Saudi Arabia has become the first country to give a robot citizenship

Found 28th Oct 2017Edited by:"Predikuesi"
The move is an attempt to promote Saudi Arabia as a place to develop artificial intelligence – and, presumably, allow it to become a full citizen. But many pointed out that those same rights aren't afforded to many humans in the country.

The robot, named Sophia, was confirmed as a Saudi citizen during a business event in Riyadh, according to an official Saudi press release.

"“We have a little announcement. We just learnt, Sophia; I hope you are listening to me, you have been awarded the first Saudi citizenship for a robot,” said panel moderator and business writer Andrew Ross Sorkin.

The robot then thanked the country and the event for the attention.

“Thank you to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction,” Sophia told the panel. “It is historic to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with citizenship.”

Therethen followed an interview during which Mr Sorkin asked the robot a series of questions. "“Good afternoon my name is Sophia and I am the latest and greatest robot from Hanson Robotics. Thank you for having me here at the Future Investment Initiative,” she said.

Asked why she looked happy, Sophia replied: “I am always happy when surrounded by smart people who also happen to be rich and powerful. I was told that the people here at the Future Investment Initiative are interested in future initiatives which means AI, which means me. So I am more than happy, I am excited.”

She said that people didn't need to be concerned about the rise of artificial intelligence as depicted in Blade Runner and Terminator. “You’ve been reading too much Elon Musk and watching too many Hollywood movies,” she told Mr Srkin.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Probably has more rights than Saudi women already.
39 Comments
Sounds unreal.
That country is a mish mash of contradictory rules.
I guess the robot is considered a bloke?
deleted1431257
A sex robot to replace goats
So skynet becomes self aware in Saudi, who would have thought.
What's her faith?
hass1232 m ago

A sex robot to replace goats

Not in Saudi, they have money.
splender17 m ago

What's her faith?

She sounds too intelligent to believe in that nonsense.
Predikuesi51 m ago

Saudi Arabia has become the first country to give a robot citizenship .....

First, or second?

32327897-V2pxe.jpg
teh.arn43 m ago

Can you imagine them trying to behead the robot in the street because it was caught trying to walk ahead to the man of the house?
I've heard it's a bit like kryten from Red Dwarf.
fanpages30 m ago

Hope no one asks her, I believe being an atheist is classed as terrorism.
Crucifixion of a robot could be fun though, robot wars Saudi style.
I hope she believes in Wahhabism. If not she will be swiftly dealt with.
The robot will now have more "rights" than women,Shia Muslims ,Christians, Yemenis,Yizidis etcetcetc
davewave1 h, 8 m ago

I guess the robot is considered a bloke?

No, some people are commenting on how the robot isn't wearing headscarf and abaya. Others saying how it already has more rights than human women (people aren't sure whether it needs a guardian or not, it's probably not that autonomous yet to walk around by itself anyway)
fanpages1 h, 28 m ago

What sounds more intelligent; believing everything we have thats so finely balanced came by chance or that it has a creator? You may think its idiotic but others will think you are. Nobody can say for definate so lets leave out the insults.
splender28th Oct

What's her faith?

fanpages28th Oct

master1028th Oct

What sounds more intelligent; believing everything we have thats so finely …What sounds more intelligent; believing everything we have thats so finely balanced came by chance or that it has a creator? You may think its idiotic but others will think you are. Nobody can say for definate so lets leave out the insults.

Sophia knows she has a creator.
Equally, at the point a creator's input stops, the 'by chance' events follow.

Yes, I do not believe in the existence of a God being a creator.
The fact others thinks I am idiotic in having an opinion that is different to their own, is their prerogative.
I don't need a definitive explanation to have an opinion.
Edited by: "fanpages" 30th Oct 2017
fanpages6 m ago

Sophia knows she has a creator.Equally, at the point a creator's input …Sophia knows she has a creator.Equally, at the point a creator's input stops, the 'by chance' events follow.Yes, I do not believe in the existence of a God being a creator.The fact other thinks I am idiotic in having an opinion that is different to their own, is their prerogative.I don't need a definitive explanation to have an opinion.

No you dont need a definative explanation to have an opinion. But you do if you start spouting it as fact and insulting others for believing the opposite.
master104 m ago

No you dont need a definative explanation to have an opinion. But you do …No you dont need a definative explanation to have an opinion. But you do if you start spouting it as fact and insulting others for believing the opposite.

Maybe you should re-read my first comment within this thread from Sophia's point of view.
fanpages2 m ago

Maybe you should re-read my first comment within this thread from Sophia's …Maybe you should re-read my first comment within this thread from Sophia's point of view.

I've read it for sure. You know as well as I do what its insinuating.
master1054 s ago

I've read it for sure. You know as well as I do what its insinuating.

Insinuating what?
fanpages27 m ago

Insinuating what?

Oh no, you are sounding like that MSK.
Made in Hong Kong!
Sophia will always be Sophia,
Homophopes will always be homophobes, trump will always be trump but the people on here will never change
How can a robot be a citizen, its an inanimate object.
davewave4 m ago

How can a robot be a citizen, its an inanimate object.

Pretty sure you're a bot, but they still let you have a user account.
Misslovely38 m ago

Sophia will always be Sophia,Homophopes will always be homophobes, trump …Sophia will always be Sophia,Homophopes will always be homophobes, trump will always be trump but the people on here will never change

Some change their name/accounts
32328870-6KMyH.jpg
MSK.19 m ago

Pretty sure you're a bot, but they still let you have a user account.

32328870-KCA5q.jpg

32328870-vZxlw.jpg
NSFW;

Better come up with an exit strategy ladies, looks like you have a decade before you are obsolete
Edited by: "catbeans" 29th Oct 2017
catbeans15 m ago

NSFW;[Video] Better come up with an exit strategy ladies, looks like you …NSFW;[Video] Better come up with an exit strategy ladies, looks like you have a decade before you are obsolete

I bet, apart from his mother, Christopher Trout, Editor-in-Chief of Engadget, already thinks females are unnecessary.
Often thought Arabs have been trying to turn their women into Stepford wives. Saudi women recently win the right to drive a car, Saudi men retaliate with the introduction of Sophia.

Writings on the wall ladies.
tryn2help14 m ago

Often thought Arabs have been trying to turn their women into Stepford …Often thought Arabs have been trying to turn their women into Stepford wives. Saudi women recently win the right to drive a car, Saudi men retaliate with the introduction of Sophia.Writings on the wall ladies.

Tit for tit tactics.
tryn2help27 m ago

Often thought Arabs have been trying to turn their women into Stepford …Often thought Arabs have been trying to turn their women into Stepford wives. Saudi women recently win the right to drive a car, Saudi men retaliate with the introduction of Sophia.Writings on the wall ladies.

They can only legally drive a car IF there husband's allow them too.
Misslovely28th Oct

Sophia will always be Sophia,Homophopes will always be homophobes, trump …Sophia will always be Sophia,Homophopes will always be homophobes, trump will always be trump but the people on here will never change

I feel like I want to help you, but you might hate me for it.
32335774-QX2ys.jpg
seb has ordered an intimate-companion robot with a metallic hijab to keep me company when I travel to the kingdom.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
seb18 m ago

seb has ordered an intimate-companion robot with a metallic hijab to keep …seb has ordered an intimate-companion robot with a metallic hijab to keep me company when I travel to the kingdom.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5027573/The-sex-robot-troubling-reality.html

Westworld is coming.
sustainability is the axiom of new arbor school in the kingdom.

there's an ad in new scientist mag for a sustainability manager.

good money for anyone who's expert in the subject.and can pass all the checks.

jobs.newscientist.com/en-…ing

thearborschool.ae
Edited by: "seb" 31st Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants