School admission

Posted 3rd Mar
My son was given a place yesterday. This is a school I did not list on my form. Is there anything I can do
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 13:14

I'm thinking of appealing but what kind of reasons can I give, my sons …I'm thinking of appealing but what kind of reasons can I give, my sons friends are all going to his preferred school and he is upset. Is it possible to miss out 2 months and get on waiting list. Or consider taking a year out

Tell him to suck it up. He will make new friends.

Missing school or taking a year off is ridiculous
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 16:15

I only listed 1 school because I didn't think when I did it

This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good reputation, chances are it’s over subscribed. With no second choice to offer you, you kind of fall to the bottom of the pile to be given what’s left over.
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 3rd Mar
45 Comments
Identity theft 😴
You need to follow the appeal procedure your local education authority offer. That may not resolve (they score and give preferred choices first where possible) and you may end up on a waiting list for next available spot in your preferred choices.

Who gets those spots are also scored.
You can appeal.

But you will always be behind children with siblings, children with certain needs and those in closest proximity. It gets even more complicated with church schools where there can be a requirement to of attended church.

But appeal, there will be lots of people doing the same in the next few weeks so children will change schools maybe freeing up a space for your little one. Good luck!
Bit of an odd date to be told?
National admissions day is 16 April 2020 - or next working day if a weekend.
Surely it tells you on the form what you can do next?
Kbramman03/03/2020 12:07

Bit of an odd date to be told?National admissions day is 16 April 2020 - …Bit of an odd date to be told?National admissions day is 16 April 2020 - or next working day if a weekend.

It was 'National Offer Day' yesterday according to Twitter.
McShane103/03/2020 12:20

It was 'National Offer Day' yesterday according to Twitter.

Having just checked a bit more, it’s secondary school offer day.
Not really as well highlighted as primary schools admissions which is the April date.

Thanks for update
Do be aware that the appeals panel has very few grounds for granting appeals and the success rate is very low. If you do choose to appeal, make sure you understand the admissions criteria in your area and base your appeal on those.
I'm thinking of appealing but what kind of reasons can I give, my sons friends are all going to his preferred school and he is upset. Is it possible to miss out 2 months and get on waiting list. Or consider taking a year out
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 13:14

I'm thinking of appealing but what kind of reasons can I give, my sons …I'm thinking of appealing but what kind of reasons can I give, my sons friends are all going to his preferred school and he is upset. Is it possible to miss out 2 months and get on waiting list. Or consider taking a year out

Tell him to suck it up. He will make new friends.

Missing school or taking a year off is ridiculous
tom2kadd103/03/2020 13:22

Tell him to suck it up. He will make new friends. Missing school or taking …Tell him to suck it up. He will make new friends. Missing school or taking a year off is ridiculous

The school he was offered is really bad and I checked out ofsted report and it's inadequate
It's not just that, the school is too far away for a young lad to go early in the morning
It’s not worth appealing to the Local Authority one the grounds that he’ll miss his friends and is too far away. They’ll only be interested in the educational side. You need to concentrate on why this school is detrimental to his educational needs. When you made the application did you state any sport achievements or talent such as playing an instrument or outstanding at mathematics etc. Unless you can prove your beliefs in front of a panel, then you might just have to accept the place and go on the waiting list for your preferred schools.
Toptrumpet03/03/2020 13:39

It’s not worth appealing to the Local Authority one the grounds that he’ll …It’s not worth appealing to the Local Authority one the grounds that he’ll miss his friends and is too far away. They’ll only be interested in the educational side. You need to concentrate on why this school is detrimental to his educational needs. When you made the application did you state any sport achievements or talent such as playing an instrument or outstanding at mathematics etc. Unless you can prove your beliefs in front of a panel, then you might just have to accept the place and go on the waiting list for your preferred schools.

My son clearly told me he doesn't want to go to this school so can they force him to go there
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 13:26

It's not just that, the school is too far away for a young lad to go early …It's not just that, the school is too far away for a young lad to go early in the morning

That's the main reason, if it's too far away, on what grounds have they rejected his other placement surely if that's closer he should be going too that school. Is this the closest school too your house or a different one. Other things you can do is explain there isn't adequate public or relaible public transportation, or safe for him too walk too such a far school. Other than that I am afraid not much else you can say unless he has other reasons like medical grounds etc.

If it's just about friends tell him don't worry you will soon make new friends and there must be others whom have been told the same thing.

Other options is look at other schools closer by or move your son too a house closer too school you could possibly rent a olac nearby or move in with any relatives closer too the school and explain this too them maybe it will help. All depends in the school or whomever deals with the stuff.
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 14:15

My son clearly told me he doesn't want to go to this school so can they …My son clearly told me he doesn't want to go to this school so can they force him to go there

They can’t force him, however you have parental responsibility for him and that includes his attendance at school. That’s why many parents are taken to court by the Local Authority due to their child’s non attendance or truancy. And that is a road I wouldn’t like any parent to go down.
You need to find out which schools are at capacity and which still have placements and then decide what to do.
MynameisM03/03/2020 14:30

That's the main reason, if it's too far away, on what grounds have they …That's the main reason, if it's too far away, on what grounds have they rejected his other placement surely if that's closer he should be going too that school. Is this the closest school too your house or a different one. Other things you can do is explain there isn't adequate public or relaible public transportation, or safe for him too walk too such a far school. Other than that I am afraid not much else you can say unless he has other reasons like medical grounds etc. If it's just about friends tell him don't worry you will soon make new friends and there must be others whom have been told the same thing.Other options is look at other schools closer by or move your son too a house closer too school you could possibly rent a olac nearby or move in with any relatives closer too the school and explain this too them maybe it will help. All depends in the school or whomever deals with the stuff.

It was not possible for your child to be offered a place at any of your preferred school(s). This is because there were more applications than places available and other applicants had a higher priority than your child under the school's admission policy.
A place has been reserved for your child at the school named above. You will shortly receive a letter from us, which is the formal offer of a place, with full details of the decision and what to do next. Please read this letter before doing anything further.
Based on the reason my child hasn't been offered a place can I appeal this decision
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 15:40

Based on the reason my child hasn't been offered a place can I appeal this …Based on the reason my child hasn't been offered a place can I appeal this decision

Yes. They haven't really give you much details there they will be sending another letter which will explain a little bit more but I don't think alot more. Speak with other parents I'm sure they will have missed out aswell.

Do you have any other children going in the school already if so add this as a reason also. Is the school you wanted in your catchment area.

When you put a letter in out down all your reasons, they may have just done a quick distance check but in reality too get too the other school maybe really difficult for a young person and also you need too drop them of and you drop another child of or it clashes with your work start etc. Tladd these reasons check the start and finish times for the other school aswell explain this is going to be a problem etc etc. Im sure you have enough good reason for not being able too get too/go too that school they have said.
It’s not that simple unfortunately, you have to put a case together outlining the exact reason/s why you want the Local Authority to entertain your appeal. You have to attend an appeals panel board with your compelling reasons as to why they should find a place in one of your preferred schools.
You need to find out how many applications were received for each of your preferred schools and which were oversubscribed, then look at the admissions policy and decide which school you think would be best to target to gain a placement.
Toptrumpet03/03/2020 15:56

It’s not that simple unfortunately, you have to put a case together o …It’s not that simple unfortunately, you have to put a case together outlining the exact reason/s why you want the Local Authority to entertain your appeal. You have to attend an appeals panel board with your compelling reasons as to why they should find a place in one of your preferred schools. You need to find out how many applications were received for each of your preferred schools and which were oversubscribed, then look at the admissions policy and decide which school you think would be best to target to gain a placement.

One mistake I did make is I only listed 1 school and not 6 so I'm regretting my decision now
When you chose schools did you just list the top 5 schools per se in your area?
Lots of schools use distance as a factor so if your number one choice is further than 2 others your falling down here possibly.
But as above you need to look at your local authorities criteria for places and historical catchment area data which will give you a clue as to why no place at number 1 or 2 choice
Toptrumpet03/03/2020 15:56

It’s not that simple unfortunately, you have to put a case together o …It’s not that simple unfortunately, you have to put a case together outlining the exact reason/s why you want the Local Authority to entertain your appeal. You have to attend an appeals panel board with your compelling reasons as to why they should find a place in one of your preferred schools. You need to find out how many applications were received for each of your preferred schools and which were oversubscribed, then look at the admissions policy and decide which school you think would be best to target to gain a placement.

None of my kids go to this school, they are in primary school which is in another direction and time is same so there will be a clash and I also have a 6month old so I can't be at three places at the same time
7ommy.7803/03/2020 16:14

When you chose schools did you just list the top 5 schools per se in your …When you chose schools did you just list the top 5 schools per se in your area? Lots of schools use distance as a factor so if your number one choice is further than 2 others your falling down here possibly. But as above you need to look at your local authorities criteria for places and historical catchment area data which will give you a clue as to why no place at number 1 or 2 choice

The school they’ve reserved a place for, how far is it? How many buses or trains would he need to use.?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 3rd Mar

This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good reputation, chances are it’s over subscribed. With no second choice to offer you, you kind of fall to the bottom of the pile to be given what’s left over.
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 3rd Mar
As a start get on the waiting list for the preferred choice as, others could be in a similar situation to you and the LA effectively trade your places about
The school admissions form isn’t the simplest thing to navigate and fill in. Usually, putting 3 preferred schools should be enough, however, now you’ve got to fight to try and get a different school and that’s going to be an uphill battle unless you do your homework.
As previously said, go on your Local Authority’s Education portal and see how the intake from last year was made up, how many got a preferred school, how many within a certain catchment etc. That way you have facts that no appeal panel can dispute.

The form states the importance of listing as many schools as possible to avoid been put in the situation you are now in.

7ommy.7803/03/2020 16:21

This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good r …This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good reputation, chances are it’s over subscribed. With no second choice to offer you, you kind of fall to the bottom of the pile to be given what’s left over.

7ommy.78 summed up what will have happened.

My son didn't get his first choice but got his second. I wasn't particularly happy about sending him but he has done really well there and it actually worked out well for him.

It might be worth giving the school offered a try. Inadequate schools often having a lot of work out into them to help them improve.
7ommy.7803/03/2020 16:21

This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good r …This is where you’ll have fallen down if that school has a v good reputation, chances are it’s over subscribed. With no second choice to offer you, you kind of fall to the bottom of the pile to be given what’s left over.

I know it's my fault and because of me my son will suffer, so I need to appeal and get it right or I will regret the next 5 years of my life as my son
Toptrumpet03/03/2020 16:25

The school admissions form isn’t the simplest thing to navigate and fill i …The school admissions form isn’t the simplest thing to navigate and fill in. Usually, putting 3 preferred schools should be enough, however, now you’ve got to fight to try and get a different school and that’s going to be an uphill battle unless you do your homework. As previously said, go on your Local Authority’s Education portal and see how the intake from last year was made up, how many got a preferred school, how many within a certain catchment etc. That way you have facts that no appeal panel can dispute.

Do you have a link, which website shall I check
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 16:52

Do you have a link, which website shall I check

Pm me your local authority and your postcode, and I’ll see if I can find any links for you. All local authorities are different and have different admission policies and criteria.
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 16:51

I know it's my fault and because of me my son will suffer, so I need to …I know it's my fault and because of me my son will suffer, so I need to appeal and get it right or I will regret the next 5 years of my life as my son

Don’t panic yet, you need to get the second letter to fully understand what’s going on and what to do next. Easy for me to say, but this is really early stages and you’ve just been given the headline news so far.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 3rd Mar
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 16:13

One mistake I did make is I only listed 1 school and not 6 so I'm …One mistake I did make is I only listed 1 school and not 6 so I'm regretting my decision now

Well there you go. Why on earth would you only list one school, did you not think at the time what might happen if you were unable to secure a place there?
Haircut_10003/03/2020 22:09

Well there you go. Why on earth would you only list one school, did you …Well there you go. Why on earth would you only list one school, did you not think at the time what might happen if you were unable to secure a place there?

I didn't think and I thought if I list one school then they will give it
19DembaBa1903/03/2020 23:00

I didn't think and I thought if I list one school then they will give it

Phone up your preferred school and get on their waiting list asap.

My daughters friend went on the list and was eventually offered a place last June.
Haircut_10003/03/2020 22:09

Well there you go. Why on earth would you only list one school, did you …Well there you go. Why on earth would you only list one school, did you not think at the time what might happen if you were unable to secure a place there?

Operative words being, "did, not, think", and now he wants to appeal because he didn't put any thought into it in the first place, just assumed that if you only put in one option, that would increase the chances of being accepted?? Oh dear.

And people blame the kids? What about the parent's?
It is quite a stressful thing, pretty much all schools are highly rated where I live luckily but Every year on Facebook there will be the odd one in a similar situation to above due to the parent believing they have a choice. They basically copy the school ranking list irrespective of the fact the top 3 say are the other side of town and they have two schools closer.
They don’t get any of their choices and rant at the L A for failing them and their child. Last year one lady was only offered a place in a school 15 miles away, due to the thinking she had a choice.
Hopefully with the help of @Toptrumpet you’ll understand how it works in your area and resolve the situation
I’m still waiting on a pm from OP, hopefully they’ve found the information themselves and have already started phoning round schools etc. and putting their child’s name on the waiting lists.
Toptrumpet04/03/2020 10:30

I’m still waiting on a pm from OP, hopefully they’ve found the information …I’m still waiting on a pm from OP, hopefully they’ve found the information themselves and have already started phoning round schools etc. and putting their child’s name on the waiting lists.

You haven't replied to me. I sent you message
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants