SCAM VirginMedia emails!

Found 3rd May
Received a scam/phishing email saying last payment failed to process; asking to update payment details.

Fairly obvious that somebody wants bank details, but some peeps may be conned - please, no comments about 'their own stupidity' - their are peeps who just aren't tech-savvy (could be elderly parents/grandparents or persons whose situation renders them vulnerable to this type of thing).

I called VirginMedia who confirmed the genuine looking email was in fact a scam and requested it forwarded to phishing@virginmedia.com.
They informed me they've recently had many calls in regard to this threat and are working hard to sort it.

Personally, I'm surprised it got through my walls and walls of security; it may be time to move over to Thunderbird or check out something like protonmail.

Anywho, just a heads-up for peeps, look out for it, it looks like the real thing - always be wary of anything re 'payments'.

Anybody else had this one?
Community Updates
Misc
10 Comments
I was so scared my services would get cut off, I provided my details immediately.
I'm glad I did, as my internet and TV are still on and they never cut me off.
Thanks for the heads up tryn2hlp. If it helps 1 person, it is worth posting. Companies should do more.
Chiptivo33 m ago

I was so scared my services would get cut off, I provided my details …I was so scared my services would get cut off, I provided my details immediately. I'm glad I did, as my internet and TV are still on and they never cut me off.

Good for you, Chiptivo, good for you.

Seriously, though, some of my friends are a bit older and they really want to try the internet - and they're being encouraged by their family/friends/services etc - but this is the sort of thing that frightens them from trying.

One of my best friends is close to 100 years old and he suffers terribly from loneliness. If we can convince him to go on the net he could talk with his friends all over the world - it might give him a new lease of life - but he's a very trusting soul, especially with anything that looks like it's from the authorities.
Scam xxxxx emails. The threads will never end; there are simply too many phishing examples. It's a difficult concept to tackle and / or priortise via a deal forum discussion platform. A general "be aware" reminder at cyclic intervals may be the only practical assistance before over-frequent similar threads dilute the message impact. That or email authentication by the receiving ISP - but imagine the outcry at the concept of ISPs screening your mail...
I received this:
Hi, Virgin Media here! We've been trying to contact you about some changes on your account. Pls txt back the best time & date to call you! e.g. Tuesday 1st morning

I phoned virgin and they are going to investigate it.
They toke all my PayPals
Wongy1103rd May

They toke all my PayPals

What were you toking at the time?

BillySollox4 m ago

What were you toking at the time?

Nofing they toke thev all !
Them maybe?
LawrenceHunter3rd May

I received this:Hi, Virgin Media here! We've been trying to contact you …I received this:Hi, Virgin Media here! We've been trying to contact you about some changes on your account. Pls txt back the best time & date to call you! e.g. Tuesday 1st morningI phoned virgin and they are going to investigate it.

I get genuine calls from VM. But they are pretty clueless on security. Here is the conversation:

VM: Hi There! We would like to thank you for being a valued customer !
Me: ....
VM: We have a special deal for you, since you are a valued customer !
Me: ...
VM: Great! Lets get started !
Me: <wondering how long in marshmallows to cook an osprey...>
VM: Before we begin, we need you to answer some security questions
Me: Why?
VM: Dont worry sir! This is perfectly normal! If you can just give me your date of birth?
Me: No
VM: Sorry, I didnt catch that. Can you give me your DOB?
Me: No
VM: I'm afraid I cant give you the deal, without that information!
Me: Well, you called me. So, why dont you give me *your* date of birth?
VM: Sorry sir, I cannot do that!
Me: This is a boring game

Happens every few months. It *is* VM. Generally VM security is good. But the group that thinks this is an appropriate way to conduct business seem a little "lacking".
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants