Saving money on food?

Posted 2nd Dec
I think I probably spend more than most people on takeaways. The reasons for this are that I can't cook and I'm a fussy eater. I grew up in a house where no one cooked and never bothered learning myself. This has resulted in me having a much lighter wallet and a belly that could do with being lighter. When I buy food in the supermarket it's usually ready meals or frozen pizzas. Does everyone else on HUKD just cook everything they eat from scratch?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Takeaway and fussy eater is usually a conflicting combination.
21 Comments
we get takeaway one or two nights a week and go out for a meal once a week normally... we cook fresh the rest of the week...
Might not work for you if you are fussy, but might be worth trying Gousto boxes for delivery, you get all the ingrediants you need and a reasonably easy to follow recipe. Just having the stuff in the house might help?

But even if you are supermarket shopping you can take small steps, get vegetables, potatoes and steak (beef or pork) or chicken breast and do meat, potato and two veg meals.
We have 2 takeaways a month tops.

Food is easy to cook from scratch.
Plus you can't be that fussy if you eat ready meals, most taste not that great!
Are you cooking just for yourself or would it be for others? I cook from scratch most days for me and the mrs. I love it and see it as a nice break after work - I think having that mindset is the key. Also cooking things you can eat over 2 days is great as you would only cook every couple of days. Make a big list of things you like and what can be made in big quantities. We rarely eat out or have takeaways due to the cost. Fresh food is both better for you and cheaper once you get to grips with it. Good luck!
Don't do take away.

It would be either cooking, ready meal or eating out.

I live close to local supermarket. It would be quicker for me to pick up a pizza or ready meal and stick into oven then waiting for delivery.
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 2nd Dec
Takeaway and fussy eater is usually a conflicting combination.
Cook plenty from scratch, but also often have ready meals.
One of my favourites is the Tesco value (Hearty range) frozen Lasagne - 65p and actually really tasty. 380 calories or so.
I make up a big container of salad once or twice a week and always have the lasagne with salad.

I make a lot of stirfries, again making the veg up at the start of the week and keeping it in a container.
My current favourite (which I make myself) is spiralised swede to replace noodles - the closest yet to actual noodles, but a lot less calories.
Nothing complicated - chop veg up, keep in a container (and both with that and the salad, a layer of kitchen roll ontop of the food under the lid helps it stay fresh much longer), then I add 100g of chicken from a bag of Iceland pre-cooked frozen chicken breast. Bit of thai 7 spice seasoning and (low salt) soy sauce to taste after.
I tend to cook from scratch at the weekend and have ready meals or reheated stuff I've cooked and frozen myself beforehand during the week(whenever I cook curry, chilli, stew etc I ALWAYS make extra to freeze).

I often go for the ready meals which consist of fresh meat with sauce and/or a little veg and then cook some additional veg or pasta to go with it. They're not as heavily loaded with preservatives as regular ready meals.
Edited by: "spoo" 2nd Dec
You have to tackle your food problems by yourself & actually prep / batch cook to find out what you like / love & what you can learn to adjust to.

(rather than the little kids "uurgh I hate that" point blank refusal to ever eat any variationof that food type again) ..that is likely half of the solution right there.
Basically how the west was won in our house, the mindset i've adapted to foods of many varieties combined with regular tastes of the unknown, ..this has also been passed onto my daughter who as a deaf kid also had problems eating from a baby onwards ..persistance = win & diverse palate (unless you cause the mental block & inertia) ..I'm now eating foods that made me gag & spew & enjoying them. in maturity.
point is never give up!

Kiddo started eating egg whites a few months ago after a lifetime of rejection has now moved onto hardboiled eggs (the ultimate white egg parts nightmare in our book of the past) ...went first for a runny scotch egg then a hard boiled! ...opportunity in much wider mouthfeel & ingredients perspective, especially where decent ramen dishes are concerned.
@SandorClegane replace those role models around you who can't cook, with role models on youtube who can cook at beginners' level. Select the videos which show the full length hand movements with ingredients and timings.
£100,000 worth of takeaways and restaurants could be replaced with ~£15,000 cooking yourself easily.
Instead of cooking everything from scratch wht not buy jars of sauce like curry or bollo or the Mexican meal kits for example, if you are able to follow simple instructions then you can cook these no trouble
We have 1 take away a week every fri I use slow cooker a lot band stuff in first thing and ready at tea time. My brother cooks all sorts in his slow cooker lasagne and even cake
There was a survey done on how many people eat the same meal on the same day each week, and the results showed that's what most people do, so you really only need to learn how to cook 7 meals.

BBC Good Food is a great source for recipes, lots of stuff like curries etc you can make extra and freeze
Recommend the three How to Cook books by Delia Smith. They start from literally how to boil an egg. Available 2nd hand on eBay for about £2 each.
I like cooking a lot, but it is harder to motivate yourself when only cooking for yourself. Cooking for others is satisfying when people appreciate that you have done it from scratch. As said above, batch cooking and freezing is great. Google 'simple recipe' for a dish you like and give it a go. The BBC Good Food site and Allrecipies are worth a look. Save your recipes links that work.
You will definitely save money quitting the ready mades/take aways, but the health benefits are there to be won. You only need to look up the amount of sugar and salt in supermarket foods to be convinced.
Give hello fresh or gousto a go very fun and beginner's friendly
I cook from scratch every evening as we're all out (school and work for dinner) I cook two meal from scratch every weekend and spend roughly £40 a week on food for a family of 5. We have takeaway on special occasions like birthdays
Home cooked food here, cooked from scratch.

Lots of slow cooked foods that are cheaper cuts of meat but with time become even more tender and delicious than expensive cuts.

Lots of bulk cooking and freezing things, and enjoying microwave meals on down days that are really home cooked meals just warmed up.

I enjoy leftovers; tonight I had leftover roast lamb and it was easy, quick and yummy.

The more you cook, the more confidence you will have and be able to realise what works for you.
nadhaw02/12/2019 19:09

I cook from scratch every evening as we're all out (school and work for …I cook from scratch every evening as we're all out (school and work for dinner) I cook two meal from scratch every weekend and spend roughly £40 a week on food for a family of 5. We have takeaway on special occasions like birthdays

Takeaway meals are such a treat. They are usually planned as something to look forward to and really enjoyed. Only happens maybe 4 times a year though as it’s hard to justify the price when home cooking is so much cheaper.
I'm a reasonably fussy eater and find that cooking from scratch makes life easier.

For example I don't like pepper (the spice not the deal community ) so I simply don't add it to my recipes.

It's gotten to the point now where I rarely look at a recipe and just make something up with what I have based on techniques I have learnt from previous recipes.

I'd rather make my own pizza or adapt a basic supermarket one than eat takeaway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions