Groups

School and head lice

My daughter is in first year reception at her school and she's brought home nits from her school on 5 occasions leading up to Christmas. 3 of the times I told her teacher and they sent out a feeble letter telling parents to check their kids heads. The other 2 times was last day of half term and last day of term before xmas.

This week, her school started again after Christmas break and she brings home nits again!

It's like some parents don't realise their kids have nits and do anything about it. I've spent near enough £100 on nits treatments (most are trash bar hedrin) and repellents (all of which are trash) and have to treat the whole family (2 adults + 2 kids) because we all get them when she brings them home!

Has anyone ever been in this situation and managed to get the school to do something about it? I don't want to see another feeble letter which some idiot parents will ignore anyway.

37 Comments

You can't win, you have to accept it. It sux I know.

Best answer I've found is to use a nitty gritty comb every evening for twenty minutes. It tears the nits apart.
    Edited by: "cowsindahouse" 7th Jan

We started being really strict with parents and each time we saw Infestations we send kids home until the were treated. It's not fair for staff or children. And some of our parents are simply lazy and can't be bothered checking or treating kids it's neglect

My schools the same just a letter home, which certain parents ignore again and again. I always put my daughters hair in a plat so it's harder to catch them. And every bath time go through her hair with a nit comb. Since doing this we've not had an infestation. You can get nit treatment free from the doctor.

Have I been transported to mumsnet by mistake? Have a meeting with your school head, and suggest he/she start taking a tougher stance. Kids with headlice should be sent home till treated and clean! Try a one man protest with banners and loudhaler outside the school gates.

you can get the nit lotions for free at your local chemist using the care at the chemist scheme.. different county's might call it somthing else like minor ailment scheme or similar

Original Poster

cowsindahouse

You can't win, you have to accept it. It sux I know.Best answer I've … You can't win, you have to accept it. It sux I know.Best answer I've found is to use a nitty gritty comb every evening for twenty minutes. It tears the nits apart.

​Yeah got the nitty gritty comb, her hair is so thick though so difficult to get them all out with that.

Original Poster

shoeaddict2310

you can get the nit lotions for free at your local chemist using the care … you can get the nit lotions for free at your local chemist using the care at the chemist scheme.. different county's might call it somthing else like minor ailment scheme or similar

​I wasn't aware of that, will check it out!

Original Poster

peeej1978

Have I been transported to mumsnet by mistake? Have a meeting with your … Have I been transported to mumsnet by mistake? Have a meeting with your school head, and suggest he/she start taking a tougher stance. Kids with headlice should be sent home till treated and clean! Try a one man protest with banners and loudhaler outside the school gates.

​Yeah I didn't find a dadsnet forum unfortunately.

Good idea though. Any deals on megaphones?

Take your kid(s) out of school they learn nothing useful there anyway.

I used to a have a friend in school who would bring his dad classical musical selection on audio cassettes dub them n give them to girls for free.
    GOD I'M OLD but point is bringing something isn't as bad as above said example

The nit treatment for family is free from your local pharmacy just like stop smoking one. The only thing is they take all your details so go on a quiet time

Remember the good ol days when schools had a nurse? I do.

Or just pay for the treatment and don't bankrupt the NHS even more......

ON the nit front, the only thing you can do is press the head about it and if their response is suitable or action is not being taken then you can ask to speak to the governing body

artnada

​oh the good old not nurse every few months came in and checked all kids . oh for the good old days!

ritchiedrama

Take your kid(s) out of school they learn nothing useful there anyway.

Why even bother with schools? Probably benefit the country if we just closed them all *rolls eyes*.

The chemist scheme will only do it so many times. Like your daughter mine got them at the end of every term and inbetween. I repeatedly told school. The odd letter was issued but nothing happened. I requested she was moved from her normal table buddy. Cut her hair shorter and drilled into her about not touching heads etc. Touch wood nothing this year.

everypennycounts

We started being really strict with parents and each time we saw … We started being really strict with parents and each time we saw Infestations we send kids home until the were treated. It's not fair for staff or children. And some of our parents are simply lazy and can't be bothered checking or treating kids it's neglect

I'm curious when you say "we started being really strict ...and sending kids home" , as to when you did this? Current guidelines do not really allow schools to do this any more. The school should send home the letter to encourage all parents to check their child's hair at the same time. It's not recommended to exclude any child for a problem beyond the child's control because of social stigma. If a parent is deemed neglectful and their child constantly suffers from nits that are not treated, it is accepted to look at wether other professionals should be bought in to assist the child. I have two jobs, one of which is in a school, so I'm fairly up to date with this issue.
    On a personal level, I used to spray my daughters long hair with tree tea oil each morning which seemed to worked, and plait it tightly during any outbreaks.

The nit treatments stop being effective after a while I was advised to put lots of conditioner on which temporarily paralyses the nits so that you can comb them out with a nit comb. spray tea tree oil on your daughters hair before school as this repels the nits..We had the same problem at our school, unfortunately there are some parents who just don't care.

You could organise a parent protest outside the school every day. During the protest you could all hold anti-nit signs containing the face of the kids with nits and chant slogans designed to shame the parents into action.

A tight plait, if she can take it, and hairspray. Children should be sent home if they have nits but not all schools do this. We speak to parents now and it's reported if action isn't taken.

None of the treatments from chemist work, Hedrin is useless and ineffective, Might kill the odd nit but not the eggs so they just come back.

Also if it's first week back I doubt you'd notice an infestation until they had had them for a week or two, That's probably why they're coming back, Probably not killing them all or removing the eggs so they're reinfesting.

The best way which 100% works is conditioner and nittygritty comb, Shower or bath them and go through there hair whilst they've still got conditioner in. Do that every 3 days until clear, Might be worth going through hair everyday with nittygritty, My daughters got thick hair and detangling spray used to help.

They're horrible things.

i add a few drops of tea tree oil to the kids shampoo then use the nitty gritty comb after every wash. i also use a homemade nit lotion then a tight plait every school day.

Original Poster

shauneco

None of the treatments from chemist work, Hedrin is useless and … None of the treatments from chemist work, Hedrin is useless and ineffective, Might kill the odd nit but not the eggs so they just come back.Also if it's first week back I doubt you'd notice an infestation until they had had them for a week or two, That's probably why they're coming back, Probably not killing them all or removing the eggs so they're reinfesting. The best way which 100% works is conditioner and nittygritty comb, Shower or bath them and go through there hair whilst they've still got conditioner in. Do that every 3 days until clear, Might be worth going through hair everyday with nittygritty, My daughters got thick hair and detangling spray used to help.They're horrible things.

​Eggs don't remain unhatced for 2 weeks. We combed her hair every other day with nitty gritty and found nothing over the holidays including on the last day of her holidays. Yesterday after 2 days back we find giant nits in her hair.

It's definitely from someone else.

Yep rings so true about parents to lazy to treat their children or just don't care about their kids or anyone else's.
    The amount of time my daughter has been treated is a joke I have complained to the school and all you get is will send letters out.
    Think one of the problems here the school is terrified of upsetting certain ethnic parents and being accused of picking on their children.
    I agree the only way to sort this out bring back the nit nurse and when kids found with bits contact the parents and explain untill fully treated and clean they will not be allowed back in school,simple,
    We have found tescos nit treatment to be excellent in killing the bits and the eggs,give that a try.

Lol sorry about the bits which should be nits..

Have you considered putting them in a boarding school?

Makes me glad to only have boys... never had a problem, touch wood - but the school are forever sending the "someone in your child's class has nits" letter home.

I have just heard from mums at my little ones school that mayonnaise is brilliant for nits. Google it if interested but I believe it was soak the hair and scalp in it, cover it all up somehow and leave it overnight. May need to use an old pillow case but the person I know who has just tried it has said it did the job thoroughly!

Try tee tree shampoo and conditioner, keep long hair in plaits. Even put a spot of tee tree oil behind her ears.

If I were you I'd make an appointment to address the head teacher about this. There's no point trying to combat head lice if the source of the problem persists. Schools do still hold a duty of care and they should be proactive when it comes to tackling these problems. Head lice are not a hard or expensive thing to eradicate, when everyone is treated. Eggs can take 7-10 days to hatch, so be vigilant!

The_IMF

​Eggs don't remain unhatced for 2 weeks. We combed her hair every other d … ​Eggs don't remain unhatced for 2 weeks. We combed her hair every other day with nitty gritty and found nothing over the holidays including on the last day of her holidays. Yesterday after 2 days back we find giant nits in her hair.It's definitely from someone else.

FYI, nits are the egg casings

Vosene do a special shampoo for head lice, which is a anti-deterrent. My daughter had it a few times too & she has thick long hair & it has been a mission to treat her & the family. I used the lotion & then started using this shampoo (touch wood) no nits again. Hope it clears up soon.

I'm itching my head now X)

Keep on at the school, if there is a class parent page on FB like one mum set up for our school to share information have a moan on there. Talk to the parents of the other kids and hope the message gets around. Unfortunately it seems to be a thing at most schools in Reception and year one. Buy lots of cheap conditioner and make it part of the hair wash routine to comb through their hair with a nitty gritty comb .
    Edited by: "OnPoint" 7th Jan

Schools are always rife with nits and there's nothing much you can do about other kids having them. At our school the parents get issued with a note to say they have been spotted but certainly don't send kids home because of it. Forget treatments from the chemist just buy the cheapest conditioner you can get and smother the hair in it & use a metal nit comb. Do this every other day & your child should remain clear. I think the problem is you judge people by your own standards & you have to realise that some parents don't give a damn! Some kids turn up to school with food all over their clothes and worse- it's clear they've not seen a washing machine for weeks.

artnada

Was it nitty Nora the head explorer X)
    Someone didn't like my reply (_;)

Original Poster

ronniejames23

Schools are always rife with nits and there's nothing much you can do … Schools are always rife with nits and there's nothing much you can do about other kids having them. At our school the parents get issued with a note to say they have been spotted but certainly don't send kids home because of it. Forget treatments from the chemist just buy the cheapest conditioner you can get and smother the hair in it & use a metal nit comb. Do this every other day & your child should remain clear. I think the problem is you judge people by your own standards & you have to realise that some parents don't give a damn! Some kids turn up to school with food all over their clothes and worse- it's clear they've not seen a washing machine for weeks.

​This made me chuckle. You're right, I do find it had to comprehend why some parents are like that. I overheard one parent complaining to another about how some kids smell like they haven't bathed and finished her moan with "I make sure my kids have a bath at least once a week". oO

My daughter has long hair and is always hugging her friends. Making herself a nit target. She's had them a few times. I've used the lotions but I found the best thing was straightening her hair with ghd's. You need to get them to sit really still so you can go as close to the scalp as possible. It burns eggs and lice. I plait or bun her hair everyday with hair spray to try and keep them away.

As somebody else basically said... it's just somethig you have to put up with unfortunately. There is very little the shool can do so a meetig with the head will likely do nothing. Best thing to do is keep your daughter's hair in a tight plait and just go over it quickly with a nit comb every time you wash it. That way if they do get picked up you can nip it in the bud before they breed. When we find them we just use conditioner and a nit comb every other day for a week and it totally eliminates them. Ot takes 3 day for a nit to matured enogh to breed so you never want to leave it more than 2 days between combing if they have nits.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1328
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767102
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1221
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread422814431

See more discussions