Groups
    EXPIRED

School apologises for 'homophobic' test question

73 Comments

http://lbc.co.uk/mm/image/41208.jpg

How can 70% of somebody marry 90% of somebody else?

Stupid test.

Also... God is a 'he'? Did nobody complain about that?

fanpages

How can 70% of somebody marry 90% of somebody else?Stupid test.Also... … How can 70% of somebody marry 90% of somebody else?Stupid test.Also... God is a 'he'? Did nobody complain about that?

​it means there are more men than women

Didn't anyone complain about the lack of punctuation?

didn't anyone complain about prize of chocolate

stuarthanley

The typeface used was "so last millennium" as well.

shadey12

didn't anyone complain about prize of chocolate

stuarthanley

^ Perhaps we should concentrate on a collection of words making sense being the first priority.

Stupid question. The grammar annoyed me more than the blatant homophobia and I'm an actual real-life gay...

fanpages

How can 70% of somebody marry 90% of somebody else?Stupid test.Also... … How can 70% of somebody marry 90% of somebody else?Stupid test.Also... God is a 'he'? Did nobody complain about that?

14 out of 20 men are married = 70% of men are married
    14 out of 16 women are married = 88% of women are married

Not sure what numbers make it 90% women without thinking about it more, currently stuck at 88%

"The school say the paper was written by a volunteer, a retired teacher, and that they weren't aware of the question before the paper was handed out."

Seriously? No-one thought it might have been an idea to proof read it first?

spoo

"The school say the paper was written by a volunteer, a retired teacher, … "The school say the paper was written by a volunteer, a retired teacher, and that they weren't aware of the question before the paper was handed out."Seriously? No-one thought it might have been an idea to proof read it first?

* proofread.

fanpages

* proofread.

79%

Original Poster

fanpages

Going for the Ghostbusters-reboot thing for The Bible there, I see. Controversial stuff.

Well done that Q setter at least they have got folk interested in maths maybe I'll put in a Biology Q on human reproduction and genetics with the correct insertion?
    Edited by: "sowotsdis" 16th Sep 2016

Firefly1

14 out of 20 men are married = 70% of men are married14 out of 16 women … 14 out of 20 men are married = 70% of men are married14 out of 16 women are married = 88% of women are marriedNot sure what numbers make it 90% women without thinking about it more, currently stuck at 88%

Better question:
    How many of those married are sleeping with somebody else?

Anyone worked out the answer as opposed to ranting on like they do here in this Misc thread, thinking that they know how to cure all ills of the nation. Come on you smart Alecs.

fanpages

Better question:How many of those married are sleeping with somebody else?

Or we could improve our maths

Number of women married: 18 out of 20 = 90% marriage
    Number of men married: 18 out of 26 = 69.2% marriage rate

As far as I can tell, this question is mathematically flawed. It may not be the exact question being asked, but the percentages provided are impossible to achieve.

splender

Anyone worked out the answer as opposed to ranting on like they do here … Anyone worked out the answer as opposed to ranting on like they do here in this Misc thread, thinking that they know how to cure all ills of the nation. Come on you smart Alecs.

Yep:
    stuarthanley

79%

79% still

78.75%

fanpages

...Also... God is a 'he'? Did nobody complain about that?

dxx

Going for the Ghostbusters-reboot thing for The Bible there, I see. … Going for the Ghostbusters-reboot thing for The Bible there, I see. Controversial stuff.

We all know that Mary of Shmi-Skywalker-Nazareth-Carpenter was really God & gave birth to Anakin Jesus.

stuarthanley

79% still

Technically 90% of women and 70% of men cannot be married to one-another (Post 17). Therefore you have to get as close as you can using the closest numbers of people possible. This is 36 people out of 46 people married, resulting in a 78% marriatal rate after rounding.

Therefore the answer is 78%
    Edited by: "Firefly1" 16th Sep 2016

raj75

78.75%

Correct

Firefly1

...Therefore you have to get as close as you can using the closest … ...Therefore you have to get as close as you can using the closest numbers of people possible. This is 36 people out of 46 people married, resulting in a 78% marriatal rate after rounding. Therefore the answer is 78%

Closet?

An intermediate stage is (9x2x0.7/(9+7))×100%

fanpages

Closet?

Get back into your Closet.

I'll get my coat.

Oh wait, you're already in there

Closest is a word.... superlative adjective: closest - I believe its use is correct.

Firefly1

Technically 90% of women and 70% of men cannot be married to one-another … Technically 90% of women and 70% of men cannot be married to one-another (Post 17). Therefore you have to get as close as you can using the closest numbers of people possible. This is 36 people out of 46 people married, resulting in a 78% marriatal rate after rounding. Therefore the answer is 78%

311 Women. 400 men = town populous
    Edited by: "SJHan" 16th Sep 2016

splender

An intermediate stage is (9x2x0.7/(9+7))×100%

Multiplying by 100%?

Are you sure?

Firefly1

Technically 90% of women and 70% of men cannot be married to one-another … Technically 90% of women and 70% of men cannot be married to one-another (Post 17). Therefore you have to get as close as you can using the closest numbers of people possible. This is 36 people out of 46 people married, resulting in a 78% marriatal rate after rounding. Therefore the answer is 78%

70 women - 90% = 63 exactly
    90 men - 70% = 63 exactly

Yes I'm bored this afternoon

Edited by: "spoo" 16th Sep 2016

stuarthanley

311 women. 400 men.

I thought this thread was about a maths question rather than comparing our sexual history.

stuarthanley

311 Women. 400 men.

The same number of women must be married to men. How many women are married to men? That doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Just about sums up a lot of names here who regularly drill down principles ,political correctness, spelling mistakes, and what is right and wrong, how to eat a bacon sandwich, then cannot even deliver a bit of primary school English language communication and simple arithmetic without getting all lofty with their principles and jibes in "Misc".

spoo

90 women - 70% = 63 exactly70 men - 90% = 63 exactlyYes I'm bored this … 90 women - 70% = 63 exactly70 men - 90% = 63 exactlyYes I'm bored this afternoon

That's it Thanks.

Firefly1

The same number of women must be married to men. How many women are … The same number of women must be married to men. How many women are married to men? That doesn't make much sense to me at the moment.

Could be a few bigamists.!

shauneco

Could be a few bigamists.!

No, that's not what god intended.

splender

Just about sums up a lot of names here who regularly drill down … Just about sums up a lot of names here who regularly drill down principles ,political correctness, spelling mistakes, and what is right and wrong, how to eat a bacon sandwich, then cannot even deliver a bit of primary school English language communication and simple arithmetic without getting all lofty with their principles and jibes in "Misc".

http://66.media.tumblr.com/9a70e40b46e497585eec4074dc32387b/tumblr_o9wjtiwaKK1tifikbo2_250.gif

too busy making tea to be right

Edited by: "brilly" 16th Sep 2016

fanpages

Also... God is a 'he'? Did nobody complain about that?

Good point, the correct pronoun is He, because God identifies as a narcissist.

Original Poster

splender

Just about sums up a lot of names here who regularly drill down … Just about sums up a lot of names here who regularly drill down principles ,political correctness, spelling mistakes, and what is right and wrong, how to eat a bacon sandwich, then cannot even deliver a bit of primary school English language communication and simple arithmetic without getting all lofty with their principles and jibes in "Misc".

Jesus, dude, I think you're taking this far too seriously. Just have a laugh at some ridiculously outdated views that a school made a bit of a balls-up to distribute, and have a nice cup of tea or something.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Best Wi-Fi extender22
    2. Car park fine UKPC1010
    3. Boxes for moving house?66
    4. Competitions on HUKD712

See more discussions