Expired

Saying "money and fair words" - anyone know the meaning of this?

Found 9th Jan 2012
Just wondering if any of you if heard this before? I said it earlier and no body had heard it?

Is it a northern thing?
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
Think its about getting something cheap because you complimented the seller - only heard around Brum/Wolves people though, may be a midlands/northern thing? Never heard it from anyone down south...
Edited by: "deviouspaul" 9th Jan 2012
Original Poster
Scotty Boy

Money and fair words. (When we asked the price of anything)Open Writing: … Money and fair words. (When we asked the price of anything)Open Writing: Mother's Words

That's the one mate, my girlfriend asked how much something was and I replied money and fair words haha
I've never heard the saying before, must be a northern thing.
deviouspaul

Think its about getting something cheap because you complimented the … Think its about getting something cheap because you complimented the seller - only heard around Brum/Wolves people though, may be a midlands/northern thing? Never heard it from anyone down south...

Not East Midlands.
its about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing
My Mum says it all the time, we live in Lancashire!
I've heard it a lot round where I live in South Staffordshire/West Midlands border. It's just a way of not telling somebody how much something cost. As in, it cost 'money and fair words' x amount of money and politeness (please and thank you).
Original Poster
si1234

My Mum says it all the time, we live in Lancashire!

We're in Lancashire too my dads mate from jersey and his other mate from london have never heard it before
My Great Grandmother was from northern England. This was one of her sayings and we still say it four generations later in Kansas. It's just what you say when someone asks how much something costs and it is none of their business. I believe it has passed through our generations because the kids always wanted to know and the parents never wanted to tell them. I used it just this morning with my boys after we signed a contract to sell our house.
Not heard this in the West Midlands.
Gotta love misc
SCKS

My Great Grandmother was from northern England. This was one of her … My Great Grandmother was from northern England. This was one of her sayings and we still say it four generations later in Kansas. It's just what you say when someone asks how much something costs and it is none of their business. I believe it has passed through our generations because the kids always wanted to know and the parents never wanted to tell them. I used it just this morning with my boys after we signed a contract to sell our house.

You're not in Kansas anymore.
I'm in Lancashire and never heard it before lol
My mum and dad always used to say it to my sister and I, when we asked the price of things and they didn,t want to say. This would be 40 years ago. Dad's from London and Mum's from Worcester area.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants