Saw Something Last Night - Could They Have Been Meteors?

10 replies
Found 15th Aug 2009
Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm unsure as to what I saw.

At about 9pm last night, I saw what looked like an orange flame shaped a bit like a ball in the sky. I would say it was probably coming from the south & heading northish! I ran upstairs to see it come over my house but then couldn't find it in the sky. It happened again approx a minute or so later so again I went upstairs & followed it until I couldn't see it no more. I then saw a third one which I managed to watch with a pair of binoculars but still couldn't make out what it was but it was black & orange through the binoculars.

So I saw three of these altogether, all within a couple of minutes of each other.

At the time I didn't know we were expecting meteor showers but since I've googled them, they don't seem to fit the pictures of other meteor showers.

By the way, I hadn't been drinking & I don't think for one minute they were UFOs!!

10 Comments

Don't eat cheese before bed.

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6027238

http://www.wishlantern.com/blog/2009/07/24/chinese-lanterns-or-ufos/

Seriously!?

I suppose they could have been but they were very bright. Just wish I knew cos it's bugging me. Just a shame nobody else saw them :oops:

what had you been smoking :? if thts the results i want some of it :lol:

beatrixkiddo79;6027378

Seriously!?I suppose they could have been but they were very bright. Just … Seriously!?I suppose they could have been but they were very bright. Just wish I knew cos it's bugging me. Just a shame nobody else saw them :oops:

Serious.

It's been reported several times x

My dad mentioned something to me the other day about a meteor shower, which the BBC mention ]here. Could be related.

shooting stars....had them in manchester area....?

yes its the perseides meteor shower. every year around early august the earth goes through dust cloud as it orbits around the sun. the little particles flame across the sky but are usually no bigger than a pea or braod bean.
you can still see shooting stars at other times of the years its just that ts more frequesnt as we apsss through the dust.
timesonline.co.uk/tol…ece

Original Poster

redheap;6028287

yes its the perseides meteor shower. every year around early august the … yes its the perseides meteor shower. every year around early august the earth goes through dust cloud as it orbits around the sun. the little particles flame across the sky but are usually no bigger than a pea or braod bean.you can still see shooting stars at other times of the years its just that ts more frequesnt as we apsss through the dust.http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2237936.ece

See, now reading that article, it could have been that. I would like to believe it was that. I thought they looked pretty cool & would be disappointed if it were the wish lanterns.

Guess I'll never know though unless someone else saw them. It does seem strange that it coincided with a yearly meteor shower, so I hope it was that :thumbsup:

Did you see something floating in which case it wasnt these probably chines anturns they often hang still in the sky. meteors leave an orange streak/line across the sky usually lasting less than a second. like a fireworks rocket going across the sky not upwards.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions