Groups
    EXPIRED

scam?

I am selling my MacBook Pro on Gumtree. The person text me to asking the price and if I could email them. I told them the price via email and this was their response

Thanks for your response, am getting it for my Son in Manchester, i want it to be a surprise gift, the price is fine but am going to include £30 for postage via Royal mail next day special delivery, also i will be paying with PayPal because its save and reliable, fast and secure, you will get your money with few min after i made the payment, Please get back to me with your PayPal email address so that i can make the payment now.
    Regards.

Does it sound dodgy?!

25 Comments

Sounds a bit too good to be true, especially when money can be retracted from PayPal.

Very.

If it's not cash in person, you're taking a big risk.

Scam, never email anyone on gumtree. For such an expensive item accept cash on collection and meet in a bank. Delete the email and move on. It will be a scam email confirming money has arrived or a hacked PayPal account. Save your time and money

Sounds odd to me, they don't even want to see it. I would wait for cash in person.

Firstly sounds suspicious... Push towards bank transfer perhaps? ... Or PayPal but for goods not a GIFT

sure I've heard of this before.. You get a fake email confirming a payment and they hope you don't check your PayPal balance.

You will get a fake email claiming to be from PayPal saying the buyer has paid please ship the item and you will receive the funds when you provide proof of postage.

Common scam on gumtree

SCAM!

Yep, sounds dodgy. Even if the address he gives you is a "confirmed" one (which is unlikely as it is not his own address), there are a number of ways that you might still be parted from your goods and money. He may swap the contents for a non working computer, he may claim the parcel was empty on arrival etc.
    His willingness to pay the asking price and then offer a generous amount for shipping automatically sends up a red flag for me. The advantage of Gumtree is that you generally have cash on collection deals thus safeguarding you the seller from scumbag scam artists who abuse PayPal's [over]generous buyer protection. If he is not willing to pay cash on collection or by bank transfer then don't walk away, run.

Yes dodgy don't do it, they will most probably open a case with PayPal at a later date, get a refund and have a nice free macbook, cash on collection only.

scam 100%

Original Poster

Thanks guys! I appreciate it

Banned

scam ! happened to me when selling my sofa on Gumtree happened 3 times a day started to get annoying.

Tell them to pay buy gift then they not covered see what they say

Agreed dont even contemplate it its 100% scam mate

100% scam, they may even pay but they will claim it back.

Definitely a scam!
    I had the same type of message from someone on eBay.
    Then received a email claiming to be from PayPal saying my money was being held until I provided proof of postage.
    Checked PayPal account which showed nothing pending so sent the email to PayPal who confirmed it was a scam.

Banned

PDCottrell

Definitely a scam!I had the same type of message from someone on … Definitely a scam!I had the same type of message from someone on eBay.Then received a email claiming to be from PayPal saying my money was being held until I provided proof of postage.Checked PayPal account which showed nothing pending so sent the email to PayPal who confirmed it was a scam.

​same with me they also said they have paid extra to cover delivery and I'd need to pay it via money gram or something. chancers.

If you must sell with Gumtree then Cash on collection is the only way to go...

why not ask for bank transfer?

they will have a stole credit card and do a paypal charge back

SCAM!!!!!!!!

Banned

i once got a message too asking me to email them. i never did, because they never messaged through gumtree but used my mobile number.
    what's wrong with them asking me on the text message or gumtree message. !

daza92

​same with me they also said they have paid extra to cover delivery and I … ​same with me they also said they have paid extra to cover delivery and I'd need to pay it via money gram or something. chancers.

​Yeah they did that to me, offered i think it was an extra £100 to send it abroad (can't remember where exactly).
    Thing that amused me was the same person tried it again on a different item.

I just said "Really!? You already tried that once and i didn't fall for it so what makes you think i will now you idiot". X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions