SAVE NHS

Found 23rd Mar 2011
38degrees.org.uk/NHS…ion

I’ve just signed a petition to Save the NHS. Right now the government is rushing through plans which experts, and groups representing doctors and nurses, warn could break the NHS up and hand control to private health companies. It's also a huge waste of money at a time when funding is already squeezed with beds and wards being cut.

38degrees.org.uk/NHS…ion

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
60 Comments

Original Poster

Please use the link to sign the petition, thank you.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/NHS-petition

Can you link me to these plans please.

Banned

Jetpac

Can you link me to these plans please.

http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/money_tree.jpg

Thanks signed up

I will be marching and waving my banner on Saturday in London (500mile round trip)

Probably a waste of time but at least myself and kids know I got off my a**e and did what I could.

Anyone else going ?

It has already been thrown out but they are just going through the paper motions

Ignore the trolls. Almost 230,000 people have signed up already.

Those who suggest the NHS is a moneypit refuse to accept that it is actually much more efficient in providing the level of service it does than private healthcare ever could be.

There have been many studies to show this.

There ARE already BIG changes taking place now that are impacting on the ability of the NHS to provide the best levels of care.

David Cameron mislead the public when he suggested that the NHS was safe in his hands. Nick Clegg has already lost much support over this issue.

If you really are not aware what is happening please start reading now before it is too late. These are changes that could affect everyone who may not be able to pay for healthcare.

I have signed and encouraged all of my friends to do likewise.
I do have personal knowledge to back up what I am saying.

iglimpse

I will be marching and waving my banner on Saturday in London (500mile … I will be marching and waving my banner on Saturday in London (500mile round trip)Probably a waste of time but at least myself and kids know I got off my a**e and did what I could. Anyone else going ?

Tell your local newspaper why you are marching
I dont usually bother with marches. The last I attended were when I was a student and in truth often it was because a band was playing or similar. But if I was able to I would be part of this march as I think there are so many issues to make a noise about.
The NHS reforms were not mandated. The conservatives may not have garnered as many votes if they were truthful as to what they were proposing.
The country did not vote for the NHS to be sold off.
Edited by: "WoolyM" 24th Mar 2011

Bump lol

Wow a petition eh? that will make all the difference in the world.

Banned

The ENT dept is useless near me.

Always have to wait at least an hour

DLM - have you ever thought that they may be doing their best, overstretched and overworked. At the end of the day and at for the moment it is free, would you wait an hour for a freebie?

I am sure a lot on here will be complaining about their healthcare premiums when that is the only option left.

Petition signed and passed on

Banned

slummymumi6

DLM - have you ever thought that they may be doing their best, … DLM - have you ever thought that they may be doing their best, overstretched and overworked. At the end of the day and at for the moment it is free, would you wait an hour for a freebie?I am sure a lot on here will be complaining about their healthcare premiums when that is the only option left.Petition signed and passed on

It saddens me that so many people are at the job centre and there is so much work out there that needs to be done.

I wouldn't say it's free at the moment because we pay NI.

hmm i have my doubts

on the one had the NHS is just amazing....u get an awesome service when most needed regardless of who u are. no stressing about bills and insurance etc...the last thing u need to worry about when u r sick

however...its costing the country shed loads..... watched some programme about how the chances of the UK getting out of debt were probably nil unless we did something dramatic like cut the NHS.

so i'm in 2 minds....i love the NHS its awesome.....but is it good for the country? shouldnt we accept that its not giving us a good standard of living as we are living in a country riddled with debt and thus make our own arrangements as so many ppl in other countries do?

hmmmm

DLM

It saddens me that so many people are at the job centre and there is so … It saddens me that so many people are at the job centre and there is so much work out there that needs to be done.I wouldn't say it's free at the moment because we pay NI.

Are you for real oO :|oO

Banned

iglimpse

Are you for real oO :|oO

Why? X)

A small percentage of NI is transferred to the NHS. As far as I am aware, NI is paid by employees not people on the dole. The NHS has a recruitment freeze but always welcome volunteers to ease the pressure

DLM

The ENT dept is useless near me.Always have to wait at least an hour

A little while back I was in need of ENT attention. I initially had some difficulty getting an urgent referral. As such I phoned around to check out options privately.

