Scart to HDMI connection

Posted 21st Apr
While in lockdown I have decided to try to digitize some of my old family VHS tapes.
I have a few old VHS players, and a Panasonic DVD recorder.

I wish to show the image on TV while making the DVD but the DVD recorder only has a scart output.

I see from the internet that a "scart to HDMI" cable wont work and I need some sort of "box" that sits between the Scart cable and the HDMI cable to turn it from analogue to digital.

I see a few of these boxes on Amazon but no idea what one may be best or if there is anything I should be checking before buying one.

Any one got one of these boxes who can give some advice or suggestion.

Any advice gratefully received.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Hi guilbert53. I have a couple of Panny DVD recorders too. Why not use component connectors to do the transfer? If you have the cable(s) of course. Your DVD Rec should have the Red/White/Yellow connectors for input (or even S-Video if VHS has it.) Then, your VHS would be connected to TV to view footage whilst recording to DVD.
Does your TV have an analogue tuner by any chance, or do you have an old portable that might, just a matter of connecting areal cable and tuning in
esar21/04/2020 11:03

Does your TV have an analogue tuner by any chance, or do you have an old …Does your TV have an analogue tuner by any chance, or do you have an old portable that might, just a matter of connecting areal cable and tuning in

Not sure that's the issue, esar. I think it's more that the DVD only has SCART output - not input. Unusual though - I thought all Panny DVD had twin SCART? It'll most certainly have a component input however...

Perhaps we'll know more when the OP returns...
Phsycronix21/04/2020 11:15

Not sure that's the issue, esar. I think it's more that the DVD only has …Not sure that's the issue, esar. I think it's more that the DVD only has SCART output - not input. Unusual though - I thought all Panny DVD had twin SCART? It'll most certainly have a component input however...Perhaps we'll know more when the OP returns...

It appears to be the TV at issue, only having hdmi in.
Although mine appears not to have component in, it has a 3.5mm jack hole for an adaptor, but not all component in jacks are wired the same, so it can be 50/50 if you've got the right lead, luckily, my TV came with the adaptor
esar21/04/2020 11:53

It appears to be the TV at issue, only having hdmi in.Although mine …It appears to be the TV at issue, only having hdmi in.Although mine appears not to have component in, it has a 3.5mm jack hole for an adaptor, but not all component in jacks are wired the same, so it can be 50/50 if you've got the right lead, luckily, my TV came with the adaptor

But that shouldn't cause an issue as the DVD (in theory) doesn't need to display an image - only the source which would be the VHS. The connection from the VHS to the DVD can be either SCART or Component. I thought it sounded as if the DVD recorder only has SCART out and not in (which most also have) and I am assuming the DVD recorder is also HDMI. If it is an old one that isn't, it WILL still be SCART out and ALSO have some sort of AV input too.

I'm going on the setup (similar to that which I use) which would be:

VHS to TV via SCART. (until we hear from OP, lets assume the TV has a SCART socket.)
VHS to DVD via either component "out" to "in" (or same using a SCART AV adapter.)
Play on VHS to display footage on screen. Record on DVD from AV source.

I guess we need more detail from OP as to his equipment specs. Most TV's (but I do recognise not all) still have at least one SCART port. Nearly all have some form of Component AV. Same with VHS. Even early ones had twin SCART so you could connect to another piece of kit. DVD recorders also had many AV connections. I have two HDMI Panny's. Both have HDMI, twin SCART and component AV. An old non-HDMI Toshiba DVD recorder I have still has twin SCART and component. Plenty of ways to 'skin the cat' so I'm sure the OP will be able to find a combination that will work.

If the TV is HDMI only, you could still get what he has suggested - a SCART to HDMI to connect the VHS to the TV but then you still need a connection from the VHS to DVD - hence you must use something else, i.e. component. I'd be surprised if the VHS doesn't have those as they were on VHS since the beginning.

Let's hope they come back with some more info.
Phsycronix21/04/2020 12:14

But that shouldn't cause an issue as the DVD (in theory) doesn't need to …But that shouldn't cause an issue as the DVD (in theory) doesn't need to display an image - only the source which would be the VHS. The connection from the VHS to the DVD can be either SCART or Component. I thought it sounded as if the DVD recorder only has SCART out and not in (which most also have) and I am assuming the DVD recorder is also HDMI. If it is an old one that isn't, it WILL still be SCART out and ALSO have some sort of AV input too.I'm going on the setup (similar to that which I use) which would be:VHS to TV via SCART. (until we hear from OP, lets assume the TV has a SCART socket.)VHS to DVD via either component "out" to "in" (or same using a SCART AV adapter.)Play on VHS to display footage on screen. Record on DVD from AV source.I guess we need more detail from OP as to his equipment specs. Most TV's (but I do recognise not all) still have at least one SCART port. Nearly all have some form of Component AV. Same with VHS. Even early ones had twin SCART so you could connect to another piece of kit. DVD recorders also had many AV connections. I have two HDMI Panny's. Both have HDMI, twin SCART and component AV. An old non-HDMI Toshiba DVD recorder I have still has twin SCART and component. Plenty of ways to 'skin the cat' so I'm sure the OP will be able to find a combination that will work.If the TV is HDMI only, you could still get what he has suggested - a SCART to HDMI to connect the VHS to the TV but then you still need a connection from the VHS to DVD - hence you must use something else, i.e. component. I'd be surprised if the VHS doesn't have those as they were on VHS since the beginning.Let's hope they come back with some more info.

And don't forget to disable the OSD on the video if it only has one scart
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

I have all this old equipment (VHS players, DVD recorder etc) plus all the cables etc stored in a spare room and have not connected them all together for about 5 years.

So I will have a go at connecting them all together (and see if they all still work!) and take on board some of your suggestions.

Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions