get an easy answer through this help … You might get an easy answer through this help forum:http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/538890-disk-management-problem-vista.html

Am on it now, cheers

Look in system bios where the drive is listed and set to no drive installed if pos, also check out sata controller function and try setting to legacy ide/ide this may affect geometry detection as newer system may have it set to ahci
    bios is usually entered thru del or f2 key but options may be limited depending on computer type

Hi there,

This happened to me once. I managed to get all of my data back using Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS.
    stellarinfo.com/par…htm

If the drive is just an NTFS volume, you can buy just the NTFS version for $80.

Or if you don't want to pay anything, well, lets just say I have a special version but it only works on Windows XP. Message me.

Banned

Original Poster

csiman;1575894

i ve tried that now will wait for computer to reboot.

Banned

saayinla;1575956

i ve tried that now will wait for computer to reboot.

any change?

Original Poster

csiman;1576124

any change?

No change.

Banned

only thing I can recommened is to reinstall windows but with the drive already connected

Original Poster

I ll try that as well.

no expert on vista (as if anyone is) but:
    Installing with drive attached may cause writting to the drive which may hinder any chance of data recovery, try the reversable bios options first

Original Poster

maddogb;1576952

no expert on vista (as if anyone is) but:Installing with drive attached … no expert on vista (as if anyone is) but:Installing with drive attached may cause writting to the drive which may hinder any chance of data recovery, try the reversable bios options first

I did not do that, cause i dont think its gonna help. really.

Banned

maddogb;1576952

no expert on vista (as if anyone is) but:Installing with drive attached … no expert on vista (as if anyone is) but:Installing with drive attached may cause writting to the drive which may hinder any chance of data recovery, try the reversable bios options first

It wont write to the drive unless you select it as the main one to install vista to.

csiman;1577588

It wont write to the drive unless you select it as the main one to … It wont write to the drive unless you select it as the main one to install vista to.

as title
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33
      2. DICKINSONS REAL DEAL £25,000 COMPETITION22
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1111
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391515

See more discussions