Groups

scared of the dark!

Ok so my 2 year old (almost 3) has developed a fear of the dark! Proper fear! Throws up etc and takes ages to settle her! She cries and begs to come out of her cot. I'm doing everything I think I should be doing but seems to be getting worse any mums who have been through this and can offer any help or advice please please help!!! She has no plug sockets in her room so no lamps.. I've tried leaving on the hall light and her door open which can sometimes help but not always.
    Please respond with anything u think may help

59 Comments

Can you not get any lamps etc that run by batteries

Original Poster

archer1204

Can you not get any lamps etc that run by batteries

I can get sensor ones which won't do the job or cheapy ones which don't give out much light at all. If you know of one which u can recommend please do!

Dimmer switch ?

Star ceiling projector lights...?

Have you tried talking to her about what she is scared of? Reassuring her that dark isn't unsafe - maybe getting black out curtains and playing in the room together during the day...?
    Edited by: "Mermoo" 29th Oct 2016

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Dimmer switch ?

Ooooh never thought of that.. are they expensive to replace my existing regular light?

Original Poster

Mermoo

Star ceiling projector lights...?

I think she's be scared

psychobitchfromhell

Dimmer switch ?

That's a great idea and relatively cheap

Original Poster

archer1204

That's a great idea and relatively cheap

How much we talking? I'm assuming I'd have to bring a professional in?

blobbythin

Ooooh never thought of that.. are they expensive to replace my existing … Ooooh never thought of that.. are they expensive to replace my existing regular light?

No , just a few quid . Easy job to replace too . Then you can gradually coax her out of her fear . All kids go through phases of this sort of thing . Best way I've found to deal with it is not to make a big deal of it

blobbythin

I think she's be scared

You could try it out with her in the daytime and let her turn it on before bed...

blobbythin

How much we talking? I'm assuming I'd have to bring a professional in?

Easy diy job . Only take about ten minutes

Original Poster

I've had it before with my other child but he was older and could reason with him! She's so little and so afraid it's heartbreaking.. but def gonna look into a dimmer switch!

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Easy diy job . Only take about ten minutes

Really? I'm a woman!

blobbythin

Really? I'm a woman!

Buy dimmer switch
    Turn off electric at fuse box
    Unscrew existing light switch.
    Remove wires from back of switch noting where they were attached (Live, Neutral, Earth etc)
    Connect said wires to new dimmer switch.
    Screw dimmer switch back in place.
    Turn electric back on.
    And you're done.
    Edited by: "TPGone" 29th Oct 2016

blobbythin

Really? I'm a woman!

So am I ! It really is easy . Just make sure you turn the leccy off before you start and you use a dimmable bulb .

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

So am I ! It really is easy . Just make sure you turn the leccy off … So am I ! It really is easy . Just make sure you turn the leccy off before you start and you use a dimmable bulb .

Gosh your tempting me! Hubby might kill me :)))

my boy is 8 & he's still afraid of the dark,he has the ceiling light on,the landing light on & every night either me or my husband have to get into bed & wait till he falls asleep ,I've tried reassuring him,told him that nothing will "get him " but it makes no difference ,so I have resigned myself to the fact that this is how it's going to be until he grows out of it or starts believing that nothing will harm him

We have a 3d wall light above our 3 year olds bed . Can have it on all night or auto turn off .let's a nice amount of light off without being too bright and batteries seem to last a while too! He even turns it on and off himself during night if he wants to

Put in a radio/music.........lighting (From Ikea, rechargeable figure lamps that change colour) -----You should try to relax yourself as that shall transfer to your little one! If that fails, sing a little song, even if you think you cant sing, do it, it really works!!

Does she have a favourite character?
    My daughter had one like this when she was small and we upgraded to a hello kitty themed one when she got older.
    It charges on a base plate, so can be charged up during the day elsewhere and put in her room at night?
    Hope this helps?

blobbythin

Gosh your tempting me! Hubby might kill me :)))

Trust me you can do it . It's just just.like the pasty describes . Switch off the electricity , unscrew the old socket ,attach the live wire to the live terminal , same with earth and neutral and screw the whole thing back up . Job done . The new socket will come with instructions anyway . You've given birth , light switches are small fry compared to that

How about some battery operated fairy lights? She could even pick the colour.

Original Poster

rachelkajese

my boy is 8 & he's still afraid of the dark,he has the ceiling light … my boy is 8 & he's still afraid of the dark,he has the ceiling light on,the landing light on & every night either me or my husband have to get into bed & wait till he falls asleep ,I've tried reassuring him,told him that nothing will "get him " but it makes no difference ,so I have resigned myself to the fact that this is how it's going to be until he grows out of it or starts believing that nothing will harm him

I would think an 8 year old it would make more sense to be afraid.. but can't be easy! I'm sure he'll grow out of it!

Original Poster

DS58

We have a 3d wall light above our 3 year olds bed . Can have it on all … We have a 3d wall light above our 3 year olds bed . Can have it on all night or auto turn off .let's a nice amount of light off without being too bright and batteries seem to last a while too! He even turns it on and off himself during night if he wants to

Can u show me what it is?

Original Poster

chuckiedoll

Does she have a favourite character? My daughter had one like this when … Does she have a favourite character? My daughter had one like this when she was small and we upgraded to a hello kitty themed one when she got older.It charges on a base plate, so can be charged up during the day elsewhere and put in her room at night?Hope this helps?

Def an option! She adores peppa. How bright does it go?

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Trust me you can do it . It's just just.like the pasty describes . Switch … Trust me you can do it . It's just just.like the pasty describes . Switch off the electricity , unscrew the old socket ,attach the live wire to the live terminal , same with earth and neutral and screw the whole thing back up . Job done . The new socket will come with instructions anyway . You've given birth , light switches are small fry compared to that

Ha! May def give it a go!

Original Poster

mousey

Put in a radio/music.........lighting (From Ikea, rechargeable figure … Put in a radio/music.........lighting (From Ikea, rechargeable figure lamps that change colour) -----You should try to relax yourself as that shall transfer to your little one! If that fails, sing a little song, even if you think you cant sing, do it, it really works!!

Tried singing tonight! She loved it but suddenly jumped up remembering why I was there in the first place! Then I was getting fed up!

blobbythin

Def an option! She adores peppa. How bright does it go?

Not fantastically bright, more a gentle glow.
    Is good that it has the torch function so she can add 'extra light' to the situation if scared.

Original Poster

hottoast

How about some battery operated fairy lights? She could even pick the … How about some battery operated fairy lights? She could even pick the colour.

I would have thought something plain rather then fairy lights or rainbows would be safer for her?

They should not be put in her reach.

blobbythin

Can u show me what it is?

Tried to post a link but it went funny - Type 3d wall light into Google. We have the minion one .

The ones with a cracked wall sticker behind it not the mini ones

Just the thing - you're after a 'gro-light'. Run that through Google.

Offers a very dim light and plugs into you ceiling lightbulb fitting. Adjustable so you can phase out the light gradually. Worked a treat for our 3 year old.

Anyone can change out their light switch in a matter of minutes & it doesn't take any skill whatsoever.

You need:

A) You can get a dimmer from your local diy store (B&Q, Homebase) or for around £2 from Home Bargains &/or B&M if you have one of them near.

B) You also need a slotted screwdriver (one with the flat blade). You can get them cheap from Home Bargains, B&M or even Poundland/Poundworld. You need a smallish one.

C) A bit of tape (any tape will work) or ink marker (green/orange/pink etc)

Do this during the day with open curtains/blinds so you have enough light to see what you are doing. Turn off the lights via your MCB. If the switches aren't marked on your box, just flip the lot of them up. Go through your rooms & try the light switches switches. There should be no lights.

Now take out the 2 screws in the light switch in the bedroom. Pull the switch out gently. You will see wires attached to the back of it. Take a photo of this with your phone for reference. Get your new dimmer switch & look at the back of it. You will see 2 little screws on top. Unscrew them as far as you can without taking them completely out. Notice below each screw markings like L & L1. If you take a quick peek behind your existing switch, it will also have these markings. If you can't get it out far enough to see, take a photo. Unscrew one (only one right now) of the screws on the top of your existing light switch, put the screwdriver in the back & help ease out the wire(s) from where they go in. Grab a bit of tape/contrasting coloured ink marker & mark the wire(s). Make sure they can be clearly identified at this point. Take another photo.

Unscrew the second screw & use the screwdriver to help ease out the wires in this one.

Don't touch the green/yellow wire in the back of the box.

Look at your phone & the second photo you snapped. Take note of the terminal that you first unscrewed & marked the wires. Then look at your old switch. Look at the Letter on it be that L or L1 etc.

Now take your new dimmer switch, note the same letter & put all the marked wires in, then tighten the screw. Put the screwdriver in & give the wires a tug. If they don't come out, then it's tight enough. Put all the unmarked wires in the 2nd terminal & tighten the screw. Tug with screwdriver to make sure they don't come out.

Now it's tightening the new dimmer back up & for many, this can be the most frustrating part of the whole thing. Take the 2 long screws that came with your new dimmer (or you could reuse the old ones from your current switch). Look at the box in the wall. You will see a hole at each end. Put your thumb on each screw & gently push the box back on while trying to guide the screws towards these 2 holes. If you can't get it done this way, then angle the box & do 1 screw at a time.

Once you have it lined up, keep pressure on the box with one hand & grab the screwdriver. Tighten one side a little bit. Then move to the other screw. Tighten a bit, then go to the other screw & put it in a little over half way. Go back to the other screw & do it halfway. If both are definitely in, then you can fully tighten.

Pickup all screws, old switch, screwdriver & put away from toddler's reach.

Go back to your MCB & put all the switches back down. Go to the bedroom & try your new dimmer out.

.... and no re-wiring to do at your switch which is a bonus. The dimer switch is easy to do if you do decide to go down that route, but not for everyone changing wall switches.

Alternative to a dimmer switch would be replacing the bulb with a remote control bulb.
    £7.99 in B&M - can be found cheaper (or dearer!) on ebay / amazon

NB. might be a bit dull for a reading light though, even at maximum - the bulb also has colour control, so you can choose a colour that dials down the blue, taking it to an amber sunset shade.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…x_1
    More powerful option, don't often see these in 10W, but the model only seems to be in E27 screw - can use a BC-ES adapter, but makes it rather long

amazon.co.uk/Mag…ulb
    Ah, 10W in BC22.

NB. These are not "system" bulbs, they respond to their own remote only - just replace bulb, leave light switch on to allow bulb to be controlled by remote.

Have you looked up a gro light? I think it just attacks to your light and controlled by the normal switch depending on how many times it's pressed.

ThePasty

Buy dimmer switchTurn off electric at fuse boxUnscrew existing light … Buy dimmer switchTurn off electric at fuse boxUnscrew existing light switch.Remove wires from back of switch noting where they were attached (Live, Neutral, Earth etc)Connect said wires to new dimmer switch.Screw dimmer switch back in place.Turn electric back on.And you're done.

And replace bulb with a dimmable one
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2836
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1945
      3. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow59
      4. love affairs1857

See more discussions