Groups

Saving photos and videos off my phone when I change my SIM card

I am changing over to 3 from Orange. I now have my PAC code and instructions how to unlock my phone (Sony Xperia Z2) - currently working out my notice. Apart from transferring all of my photos and videos over to my computer, is there a better way of doing this - somebody mentioned Cloud a while ago, but don't know how to use it or know anything about it? I do not have a memory card for my phone. I just want to make sure that my photos don't disappear during the transfer and also need to free up some space on my phone. Thank you.

14 Comments

Google photo use that app you can sign in to it externally to confirm pictures uploaded

you won't lose data on your phone from a network chamber. All it does is change the network.

but google photos line mentioned above is good can back up all your pics and videos easily.

Google photo as above. You can choose to save as their full resolution which will use you Google drive space. Or reduced size which uses no space.

But if you're only changing the sim, and using an unlock code you won't lose anything from your phone. there is no need for a full reset.

Original Poster

Bobbajob

Google photo as above. You can choose to save as their full resolution … Google photo as above. You can choose to save as their full resolution which will use you Google drive space. Or reduced size which uses no space.But if you're only changing the sim, and using an unlock code you won't lose anything from your phone. there is no need for a full reset.

If I save at a reduced size, wouldn't that mean that the quality would not be as good anymore - I would like to get the photos printed at a later date, so would want the best quality? I have hardly any space left on my phone now, does the google photo app take up a lot of space then?

Sophiasky

If I save at a reduced size, wouldn't that mean that the quality would … If I save at a reduced size, wouldn't that mean that the quality would not be as good anymore - I would like to get the photos printed at a later date, so would want the best quality? I have hardly any space left on my phone now, does the google photo app take up a lot of space then?

According to Google:

Choose a storage size

You can choose between two storage sizes to back up your photos and videos to your Google Photos library.

High quality
    Unlimited free storage.
    Standard cameras: Recommended for phones or point-and-shoot cameras that are 16 megapixels (MP) or less.
    Uses: Good for general printing and sharing.
    Size: Saves high-quality photos and videos while reducing the size.

Original
    Limited free storage: Uses storage in your Google account regardless of photo or video size.
    DSLR cameras: Recommended if you take photos with a DSLR camera and want to maintain the original quality.
    Uses: Recommended for printing large banners or for storing original files.
    Size: Stores your photos and videos exactly as you captured them.

On my phone, full size photos are 12 megapixels and 8.24 MB.

Highquality when saved in google photos is the same resolution, but file size reduced to 1.6 MB.
    Good enough for most purposes unless you wanted to print out an A0 poster.
    You will still have the full size image on your phone.

The APP isn't that big.

Original Poster

Bobbajob

According to Google:Choose a storage sizeYou can choose between two … According to Google:Choose a storage sizeYou can choose between two storage sizes to back up your photos and videos to your Google Photos library.High qualityUnlimited free storage.Standard cameras: Recommended for phones or point-and-shoot cameras that are 16 megapixels (MP) or less.Uses: Good for general printing and sharing.Size: Saves high-quality photos and videos while reducing the size.OriginalLimited free storage: Uses storage in your Google account regardless of photo or video size.DSLR cameras: Recommended if you take photos with a DSLR camera and want to maintain the original quality.Uses: Recommended for printing large banners or for storing original files.Size: Stores your photos and videos exactly as you captured them.

My photos were taken with a 20 MP camera on my phone. However, I'm looking at the Google photo app on my computer now, do I just copy the photos, etc, over with my USB lead to my computer, or, am I supposed to load the app on my phone and do it all on my phone? I read that if on phone, you click, free up some space, and it is supposed to transfer the photos. I'm just wondering which would be the best way of doing this, seeing that I don't want to risk losing the photos in the process?

download the app and it will automatically upload all your pics. just click on backup I think you can manually add photos from albums that weren't uploaded

Original Poster

adhkarzf

download the app and it will automatically upload all your pics. just … download the app and it will automatically upload all your pics. just click on backup I think you can manually add photos from albums that weren't uploaded

I've tried downloading the app, but it says that I don't have sufficient space.

Original Poster

I don't know why I'm having problems here - before I installed Windows 10, it was so simple - I just used to plug in my USB lead and upload the photos. On my computer it says that Google photos is installed, but when I try to upload photos from my phone (via USB), it is just looking for photos on my PC (photos already on my PC), it is not recognising the fact that I have a mobile device connected with a USB lead - does anybody know how I get around this please? Thank you.

have you tried logging into Google on your phone and seeing if you can upload like that. I've not done it like that so not sure if it's even possible but worth a try.

adhkarzf

have you tried logging into Google on your phone and seeing if you can … have you tried logging into Google on your phone and seeing if you can upload like that. I've not done it like that so not sure if it's even possible but worth a try.

​I mean the website not the app

Original Poster

I have now deleted some items and because I had enough room, have now installed the Google Photos app. I went on to my settings and selected backup and sync. Now all of my photos and videos have been saved, I think, under the Albums option - if I click on it, it says that I have not created any albums myself, however, the photos are under autosaved.attachment and the videos under videos. However, if I just click on the main page, the photos are still there - if I click on one, it gives me the option to select it and then use cloud (haven't done this though, as they seem to have been stored in one batch under the Device Folders section). If I have autosave on, does this mean that I won't need to keep selecting them and uploading them individually then?

Finally, if I wanted to get them printed out later (from the Google Photos app), is this possible to do? There was a post on here about so many cheap photo prints available - if I go on to the photo print website, will I be able to upload the photos from my Google Photos app, or, will I have to move them back to my normal album on my phone first to do this? Any advice appreciated.

Original Poster

Sophiasky

I have now deleted some items and because I had enough room, have now … I have now deleted some items and because I had enough room, have now installed the Google Photos app. I went on to my settings and selected backup and sync. Now all of my photos and videos have been saved, I think, under the Albums option - if I click on it, it says that I have not created any albums myself, however, the photos are under autosaved.attachment and the videos under videos. However, if I just click on the main page, the photos are still there - if I click on one, it gives me the option to select it and then use cloud (haven't done this though, as they seem to have been stored in one batch under the Device Folders section). If I have autosave on, does this mean that I won't need to keep selecting them and uploading them individually then?Finally, if I wanted to get them printed out later (from the Google Photos app), is this possible to do? There was a post on here about so many cheap photo prints available - if I go on to the photo print website, will I be able to upload the photos from my Google Photos app, or, will I have to move them back to my normal album on my phone first to do this? Any advice appreciated.

The photos and videos now seem to be uploading to my computer on the Google Photos web page, so I now know that they are backing up ok. Just one final question, if I want to remove the photos from my phone now, is there a quicker way than selecting each one individually and binning it? Also, if they are deleted, they definitely will be stored still on the Google Photos app and on my computer?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator24
      2. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…55
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553760
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345

See more discussions