Fees quoted were as follows
Initial appointment £150
Follow up appointment £200 - or the other way around, but you had pay for at least 2 appointments.
Scans etc about £1000. - Actually it may have been more than that

So if you have not got private healthcare to pick up the costs, you need deep pockets. And not everyone would be accepted for private insurance without an unblemished health record. Which actually descriminates against those who may need it the most

So grumble about something else DLM.

For those who do manage to get private healthcare, the insurance is much the same as other insurance. If you are liable to claim the premiums shoot up. And not everything is covered anyway.

Edited by: "WoolyM" 23rd Mar 2011

I've signed.A good film to watch to see what could happen here in the Uk is 'Sicko'.It shows what the unfair health system is like in the U.S.
youtube.com/wat…PpM
Edited by: "apesvc3" 23rd Mar 2011

I've used private healthcare through work for years and I believe anyone that's offered it through work should use it....to free the NHS for those that don't. I don't pay a premium it's just a taxable benefit and i've had bunion ops, my hubby has had his cruciate repaired, and my son had his tongue tie released and a hypospadius op, all were done quickly, efficiently and stress free.
Luckily our family has not needed accident and emergency because that's not covered.

However the rising costs of our prescriptions and the fact the rest of the UK gets them for free completly gets my goat!!!

We`re so lucky having the nhs but by god we payfor it indirectly its no free. Wish politicians would get together and sort it all out once and for all then leave it alone so the country can spend more time trying to create jobs,build better companies,improve peoples lives and fix the feckin roads.

chas76

I've used private healthcare through work for years and I believe anyone … I've used private healthcare through work for years and I believe anyone that's offered it through work should use it....to free the NHS for those that don't. I don't pay a premium it's just a taxable benefit and i've had bunion ops, my hubby has had his cruciate repaired, and my son had his tongue tie released and a hypospadius op, all were done quickly, efficiently and stress free.Luckily our family has not needed accident and emergency because that's not covered. However the rising costs of our prescriptions and the fact the rest of the UK gets them for free completly gets my goat!!!

It sounds rosy when you look at it like that. I technically have private cover through my employment. But the policies only cover for acute care. Ie something that can be fixed without ongoing costs. Unless you pay a huge top up and Im guessing most dont.
So if a condition becomes chronic you will no longer be covered privately. It happened to me.

Banned

The great thing about the NHS is that it keeps people alive longer and longer and we have to pay not only for their treatments, but also their pensions.

Luckily, money is something we have plenty of so there will be no detrimental consequences whatsoever in the long run.

It's like eating lots of cakes and how you don't put on weight from the extra calories.

FilthAndFurry

The great thing about the NHS is that it keeps people alive longer and … The great thing about the NHS is that it keeps people alive longer and longer and we have to pay not only for their treatments, but also their pensions.Luckily, money is something we have plenty of so there will be no detrimental consequences whatsoever in the long run.It's like eating lots of cakes and how you don't put on weight from the extra calories.

^^^ Havent you got something more important to do
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad171/woolym/99351e36.jpg

I have private healthcare but with lots of things the service, ease and speed can be better going through the NHS, certainly with things like routine things like ultrasound scans and blood tests.
I think we are so incredibly lucky to have the NHS, and some people have no idea how lucky they are but then again it is a money pit which cannot go on at the rate it is at the moment.
I do get frustrated though when I see with my own eyes that the NHS is not financially efficient with some things, like when I was in hospital and my drip had a bubble in it but as the staff were rushed off their feet rather than working the bubble out they just gave me a new line which the nurse said cost something like £30. This frustrated the nurse but there was nothing he could do being so busy.
I wish people would also look after themselves and avoid many self-inflicted illnesses, I think some of the responsibility should be down to individuals and people should take more care in their own health, that could save the NHS a fortune.

Banned

WoolyM

^^^ Havent you got something more important to do

Just my somewhat questionable relationship with my nephews....

My point stands though that we can't (get ready for another pastry-based idiom) have our cake and eat it.

^^^ Just remember Marie-Antoinette

FilthAndFurry

My point stands though that we can't (get ready for another pastry-based … My point stands though that we can't (get ready for another pastry-based idiom) have our cake and eat it.

I have a cake in front of me right now...and I'm eating it....and it's yummy

sickly sweet

I have private healthcare but with lots of things the service, ease and … I have private healthcare but with lots of things the service, ease and speed can be better going through the NHS, certainly with things like routine things like ultrasound scans and blood tests.I think we are so incredibly lucky to have the NHS, and some people have no idea how lucky they are but then again it is a money pit which cannot go on at the rate it is at the moment.I do get frustrated though when I see with my own eyes that the NHS is not financially efficient with some things, like when I was in hospital and my drip had a bubble in it but as the staff were rushed off their feet rather than working the bubble out they just gave me a new line which the nurse said cost something like £30. This frustrated the nurse but there was nothing he could do being so busy.I wish people would also look after themselves and avoid many self-inflicted illnesses, I think some of the responsibility should be down to individuals and people should take more care in their own health, that could save the NHS a fortune.

But if you have private healthcare that's a huge way of saving the NHS money yet as you believe they are better with routine things you prefer to burden them with the cost, i'm sorry i completly disagree with that. I have never had problems/wait times for any of those routine things you describe, that's why you go private.

chas76

But if you have private healthcare that's a huge way of saving the NHS … But if you have private healthcare that's a huge way of saving the NHS money yet as you believe they are better with routine things you prefer to burden them with the cost, i'm sorry i completly disagree with that. I have never had problems/wait times for any of those routine things you describe, that's why you go private.

Provided your condition does not become chronic cos they will tell you, you are no longer covered. Then you may even end up seeing the same doctors who treated you privately but on the NHS.
Hands up whoever didnt know that.

Edited by: "WoolyM" 23rd Mar 2011

chas76

But if you have private healthcare that's a huge way of saving the NHS … But if you have private healthcare that's a huge way of saving the NHS money yet as you believe they are better with routine things you prefer to burden them with the cost, i'm sorry i completly disagree with that. I have never had problems/wait times for any of those routine things you describe, that's why you go private.

My GP decides whether to put it though privately or on the NHS, not me. She often says I'll get better service with NHS and does the referral, I don't argue.
I agree, if I can go private that's great, but I want the best service, I have an amazing GP and trust her choice.
Sometimes the best doctors want to stay loyal to the NHS and don't do private consultations, or the facilities are better at my local hospital, or the journey is less. Lots of reasons.

EDIT: An example...I needed an ultrasound recently.
NHS - same day, hospital 15 minutes away.
PRIVATE - 8 days wait, hospital 30 minutes away.
Its not surprising I chose to go NHS, it was a no brainer, I don't think I should feel I have to take the inferior private service and feel obliged to forfeit a nhs service I am entitled to.

slummymumi6

The NHS has a recruitment freeze but always welcome volunteers to ease … The NHS has a recruitment freeze but always welcome volunteers to ease the pressure

Not 100% the case as certain areas of the NHS are still employing DR's, matrons etc even though they say they are trying to save money by cutting jobs they are simply cutting jobs of lower paid employees and hiring higher paid staff.

Banned

Private healthcare ftw!

Just as a little aside. My now chronic condition was initially picked up through a series of tests undertaken through me taking a series of private appointments. I was urged to do so by my employer. At first the condition was deemed acute and private healthcare continued. But then it got more serious and I have been lucky that the NHS was available or I would no longer have health cover.

Prior to my diagnosis I had looked after my health. I was not overweight or had been someone who abused my health.
So some in similar positions may think they have got all bases covered as I did. But it does not always work out that way.
Believe me when I say we need the NHS.

NFS

Not 100% the case as certain areas of the NHS are still employing DR's, … Not 100% the case as certain areas of the NHS are still employing DR's, matrons etc even though they say they are trying to save money by cutting jobs they are simply cutting jobs of lower paid employees and hiring higher paid staff.

Like many other public sector areas, there are huge cuts occuring. The promise in the NHS is that these would be made in middle and higher management, so that this would not affect front line staff. this is because nobody wants the headlines that they are making nurses redundant, political suicide.

