Satellite finder to reposition dish - is a cheap one gonna do the trick?

Found 11th Aug 2017
Hi guys,

Hope I could use your help, as usual
I recently moved in to the new property which already had a satellite dish installed, which is pointed to get signal for sky (that's Astra satellite I suppose), but I would like to use it with my Polish TV Box which gets signal from Hotbird satellite.

Therefore, I need to reposition the dish to get signal and be able to watch TV. I wasn't really too bothered about that but now as the new football season starts, I need to get that finally sorted.

I have asked around to try and find someone who had a satellite finder device thingie, or for someone who could reposition it for me, but really had no luck. Therefore I decided to look into buying one of those devices. I know you can get pro ones which are really expensive, but you can also find plenty in 10-20 quid range on amazon. Some examples:

amazon.co.uk/d/S…der

amazon.co.uk/sat…der

amazon.co.uk/Fri…der

Is something like that gonna do the trick? I remember last time I had my dish positioned (few years back) the device used was a wireless one which you basically pointed at the dish to read the signal strength (after selecting the satellite you want to check). These seem to work slightly differently as you plug them 'in route' from dish to the tv box, as well as they don't seem to have option to check which satellite you want to take signal from? Any advice on whether any of these devices would allow me to position the satellite correctly for Hotbird? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mat
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Yes you can align a dish with just a compass and meter if you understand what your doing.

No cheap meter will tell you what satellite your on, it will only show you when your actually on a satellite, even the pro meter would have been connected to your dish.

There are a number of apps for both android and ios which allow you to find satellites using your camera, they give you a virtual view so you can get a general direction of the sat your after, also dishpointer.com can also be helpful for this and will also give you the dish elevation needed, just remember most dishes are offset so don't point directly up at the satellite, dishes normally have markings on them for elevation, the difference in elevation between 28E and 13E is only a few degrees anyway so it shouldn't be far off.

Get the dish elevation right then its just a case of pointing it in the right direction using the meter to let you know if your on a satellite, then running inside to see if you have an image, if not move to the next sat using the meter.

I'm sure there must be someone local to you.
Where You Located mate as I got a Horizon Sat Meter could borrow ?
There are a few apps around to point it in the right direction. I use one then use the signal strength indicator on the tv to fine tune the position.
paul123edwards4 m ago

There are a few apps around to point it in the right direction. I use one …There are a few apps around to point it in the right direction. I use one then use the signal strength indicator on the tv to fine tune the position.

Same here, probably more time consuming, but free.
Its not that hard really, I've installed plenty of motorised systems with just a compass and meter.
Do you not need a twin lnb to be able to get Astra and hot bird on the same dish ?
Original Poster
englands284 h, 4 m ago

Do you not need a twin lnb to be able to get Astra and hot bird on the …Do you not need a twin lnb to be able to get Astra and hot bird on the same dish ?

I only need hotbird, not bothered about Astra:)

fisco20016 h, 1 m ago

Where You Located mate as I got a Horizon Sat Meter could borrow ?

Dunfermline, Scotland. Not sure where you are but unlikely to be around. Thanks a lot for offer though, it's much appreciated.

Thanks for all tips guys, I will try it out and see if I manage to get it sorted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants