Scammed by website claiming to be HMRC...

Found 3rd Sep 2015
My daughter wanted to call HMRC this morning but when googling the number got what she thought was the number from a website "contact-call.info" .
She was on the phone for 10 minutes & gave them her NI number & other details.
I only realised what had happened when talktalk sent me an email saying my monthly allowance had been used up on a £30 call this morning!
The website does say calls are charged at £3.60 a minute so I know I can't claim that back but I'm worried about what they'll do with her details...
Community Updates
MiscWeb Hosting
7 Comments
Whats the link to the HMRC number post on contact-call.info?

The governments site is surprisingly very easy to use and navigate through, I would only go on gov.uk and search for numbers etc these days

At a quick glimpse it looks like they just connect you through their rip off number to the legit HMRC.

Calls cost £2 per minute with a minimum charge of £2 plus your phone c … Calls cost £2 per minute with a minimum charge of £2 plus your phone company’s access charge.Advice Center is not affiliated with these organisations but can connect you to them. A direct number may be available on their website for free by clicking here. Callers must be 18+ with bill payers permission. Service Provider A2B Telecom Ltd, helpline 01163870138

Edited by: "Jamie724" 3rd Sep 2015
Jamie724

At a quick glimpse it looks like they just connect you through their rip … At a quick glimpse it looks like they just connect you through their rip off number to the legit HMRC.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping...
kiish

Whats the link to the HMRC number post on contact-call.info?The … Whats the link to the HMRC number post on contact-call.info?The governments site is surprisingly very easy to use and navigate through, I would only go on https://www.gov.uk and search for numbers etc these days

contact-call.info/hmrc/
Yep. Most people would go to the .gov link but she was in a rage about getting charged emergency tax & dialled the first number that came up!
g1bbuk

http://contact-call.info/hmrc/Yep. Most people would go to the .gov link … http://contact-call.info/hmrc/Yep. Most people would go to the .gov link but she was in a rage about getting charged emergency tax & dialled the first number that came up!

Might be worth stopping it happening again. I hate scum companies like this convincing themselves and others that they are providing a service when in reality they are preying on people's trust/mis-understanding etc.
Lyrrad

Might be worth stopping it happening again. I hate scum companies like … Might be worth stopping it happening again. I hate scum companies like this convincing themselves and others that they are providing a service when in reality they are preying on people's trust/mis-understanding etc.

You spell stupidity incorrectly...
Lyrrad

Might be worth stopping it happening again. I hate scum companies like … Might be worth stopping it happening again. I hate scum companies like this convincing themselves and others that they are providing a service when in reality they are preying on people's trust/mis-understanding etc.

It will never stop. Search providers are at fault as clearly it shouldn't be the first number that pops up. See what happens if you try to find Google's non business /customer service contact phone number through Google.. Hint: scam number
Edited by: "delusion" 4th Sep 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants