Scammed iPhone empty box

Edited by:"0161_0161"Found 8th Jan
Hi. So I bought an IPhone off a guy, around 3 months ago. Well I didn't check the phone as it was brand new iPhone 7. paid around £400. I come home and its a empty box.

The thing is, I have his phone number. I found his instagram. Followed him. Got his pic. He says ' he'll pay'. Now he refuses to. Is there anything I can do?

It was a gumtree Ad.

Thanks.

Right, I didn't explain it quite well. So I saw a gumtree Ad for an IPhone 7. It was brand new and sealed. Felt the correct weight. Got home, opened it. It had a broken phone back and some stone in the box.

So I aadded his phone number to my contacts, found his instagram, followed him. found how his picture. Told him, if you don't pay back. I'll go police.

He said he'll pay within 3 months as he told me he spent the money.

But now he hasn't. The police didn't do much
tbh

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

0161_01613 m ago

No, I opened it once I got home. He said he'd pay within 3 months as he …No, I opened it once I got home. He said he'd pay within 3 months as he didn't have the money. so I was like alright.

How didn't he have the money if you had just paid him ?

You've got 2 choices.

1. Police
2. Baseball bat.
33 Comments

To clarify, you bought it 3 months ago and have only just opened it?

Original Poster

INDUSTRYHATER6 m ago

To clarify, you bought it 3 months ago and have only just opened it?

No, I opened it once I got home. He said he'd pay within 3 months as he didn't have the money. so I was like alright.

Bought from where? Here?

0161_01613 m ago

No, I opened it once I got home. He said he'd pay within 3 months as he …No, I opened it once I got home. He said he'd pay within 3 months as he didn't have the money. so I was like alright.

How didn't he have the money if you had just paid him ?

You've got 2 choices.

1. Police
2. Baseball bat.

This makes no sense, give me an iPhone 7 if your don't want it

0161_016117 m ago

Screams of scam from the moment he said he couldn’t pay. Why would you believe him?

Give me £50 and I'll sort this out for you.

Screams of scam as soon as you mentioned Gumtree!

Given the price of Apple products, isn't £400 the going rate for a box only?

Seriously.... why on earth would you not go straight to the police?

You had my sympathy up to the point you accept his 'I haven't got any money' excuse. From there on I think you deserve everything you got. He had your money, you obviously found out on the same day. Mug!!

This was just awful on you’re part? I would of checked the box there and then? unless he posted this? and you sent him funds via PayPal. Gotta watch out with gumtree to many scumbags

0161_01611 h, 22 m ago

Wake up and smell the coffee.

If someone gives you a box that doesn't contain a phone that you paid for, do you honestly think he/she is the kind of person that's now going to pay you back the money they scammed from you.

It reminds me of a time when my son was asked by some online thief to show him some CSGo sought after item he had unboxed by sending it to him. He was devastated that he had been so naive. He was 11 at the time.

Put it down to experience and move on.

As you have his details and so on and a durable medium recorded of the advert and so on - there is a case of theft/fraud/ intention to defraud and all sorts of crimes here.

You aren't the first and wont be the last to get stung by this. Imagine if this story was written about an 85 year old lady that was hoping to ... ... the responses would be totally different.

Dial 101 and speak to them - or go to your local police station and report it as theft. They have a duty to investigate it. The fact that you can give them as much detail as you have is even better.

Short of that - then if you cant get ... .. .. Get even..... Get somebody that is ... Well PM me! LOL!

Sorry to hear. Exactly why I don’t bother selling stuff on used sites like this. Don’t want potential thieves scouting out my house as they come round with a view to scam me just to get back a few quid. If it’s not worth much I just give to charity or in the case of phones sell somewhere well known like Envirofone.

I’m guessing your from Manchester like me as your code is 0161

I’m free tmoz let’s go to his house , all’s I want is a cut of the money we get back

Gum tree? Isn't that scammers paradise lol personnally I've never used that site and wouldn't recommend, If so no money should leave you in till the product is in your hand 🤔
Edited by: "Splice" 9th Jan

Joined 8 Jan.

Yeah. I believe you

Didn't you notice the box was empty due to the lack of weight when you had it in your hands?

You need to report the guy to the police and hope for the best.

Was the phone real? Is this story real? I’m I real?
Edited by: "SerpentSuicide" 9th Jan

Someone desperate for attention.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 9th Jan

Lol, why would you buy something without checking, why would you hand over the money without checking, you'll get nothing back and harsh but take it as a life lesson.
Don't be so stupid and D. T.A.
If it's too good to be true....... 😜

Original Poster

RiverDragon83 h, 8 m ago

Someone desperate for attention.

?? it's real? it was a sealed box.

Original Poster

benrobertsno11 h, 15 m ago

Lol, why would you buy something without checking, why would you hand over …Lol, why would you buy something without checking, why would you hand over the money without checking, you'll get nothing back and harsh but take it as a life lesson.Don't be so stupid and D. T.A.If it's too good to be true....... 😜

it was a sealed box
Edited by: "0161_0161" 9th Jan

0161_01611 h, 31 m ago

it was a sealed box

Even still m8, I doubt you would accept an envelope sealed with 400 cash without checking inside so why wouldn't you open the box in front of him.
I get that you maybe thought you'd got a deal but if nothing else learn from this and check the goods before you hand anything over.

Original Poster

So really there's not much i can do

0161_016110 m ago

What did the police say?

0161_016114 m ago

Why can't you remember exactly how much you paid for it?

You say 'around £400', I'd remember how much it was.

You collected it from his house I presume?

Original Poster

andynicol50 m ago

Why can't you remember exactly how much you paid for it?You say 'around …Why can't you remember exactly how much you paid for it?You say 'around £400', I'd remember how much it was.You collected it from his house I presume?

Stratford station. If it was his house I'd do a small claims court.

Original Poster

tregs55 m ago

What did the police say?

They gave me some card, and said they'll investigate.

0161_016136 m ago

They gave me some card, and said they'll investigate.

After 3 months, what did they actually say to you?

And what was their investigation result?
Edited by: "tregs" 9th Jan

Original Poster

tregs33 m ago

After 3 months, what did they actually say to you?And what was their …After 3 months, what did they actually say to you?And what was their investigation result?

Nothing. They said they'll contact me if they get any more information. I doubt that tbh
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants