say no to 0870 numbers

Found 16th Feb 2008
saynoto0870.com

this site gives the regional and frephone numbers to most of the megapriced phone numbers
hope this helps ALL THAT DONT KNOW ALREADY ABOUT THIS SITE!!!!!!!

and for all who already do good for you i dont need moaning at because you do

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
25 Comments

to most of the megapriced phone numbers

What do you class as "Mega-priced". :?

0870 is a national rate call, which if you're not in the local vicinity of the place would cost the same as dialling the landline anyways...

Should really be a say no to 090 rather than 0870 (unless using mobile free minutes).

Also, should add, take the numbers with a pinch of salt. I've checked the company I am currently with and they have the incorrect number.

Original Poster

my god why does everone feel the need for knocking someone when all they are trying to do is help make things a little cheaper
0870 and similar numbers are expensive but most of these companys who have them also have regional numbers and all this site does is supply them the numbers are submitted by members of the public
and browni im sorry your number is wrong maybe you should be kind enough to put the correct one onn there
it seems to me this site is full of whingers ..........

So, in essence you post on here and only require people fawning over you, without putting over an alternative viewpoint? :?

What do you class as "Mega-priced".

0870 and similar numbers are expensive

So 5p a minute is mega-priced. :w00t:

Banned

thesaint;1589009

So, in essence you post on here and only require people fawning over you, … So, in essence you post on here and only require people fawning over you, without putting over an alternative viewpoint? :?:

But was it an alternative viewpoint or irrelivant piffle. He's made it clear many people will know of the site (and that clearly includes you), so why knock him for it? Or should he only post things *you* are interested in?

Yup, it was the latter!

BTW - 0870 or 0871 are not 5pmp during peak times. And even if they were, most people like to call geographic numbers because (a) they can do so free from inclusive mobile minutes or (b) can do so free from their home phone.

But if you prefer to pay, then thats up to you.

I always use this, as places that have generic numbers for one place then put you through to the store you want is annoying, so i search that number and find the direct store number.

It is a good money saver!

So 5p a minute is mega-priced.

I can be when you are kept on hold for a long time.

thanks for the info Tarby25 i appreciate it rep added

Banned

thesaint;1589009

So, in essence you post on here and only require people fawning over you, … So, in essence you post on here and only require people fawning over you, without putting over an alternative viewpoint? :?oooh you help people with 0870 and you get flamed ... interesting concept So 5p a minute is mega-priced. :w00t:

guv;1589247

But was it an alternative viewpoint or irrelivant piffle. He's made it … But was it an alternative viewpoint or irrelivant piffle. He's made it clear many people will know of the site (and that clearly includes you), so why knock him for it? Or should he only post things *you* are interested in?

Don't get too upset. 'Irrelevant piffle'? Hardly, If mega-priced was Premium rate numbers fair enough, but we are talking pennies in this case.

The OP also mentioned nothing of inclusive minutes from mobiles, this is more of interest to more people.

guv;1589247

so why knock him for it?

I did not knock anyone, I asked a question that went unanswered.

guv;1589247

? Or should he only post things *you* are interested in?

Had a bad day?

thesaint;1589009

We are not talking pennies here, these calls invariably go to routing sytems where you are charged from the moment the call is made yet may not get to speak to someone for twenty odd minutes.

Many people now don't have a fixed landline so are reliant on making such calls from mobiles.

Costs from a ]BT landline are actually 7.91p per minute (so a one hour call will cost almost £5.00)

From mobiles, its 20p-25p per minute on ]O2, upto 25p per minute on ]Voda (0871) and probably similar rates on other networks, so a one hour call might cost £15 upwards. This is serious money, especially to many of those who are likely to find this site a benefit. Stop being so arrogant :roll:.

jah128;1589545

This is serious money, especially to many of those who are likely to … This is serious money, especially to many of those who are likely to find this site a benefit. Stop being so arrogant :roll:.

I have said 2 or 3 sentences, none were 'Arrogant' or 'Flaming'.
You have seen my name and decided on your response without even reading and understanding what I have said.

Those with a problem with what I have said, ask yourself this:

"If edi had said the same thing as thesaint, would my response have been the same"?

Again, you mention mobiles, the OP made no mention of this, or the costs involved.

The OP was simply pointing out to people that saynoto0870 exists, you stated "So 5p a minute is mega-priced" and "but we are talking pennies in this case" but the fact is the site can potentially save people a significant amount of money, particularly if they have don't have a landline. I was pointing out the actual tariffs people are likely to pay dialing 0870 and 0871 numbers in the daytime, and 25p a minute is mega-priced if its the type of call where you don't get to speak to someone for ages, repeatedly get cut-off etc etc and you have limited money as many of the readers on this site do.

By suggesting "its only a few pennies" you make it sound like the potential saving is insignificant and that in my opinion comes across as arrogant. I don't mention 'flaming' and I don't think the comparison with other members is fair as I don't think they would be likely to make such statements.

I would have to take your word for your facts and figures, as they are uncorroborated.

By the same token, saving a penny on each can of beans is good to "someone" who buys them by the car-load, but not for most people who buy half a dozen at a time.

I don't spend hours on 0870 numbers, or know anyone that does. I use sayno... myself, and it has it's uses.
I simply asked a simple question that I think someone who hasn't heard about it should know before using it, as it could cost them more than the method they currently use.

I don't think the comparison with other members is fair as I don't think … I don't think the comparison with other members is fair as I don't think they would be likely to make such statements.

"Such statements"? What statement did I make that has unleashed this hostility, from at least 3 people on this thread?

Original Poster

anyway apart from the people who are obviously not interested in saving a little bit of money

i find using saynoto0870 very useful and money saving

thankyou to most for the support and no thankyou to the others

have a nice day now and go and calm your blood pressures i only meant to help

I did give give links to the relevant pricing information in my post if you would like to review it. The statements I am talking about are clear in the first sentence in that post. I can't speak about anyone else, my point was and still is to make those statements to me sound arrogant, as you underexaggerate the potential costs/savings and imply the savings are insignificant, which to me sounds like you don't really think the odd little saving here or there is worth bothering about, whereas for many people its essential to do as much as they can just to get by. Not being hostile, just think you are being a bit blunt and unfair.

You might not spend hours calling 0870 numbers but many people do spend a significant amount on them, which in a lot of cases could be reduced where cheaper alternatives are available. For those forced to dial 0870 numbers on a mobile the savings can be huge if they can use their free minutes - I'm sure a lot of members on this site have had a nasty shock when they have got a much larger phone bill than normal due to a expensive 0870 call that was unavoidable.

Lets leave that there anyway, I'm just repeating myself. Sorry if you feel there is any hostility in what I've said, there isn't, just remember this is meant to be a helpful, friendly and constructive site so rather than saying "well your only saving a couple of pennies... :-(" its better to say "well, in some cases you might not save much but if your a mobile user with minutes... "

Tarby25;1588951

my god why does everone feel the need for knocking someone when all they … my god why does everone feel the need for knocking someone when all they are trying to do is help make things a little cheaper0870 and similar numbers are expensive but most of these companys who have them also have regional numbers and all this site does is supply them the numbers are submitted by members of the publicand browni im sorry your number is wrong maybe you should be kind enough to put the correct one onn there it seems to me this site is full of whingers ..........

I didn't knock you, I simply added some of my input into the 0870 issue.

If you can't handle that other people have different opinions, reading a public forum might not be something you'd take up as an interest.

And I'm not about to correct the number for a site I'm not overly interested in.

Banned

thesaint;1589479

Don't get too upset. 'Irrelevant piffle'? Hardly, If mega-priced was … Don't get too upset. 'Irrelevant piffle'? Hardly, If mega-priced was Premium rate numbers fair enough, but we are talking pennies in this case.The OP also mentioned nothing of inclusive minutes from mobiles, this is more of interest to more people.I did not knock anyone, I asked a question that went unanswered.Had a bad day?

Grow up.

Thank you for this~I didn't know that there was an alternative~must be walking around with my eyes closed!!

Its certainly saved me money over the years. SOME numbers are wrong but lots are very useful for anyone wishing to save money. Good post for anyone that didn't know of the site.:thumbsup:

I been using saynoto0870 for a while now,as I'm on BT talk I get free landline calls so I rather dial a landline # than dial 0845/0870 etc,it comes in useful and I use the site least once a week. Specially as you get the companies who have these premium phone lines and you get put on hold for half hour before even speaking to anyone.
Even if something only 5p a minute,you add a few calls at that much that take hf hr,then have a few of them over your quartely bill it can soon mount up. I try and save what I can,I moaned at my partner other wk for not using Quidco for a £4 spend at Play.com which worked out about 16p I think lol.

I find this website very useful.

I am on O2 and after they took away the free 0845, etc calls, they now charge me 20p per minute. May not sound a lot but the calls certainly add up at the end of the month.

I don't think I have ever come across a company that I didn't find a working alternative number for, and British Gas and Elephant have been very useful to me.

I think it's good that this website gets brought up now and again - it was already old news when I discovered it.

Not only is cost the advantage of using saynoto0870 but also the fact for companies like Comet, you can obtain the local store number, rather than going through a call centre... much better for gaining stock availability.

Did you know if you call the Comet call centre for stock availablity, if their system shows a quantity of 1 - 3 then they will tell you it's out of stock!
Use saynoto0870 and phone the store direct and they will give you the true stock figure.

Original Poster

well im glad some people find the advice helpful

I love using that site, purely for the fact that if I'm dialing a national number, I'm actually getting to talk to people in call centres in the UK that can understand what I'm calling about. I normally find that by using the 0845 or whatever a company gives you, it goes through to the foreign call centres and the call takes me 3 times as long because of the language barrier.

That in itself, for me, is worth using the site as often as possible

have used this website many times - I don't have free landline calls in my Virgin package (except weekends), so I use the site and then use my included moby minutes or Skype.
Post a comment
@
    Text