In reality where I work, a few middle management have gone (voluntarily). But they are now trying to demote lots of staff. My sister works on a children's oncology ward (cancer treatments). Her and her staff have been told they have to accept a pay cut. These things are happening to lots of front line NHS workers but because it is not redundancies, it don't make the headlines.

Banned

What are people's problems with this shake up? There is massive wastage at the moment and money is leaking like no tomorrow. It needs a shake up. It needs to be accountable.

Good news as far as I'm concerned. Another scaremongering petition that will achieve nothing as it's signed by the ill informed.

They are privatising the blood service as well. In other countries where this has happened blood donations have decreased.

There are not many who are in good health right now who really believe that they might become dependent on the health service, but I am sure they all want good care for their loved ones if things got bad. So this affects you all.

Coalition is destroying the NHS, senior consultants claim
by Danny Buckland, Daily Mirror 24/03/2011

THE NHS will be destroyed by the “stubborn” ConDem reforms, doctors said yesterday.

Patients will struggle to get treatment for various ­conditions as private firms start to offer NHS services, a British Medical ­Association conference heard.

Critics from all areas of health said the Tory-led Government‘s plan to restructure the NHS and hand £80billion of its budgets to GPs will lead to companies cherry picking profitable ­services, neglecting others.

Dr Mark Porter, head of the BMA’s consultants’ committee, expressed his anger at the London conference yesterday.

He said: “This ­Government’s stubborn refusal to listen is starting to look as if the purpose in this Bill is more the exercise of ideology and authority than a desire to engage doctors in improving healthcare.”

Edited by: "WoolyM" 24th Mar 2011

Banned

WoolyM

They are privatising the blood service as well. In other countries where … They are privatising the blood service as well. In other countries where this has happened blood donations have decreased. There are not many who are in good health right now who really believe that they might become dependent on the health service, but I am sure they all want good care for their loved ones if things got bad. So this affects you all.Coalition is destroying the NHS, senior consultants claim by Danny Buckland, Daily Mirror 24/03/2011 THE NHS will be destroyed by the “stubborn” ConDem reforms, doctors said yesterday.Patients will struggle to get treatment for various ­conditions as private firms start to offer NHS services, a British Medical ­Association conference heard.Critics from all areas of health said the Tory-led Government‘s plan to restructure the NHS and hand £80billion of its budgets to GPs will lead to companies cherry picking profitable ­services, neglecting others.Dr Mark Porter, head of the BMA’s consultants’ committee, expressed his anger at the London conference yesterday.He said: “This ­Government’s stubborn refusal to listen is starting to look as if the purpose in this Bill is more the exercise of ideology and authority than a desire to engage doctors in improving healthcare.”

I read as far as "Coalition is destroying the NHS, senior consultants claim
by Danny Buckland, Daily Mirror 24/03/2011"

Scaremongering.

Banned

WoolyM

They are privatising the blood service as well. In other countries where … They are privatising the blood service as well. In other countries where this has happened blood donations have decreased. There are not many who are in good health right now who really believe that they might become dependent on the health service, but I am sure they all want good care for their loved ones if things got bad. So this affects you all.Coalition is destroying the NHS, senior consultants claim by Danny Buckland, Daily Mirror 24/03/2011 THE NHS will be destroyed by the “stubborn” ConDem reforms, doctors said yesterday.Patients will struggle to get treatment for various ­conditions as private firms start to offer NHS services, a British Medical ­Association conference heard.Critics from all areas of health said the Tory-led Government‘s plan to restructure the NHS and hand £80billion of its budgets to GPs will lead to companies cherry picking profitable ­services, neglecting others.Dr Mark Porter, head of the BMA’s consultants’ committee, expressed his anger at the London conference yesterday.He said: “This ­Government’s stubborn refusal to listen is starting to look as if the purpose in this Bill is more the exercise of ideology and authority than a desire to engage doctors in improving healthcare.”

There is something interesting about the scaremongering being used in the States over 'Obamacare' and the similarities in the scaremongering being used over here.

The simple fact is that the NHS is only going to need more money because medicine is keeping people alive for longer using techniques and pills that cost more and more money. At some point we have to maybe look at things like cost.

Banned

^^^^^^^ Agreed
Post a comment
@
    Text