Scam on ebay

Posted 14th Sep
I was new on eBay. Won an auction, seller asked to pay via bank transfer and never received my item. No user is not longer registered. Now I am reading that it is common scam scheme... Is there any way to get the money back? Through bank or eBay?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will do nothing as you have dealt out of eBay, and your bank won’t do anything as bank transfers are Irreversible,learn a very expensive lesson and move on sorry pal
Edited by: "the.porter" 14th Sep
_Tris_14/09/2019 17:47

Your wrong pal ebay have refunded me in the past for fraudulent sellers

Not for paying by bank transfer they haven’t
People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible regardless of what you think. Yes a bank may do something in the instance of fraud, however in this instance they will not. Who is to say the OP did actually receive the item and is claiming they didn’t to the bank? The bank have no way of knowing if the item was received or not. A bank transfer has no protection on purchases, hence why it’s not a standard payment method. The police can be notified, or action fraud however it’s still almost a zero percent chance the OP will get their money back unfortunately.
63 Comments
Contact your bank possibly they can block transaction, best to use PayPal for online purchases , also contact ebay they might refund you
Edited by: "_Tris_" 14th Sep
As above contact your back, but I fear they won’t be able to help as it was payment that you instructed and authorised.
Making payment without going through ebay and not using PayPal loses any protection they may have given you unfortunately.
You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will do nothing as you have dealt out of eBay, and your bank won’t do anything as bank transfers are Irreversible,learn a very expensive lesson and move on sorry pal
Edited by: "the.porter" 14th Sep
Talk to your bank. They may be able to help. But do it quickly.
the.porter14/09/2019 17:44

You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will d …You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will do nothing as you have dealt out of eBay, and your bank won’t do anything as bank transfers are Irreversible,learn a very expensive lesson and move on sorry pal

_Tris_14/09/2019 17:47

the.porter14/09/2019 17:48

No i didn't but im not sure on ebays policy when it comes to bank transfers best to talk to ebay though , but talking to his bank is his best bet
Edited by: "_Tris_" 14th Sep

You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will d …You don’t have a cat in hells chance of getting anything back, eBay will do nothing as you have dealt out of eBay, and your bank won’t do anything as bank transfers are Irreversible,learn a very expensive lesson and move on sorry pal

This isn't quite the case. Something like this has happened to someone I know, and the bank did help, they got their money back. The bank isn't obliged to help in this sort of situation, but they can. Not sure about eBay though.
Edited by: "ra786" 14th Sep
In future only use PayPal payment
Bank might do a charge back, they did for me once.
Surely if you Bank transferred it you will have all the account details!
It's fraud and your Bank should have you covered but that depends on your Bank and also who you talk too
deleted1410297
Banks can reverse the transfer, contrary to popular belief.
I was under the impression that everyone selling on Ebay HAD to offer PayPal as an option, it's the only safe method of payment on there. Unfortunately you are unlikely to get your money back, but you may like to consider reporting them to ActionFraud as you have their bank details etc. They may have done it before, and it therefore may be something the police would look into if they've got form. All the best!

If this example is deemed to be push fraud (highly likely) then OP may be reimbursed by bank under APP Code of Practice introduced May 2019.
@Gregor_Sakizci contact your bank and state the phrase "I wish to initiate claim under APP fraud Code of Practice".
AndyRoyd14/09/2019 19:27

If this example is deemed to be push fraud (highly likely) then OP may be …If this example is deemed to be push fraud (highly likely) then OP may be reimbursed by bank under APP Code of Practice introduced May 2019.

Is this covered under that practice? I thought that was for fraud where a scammer impersonates a real company/person.
jamie1514/09/2019 19:32

Is this covered under that practice? I thought that was for fraud where a …Is this covered under that practice? I thought that was for fraud where a scammer impersonates a real company/person.

Not read the CoP recently but in the widest interpretation the scammer impersonated a legitimate seller. No suggestion an APP claim is guaranteed to suceed, but initiating a claim requires the bank to acknowledge and, if appropriate, provide reason why a claim would not be successful. OP has nothing to lose but their time.
People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible regardless of what you think. Yes a bank may do something in the instance of fraud, however in this instance they will not. Who is to say the OP did actually receive the item and is claiming they didn’t to the bank? The bank have no way of knowing if the item was received or not. A bank transfer has no protection on purchases, hence why it’s not a standard payment method. The police can be notified, or action fraud however it’s still almost a zero percent chance the OP will get their money back unfortunately.
JohnnyRoller14/09/2019 19:42

People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible …People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible regardless of what you think. Yes a bank may do something in the instance of fraud, however in this instance they will not. Who is to say the OP did actually receive the item and is claiming they didn’t to the bank? The bank have no way of knowing if the item was received or not. A bank transfer has no protection on purchases, hence why it’s not a standard payment method. The police can be notified, or action fraud however it’s still almost a zero percent chance the OP will get their money back unfortunately.

I agree. I have been scammed by BT before (a risk I was willing to take) and just left it as no point.
Edited by: "jamie15" 14th Sep
jamie1514/09/2019 19:48

I agree. I have been scammed by BT before (a risk I was willing to take) …I agree. I have been scammed by BT before (a risk I was willing to take) and just left it as no point.

I initially read BT at British Telecom; then realised I was right.
Fool and their money
I bet we never see the op again
deleted1410297
JohnnyRoller14/09/2019 19:42

People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible …People in here are talking rubbish, a bank transfer is irreversible regardless of what you think. Yes a bank may do something in the instance of fraud, however in this instance they will not. Who is to say the OP did actually receive the item and is claiming they didn’t to the bank? The bank have no way of knowing if the item was received or not. A bank transfer has no protection on purchases, hence why it’s not a standard payment method. The police can be notified, or action fraud however it’s still almost a zero percent chance the OP will get their money back unfortunately.

You have no clue. Don't ill advise. Bank might say no to OP, but they definitely can reverse it. They can make an indemnity claim against the scammers bank.
eslick14/09/2019 20:50

I bet we never see the op again

About as much chance of that as he has of seeing his money again.
deleted141029714/09/2019 21:01

You have no clue. Don't ill advise. Bank might say no to OP, but they …You have no clue. Don't ill advise. Bank might say no to OP, but they definitely can reverse it. They can make an indemnity claim against the scammers bank.

They can reverse it but take it out of the receiving bank can only be done if the other bank agrees, the other bank need permission to take the funds from the account by the actual account holder. With faster payments and immediate clearing there is little chance of them reversing the transaction fully, revering it and them charging it off at their side is more realistic.

You have no clue. Don't ill advise. Bank might say no to OP, but they …You have no clue. Don't ill advise. Bank might say no to OP, but they definitely can reverse it. They can make an indemnity claim against the scammers bank.

An indemnity claim is for Direct Debits you need to stop acting like you know about banking mate
Go to the Police. Years ago I sold on Ebay and the person paid me by bacs, due to work I couldn't post for a couple of days and the Police come around and spoke to me as the buyer said I was trying to fraud them. I showed the Police the item and they contacted the buyer who said they wanted a refund. The police gave me 24 hours to refund and no further action was taken.

I would never accept a bank transfer again. Paypal or cash on collection only for me.
markvirgo14/09/2019 22:18

...due to work I couldn't post for a couple of days...

To avoid the misunderstanding, why didn't you inform the buyer that delivery could be delayed due to work commitments? Would have taken a minute or two.
Crossbow14/09/2019 22:26

To avoid the misunderstanding, why didn't you inform the buyer that …To avoid the misunderstanding, why didn't you inform the buyer that delivery could be delayed due to work commitments? Would have taken a minute or two.

I was really busy and thought I will post that tomorrow and then the next day I thought the same time just got away with me. It wasn't an expensive item and I didn't need the money I just sold the item so somone else could make use of it. I gave the item away for free after refunding the person. My Ebay user name is mark-virgo if you are curious.
I heard the King of Westminster is selling London bridge for rock bottom price and would like payment via bank transfer...
Try doing chargeback, section 75
Look it up on internet
May help you
abdul514/09/2019 23:43

Try doing chargeback, section 75 Look it up on internet May help you

Only applies to credit card transactions, no use to OP
Sammy8614/09/2019 23:38

I heard the King of Westminster is selling London bridge for rock bottom …I heard the King of Westminster is selling London bridge for rock bottom price and would like payment via bank transfer...

Stop spreading rumours. That's clearly a scam. London Bridge was sold to the King Of Nigeria back in 2009. But he is trying get rid of it. You can contact his nephew on hotmail and send a deposit with Western Union.
Edited by: "ra786" 15th Sep
abdul514/09/2019 23:43

Try doing chargeback, section 75 Look it up on internet May help you

you can't do a chargeback on a bank transfer. I wish people knew their facts before they started spouting rubbish. If you don't understand the law, don't quote it. Maybe you should've looked it up on the internet
psychobitchfromhell15/09/2019 00:39

you can't do a chargeback on a bank transfer. I wish people knew their …you can't do a chargeback on a bank transfer. I wish people knew their facts before they started spouting rubbish. If you don't understand the law, don't quote it. Maybe you should've looked it up on the internet

Alright keep ya hair on

I would agree with @JohnnyRoller but I have only twenty odd years dealing with this stuff to call back upon.
@tinkerbellian could you adjudicate?
You can't reverse a bank transfer although you can recall it within a very limited timeframe. You can request the funds back, but the receiving bank need not comply and can only request the funds back unless in the case of criminal fraud, and I feel it is unlikely they would get involved in an eBay dispute. Indemnity refers only to direct debits.
psychobitchfromhell15/09/2019 00:39

you can't do a chargeback on a bank transfer. I wish people knew their …you can't do a chargeback on a bank transfer. I wish people knew their facts before they started spouting rubbish. If you don't understand the law, don't quote it. Maybe you should've looked it up on the internet

People give advise when they are guessing it drives me nuts
snoopy1815/09/2019 00:51

People give advise when they are guessing it drives me nuts

me too. I've done this job for more years than many people here have been alive. If you don't know what section 75 is, then just shut up.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 15th Sep
psychobitchfromhell15/09/2019 00:53

me too. I've done this job for more years than many people here have been …me too. I've done this job for more years than many people here have been alive. If you don't know what section 75 is, don't just shut up.

Seems a pattern latey where people haven’t a clue but still answer
Edited by: "snoopy18" 15th Sep
abdul515/09/2019 00:40

Alright keep ya hair on

Don't talk rubbish then. My hair is firmly on my head. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say anything. Section 75 does not apply to bank transfers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants