sawing/ cutting new railway sleepers, simple ways for general diyer

Found 27th Mar 2017
Hi people i have a fair few sleepers to cut to make fit etc, im a basic diyer so im after a saw which is the best to cut these 8x4 (easy) ie bow saw, saw but not after any chain saw if poss? I no there many of saws out atm different teeth etc. Which is best

Thanks in advance

12 Comments

I wouldn't imagine a bow saw would give a neat cut, I would try a large panel saw, but I have never tried it either so could be completely wrong!

Good luck!

You could use any circular saw that has a minimum 2" cutting depth and saw the from both sides. Clamp a straight edge across the timber and running the saw frame against the straight edge will give you a nice square cut.

I know it is what you wanted but I have laid hundreds of metres of sleepers and a chainsaw is the way to get the best results. If you are worried about safety, get a decent mains electric with a 16 inch bar.

screwfix.com/p/t…CPg

Original Poster

getmeone

I know it is what you wanted but I have laid hundreds of metres of … I know it is what you wanted but I have laid hundreds of metres of sleepers and a chainsaw is the way to get the best results. If you are worried about safety, get a decent mains electric with a 16 inch bar.http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb355chn-40-5cm-2000w-electric-chainsaw-230v/92771?kpid=92771&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CMaA8eOX99ICFcEp0wodGfIAag&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKWkiuSX99ICFSmK7QodDH0CPg#product_additional_details_container

I have one just dont trust them and to do alot of them

I would probably use my chain saw as well but the circular saw is another option. I work for a joinery company so it would be easy form to get them cut on one of the large bandsaws. You could see if there is a small joiner's shop near you if you want a perfect cut and you may find they don't charge too much.

You will be there a while but:

diy.com/dep…AhQ

Be wary with 'messing' with railway sleepers. They can be contaminated with asbestos fibres from the brake lining of trains. The worst thing you could do is saw them and possibly disturb the latent fibres. If you wish to use them, encapsulate them and leave them whole.

Original Poster

Dumbstruck

Be wary with 'messing' with railway sleepers. They can be contaminated … Be wary with 'messing' with railway sleepers. They can be contaminated with asbestos fibres from the brake lining of trains. The worst thing you could do is saw them and possibly disturb the latent fibres. If you wish to use them, encapsulate them and leave them whole.

New sleepers not old

Circular saw will be good. Draw the line both sides and cut one then the other side. Make sure its a laser one to help guide you. Can get a decent saw with blade for about 35 quid

I would suggest a 12 inch sliding mitre saw should do the trick. It should be able to cut straight through in one pass. Might be a good idea to buy a used one from ebay locally and use it then resell it once done. This way u may just be able to get it done with out any expense.

Just done this. Was recommended amazon.co.uk/Spe…U8C and was very good.

Original Poster

eagleian

Just done this. Was recommended … Just done this. Was recommended https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Predator-B9822-Universal/dp/B001E19U8C and was very good.

Does this give a smooth edge
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions